jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Third world ills? lack of civilian society? Why?

1. pramodgokhale profile image45
    pramodgokhaleposted 4 years ago

Third world ills? lack of civilian society? Why?

I am an Indian and claimed to be resident of largest democracy with flaws.Making of new middle class is going on but inequality remains and trickle down economics is on paper only does not benefit grass root people.After WWII third world nations were bombed by superpowers and victims of cold war.These nations are under non-democratic regimes and no hope to produce civilian society to take up job of nation building.Syria is an example ,on self destruction mode plus international pressure.These nations can not catch up with west  without competent askilled workforce. India,China poor on HDI

2. mintinfo profile image76
    mintinfoposted 4 years ago

Capitalism requires a high % of consumers in order to keep its wheels turning. In third world countries any high level industrial and agricultural production is discouraged in order to create a condition of dependency. A brain drain condition forms where the best and brightest go off to the industrialized nations to optimize the system so it won't crash. All that is left in third world countries are the very rich and the very poor, no middle class. Third world governments go in debt then they borrow money from the IMF. The IMF, which is just a tool of the G8 countries then dictates their economy while insuring that they never reach a import/export balance.

1. Thief12 profile image90
      Thief12posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I disagree. 1st, you are drawing parallels between capitalism and "third world" that aren't necessarily there. 2nd, you are making some broad generalizations about how "third world countries" and their gov'ts act and I don't think they are accurate.

2. mintinfo profile image76
      mintinfoposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I am from a 3rd wrld country and I see first hand how they stop farmers from growing food all in favor of imports (food from the US). Prices go up, those without jobs cant eat. Economic dependancy, not self sufncy! Dont tell me about genrlztions

3. Thief12 profile image90

It's a generalization because you're implying that what happens in your country happens in every "third world" country, which isn't necessarily the case.

3. Thief12 profile image90
    Thief12posted 4 years ago

The question is unfairly loaded. It implies that only democratic governments can produce a civilized society and build a nation.

1. pramodgokhale profile image45
      pramodgokhaleposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Sorry Sir, i don't claim virtues of democratic nations and system , sins are already there,but openness is a item and freedom of expression is more important otherwise we can not interact here, do you agree?

2. Thief12 profile image90

To answer properly, one has to define 1st what is a "third world country", because even among scholars, the definition is not agreed on. 2nd, one has to define what does being a "civilized society" means, because not everybody agrees on this either.

working