jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why is it that the lawyers fees are not limited like doctors fees are limited?

1. flacoinohio profile image81
    flacoinohioposted 4 years ago

Why is it that the lawyers fees are not limited like doctors fees are limited?

Why is that that doctors fees are limited and are not paid on time by the Federal government, but lawyers fees are largely unregulated and fees must be paid in most cases even if a lawyers client loses his or her case?   Should we not be holding lawyers accountable for excessive service and retainer fees especially when they do not perform as expected or when they lose your case?    I don't see politicians rushing to control excessive charges or holding lawyers accountable for losing cases.  Why don"t lawyers or politicians have to retake the bar exam or a politician exam every 6-8 years?

2. profile image0
    alexsaez1983posted 4 years ago

Are you talking about criminal or civil law? I know that here in Canada, personal injury lawyers charge on a contingency basis, meaning they get nothing unless they win, which is 30% of the settlement (I used to work as a legal assistant).
    As far as accountability, in Canada, lawyers have to answer to an oversight committee, such as the Law Society, where unhappy clients can successfully file complaints against lawyers for any unethical practices, such as misconduct, overcharging, etc. I would image the U.S. has some sort of similar system in place?

3. Ericdierker profile image53
    Ericdierkerposted 4 years ago

99% of lawyers do not take government money for serving clients. I think it is about 75% of doctors that do.
    So a guy sues you for 100K and he wind 45K. Is that a win or a loss. An independent doctor has no cap on his fees. So a doctor works his butt off to save my child's life. My child dies. The doctor should not get paid? All fifty US states have judicial and State Bar oversight with huge requirements for Continuing Education. Many lawyers pay twice the % of income toward insurance as doctors.
    But mainly this question is way off base on the win or lose get paid notion. You kill someone in cold blood you scream your lawyer lost because because you got convicted of a lesser charge --- or you are the one screaming because the defense lawyer in the Treyvon Martin won.
    Come on Flaco write hub on this and rant but your question is clearly just bitching about something.
    And I hate lawyers.

4. The Frog Prince profile image78
    The Frog Princeposted 4 years ago

The same reason they didn't put tort reform in Obamacare.

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image96
    DzyMsLizzyposted 4 years ago

Q.  You know why sharks don't attack lawyers?

A.  Professional courtesy...

6. LandmarkWealth profile image80
    LandmarkWealthposted 4 years ago

One reason is because Dr's accept money from the government through programs like Medicare and Medicaid.  Although that is slowly changing.  Also D.C is controlled by lawyers.  So they have so complicated our society with excessive laws and regulations, that it is hard to open a business or hire an employee without a legal consultation anymore.  Clearly they want it that way.  It's job security for them.  The more litigious a society they create, the more we need them.

The fee a lawyer charges will vary dramatically.  Contrary to popular opinion, not all lawyers make a lot of money.  Some do very well, and others are barely making a living.  It very much depends on the type of law they practice.   For example, criminal lawyers are a dime a dozen.  Only a few elite ones make a lot of money.  The rest are barely making a living.  If you get into a field like corporate tax law, it may be a different story.  But my experience with lawyers, is their fee's are highly negotiable.  Just because they tell you they charge X, doesn't mean much.  Unless you're retaining a high profile lawyer, they need the work in many cases and are willing to deal.   They deal for a living.  Don't assume they won't make a deal with you.