jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

What is the difference between Obamacare and a single-taxpayer healthcare system

1. scoop profile image84
    scoopposted 4 years ago

What is the difference between Obamacare and a single-taxpayer healthcare system?

What is the difference between Obamacare and a single-taxpayer healthcare system? Are there any similarities between the two?

2. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 4 years ago

Obamacare guarantees that certain basics will be met in all health care policies and allows for private enterprise to be a part of the system. A single taxpayer healthcare system will be a government program--in total and it will discourage people from studying medicine and hamper research by private facilities.

Obamacare is not perfect, but it does provide the opportunity for everyone to have insurance. As one who was turned down by every major insurance company in my area because I have high blood pressure controlled by medicine, I welcome a system that cannot turn be down because I have been ill in the past or may be more likely to need care in the future than others. Trust me, being in the 59 to 65 age group and unemployed is one place you do not want to be and the reason is that you cannot get insurance, regardless of the price.

1. profile image0
      CalebSparksposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You've been able to sign up, Larry? Good for you. With each passing month more and more groups of people are losing their insurance or not being able to get Obamacare. Turns out Obamacare ISN'T for EVERYONE. No one saw that coming, right?

2. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Everyone does not need it. If I was still working at my old job, I would be under that group policy, which exceeded anything available under the Obamacare plan. The people who are complaining are those "who never get sick" or have minimal policies.

3. profile image53
      tbHistorianposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Larry, sorry to hear.  prior to Obamacare you would have been fully covered under both state and national rules. with obamacare-now you must pay regardless of situation. check your local hospital case worker for current rules-you may be surprised

4. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 4 years agoin reply to this

tbHistorian, I would like to know the state and federal rules you are talking about. It was not an issue of income. My issue was having prior health conditions that no real insurance company would touch. Obamacare fixed that for a lot of people.

working