jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Would smart guns help prevent daily shooting sprees?

1. cfin profile image81
    cfinposted 4 years ago

Would smart guns help prevent daily shooting sprees?

Having a chip in a ring or chip in ones hand that works as a key to the weapon would insure that only the owner of the weapon could fire it. Would this help to curb these daily college shooting and other gun crime?

Once the owner of the weapon was disarmed, the weapon would not function. People will say "they would just take the ring" or other nonsense, but would a smart gun requirement help to curb gun related violence. I would have thought of it as a no brainer and something that can even be installed in existing weapons.

2. Mr. Happy profile image81
    Mr. Happyposted 4 years ago

That would help. It would also help if the gun could tell when one is drunk, under heavy psychological distress, or medication and it would refuse to shoot. Or when an armed man/woman is about to shoot an unarmed man/woman (that happens quite often).

1. cfin profile image81
      cfinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure if those capabilities are within reach quite yet, but the smart chip is in fact already in production. In a better world, we wouldn't need to worry. We could all be Mr.Happy

3. profile image0
    dragonflycolorposted 4 years ago

I think Judge Dredd has proven this to be irrelevant.  smile  They already have fingerprint technology on weapons, so I think it's a matter of increasing security measures as far as who should be allowed to own a gun.  I'm not sure how that would go about, but it is something that needs to be discussed.

1. cfin profile image81
      cfinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Well if all guns mandatory had to have this smart device, I guess we wouldn't need any further control?

2. profile image0
      dragonflycolorposted 4 years agoin reply to this

there will always be a loophole and there should always be control, how much and what kind of control is the important part i think.

4. Genna East profile image89
    Genna Eastposted 4 years ago

Interesting question.  I have heard about the magnetic rings that must be used in order to enable a gun to fire.  I think the smart gun idea has merit, although there are practicality issues regarding all of the existing guns that are now owned by private citizens.  In addition, if people want to get a gun, illegally, they will always be available through street sales, personal sales, etc.

5. profile image49
    xandrafoxposted 4 years ago

Well, sometimes, situation itself calls for gun use. I don't think smart guns would be a solution.

gun shop - http://www.dougsgunstore.com/

working