jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Would you ever open up your home to a homeless person? Even for just a night?

1. Thundermama profile image89
    Thundermamaposted 4 years ago

Would you ever open up your home to a homeless person? Even for just a night?

It is freezing where I live, I mean brutally cold and my young daughters noticed a homeless person on the street as we drove by. We believe in helping others and donate a lot of our  time and resources to that end. One of my daughters thought we should offer this person a night of shelter. I said "no." What would you do?

2. billybuc profile image87
    billybucposted 4 years ago

That's an easy one....we have and would again.  We take in a lot of strays.  If I'm going to preach love and write love then I have to live love. smile

3. Thundermama profile image89
    Thundermamaposted 4 years ago

Why am I not surprised bb? I applaud you. I wish I had the courage to take a leap of faith in human goodness like you have, but until I don't have young children in my house I will have to find other ways to help the homeless. Have a wonderful day and thanks for answering.

4. LongTimeMother profile image94
    LongTimeMotherposted 4 years ago

I am always quick to give money and food and smiles to the homeless and I have in the past brought some home. At the time, however, we lived in a house where we had accommodation separate to the main bedrooms so it was quite easy and safe. And then there's the times in another house where I did let the occasional homeless teenager move in for a while, but my kids knew them from school so they weren't exactly strangers.

You are faced with the same moral dilemma that occasionally prevents me from executing a generous gesture.  We really must not sacrifice our own children's safety and welfare in trying to help others. Your children have to be able to sleep safely in their beds at night and it is impossible to tell at first glance just how trustworthy any individual really is.

I appreciate that I might get robbed and that would be no fun but I'd get over it. What I wouldn't get over is if one of my kids was to fall victim to a stranger in my home.

If I was you, I'd keep an eye out for little one or two-person tents in discount stores, buy a few of them and keep them in the back of my car. I'd also be watching for warm woollen blankets in charity stores that can be purchased cheaply.

Occasionally you could hand out a tent and a blanket for a homeless person's longterm use - and still sleep soundly in your own bed at night. smile

1. Thundermama profile image89
      Thundermamaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Wonderful suggestions. I will definitely be picking up some warm blankets to hand out.

5. Fatiha profile image77
    Fatihaposted 4 years ago

Definately! And why not? People in their right mind would do the same for you.

working