This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (16 posts)

Why Does Progressive, Keynesian Economics Work and Conservative, Classical Econo

1. My Esoteric profile image91
    My Esotericposted 4 years ago

Why Does Progressive, Keynesian Economics Work and Conservative, Classical Economics Doesn't Work?

Of course I know that is a loaded question, but the evidence is quite broad and convincing.

Classical economics was the only game in town from 1787 to 1933,  Keynesian economics became the rage from 1933 to 2001 after which it moved to back to Classical.  Now here is the kicker:

-  in the period from 1787 to 1933, 41% of the time was spent either going into or coming out of downturn as large or larger than the Great Recession of 2008 for downturns caused for the same reasons; bursting bubbles.

-  From 1940 to 2000, there has been zero time doing the same thing.

What does that tell you?

2. LandmarkWealth profile image80
    LandmarkWealthposted 4 years ago

It tells me that you're question is not only loaded but a bit misleading..lol Many of the downturns were very quick and short lived, and not all that impactful.  The 1920-21 period was most certainly more severe than 2008 and in fact 1929.  Yet it lasted only about 18 months and led to one of the most rapid and prosperous recoveries.  There is a reason why events like 1920-21 aren't remembered as a depression the way we think of 1929, which is commonly referenced as one of the worst economic periods in US history.  That's because even though the contraction to GDP and deflationary pressures were worse than 1929...it didn't result in a near 2 decade malaise that some call a recovery. 

Case in point, today the US is not, and has not been in a recession since the first half of 2009.  Yet we have the smallest labor force participation rate in 40 years, and the composition of the labor force recovery, to the extent there has been one is heavily weighted towards low income and part time employment. Yet, officially...we have been in a state of economic expansion for 5 years.  How many people who don't read economic statistics would call this a recovery at all.  To most it's another long drawn out malaise that they are praying will end.

So much of what we call contractions in statistical terms didn't have the same impact or feel to the average citizen.  And many of the so-called recoveries weren't recoveries for the large majority of the population.

Interestingly, Payden & Rygel just put out of a piece of research on historic deflationary periods in their regular newsletter that you might find interesting considering your penchant for reading economic data.   I just received this today at my office, which they also post online.  I have always believed that the consensus view of the fear of deflation was overstated.  History shows that deflationary contractions were more common and normal for many decades.  Yet during that period growth and progress was fairly consistent.   Meaning not all deflationary contractions are the chaotic doomsday scenarios many assume they have been.  Many of these periods of statistical contraction were in fact very prosperous periods.  Have a read...http://www.payden.com/library/pov/POVSpring2014.pdf

1. My Esoteric profile image91
      My Esotericposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Landmark, I will take a look at it.  The data, unfortunately is  a bit overwhelming.  I culled out the small ones.  Out of the 37 NBER classified recessions between 1785 and 1937, I only used 15 of them to get my results; 1920 didn't count.

2. LandmarkWealth profile image80
      LandmarkWealthposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, the data is misleading.  Not all deflationary contractions are a result of a crisis.  And not all GDP expansions are much  of a recovery. Much like the supposed recovery of today. Also a much easier read the last NBER piece I sent. LOL

3. My Esoteric profile image91

The 15 I used were.  Each one was the result of a bubble bursting; each had similar characteristics and similar to 2008.  I left out those resulting from monetary causes or war and the like.

4. LandmarkWealth profile image80

Not many resulted in 2 decades of stagnate economic malaise like the 1930's into the 40's as it did during the dawn of Keynesian intervention. Many so-called "panics" like 1910 were isolated to the stock market and not wide spread across labor mkts

5. My Esoteric profile image91

Again, the ones in my 15, which account for the American population falling into or digging out of deep recessions or depressions for 41% of their history, were just that, deep.  They weren't limited to the rich, they were nationwide and destructive.

6. LandmarkWealth profile image80

The question in my view is less depth and more length.  No contraction  was more deep than 1920-21.  And the result was hardly as damaging as 1929 as markets worked thru imbalances.  The largest interventions have been extremely slow recoveries.

7. My Esoteric profile image91

I would think the fact that only 15 recessions/depressions account for 743 month out of a possible 1800 of depressed economy speaks to their length; that is an average of 50 months per downturn; peak-to-trough-to-recovery back to previous peak.(est)

8. LandmarkWealth profile image80

You're looking at a small subset of data. As the Payden piece pointed out, not all deflationary periods were the same.  How many successful rapid recoveries can you cite from aggressive active Keynesian stimulus.   The 30's were a total failure.

9. My Esoteric profile image91

There were no serious, relative to the pre-1940 activity, downturns to recover from; that is the point.  Keynesian economics prevented the wild swings that was the hallmark from 1785-1933. All recoveries were rapid by comparison. 40% is not small.

10. LandmarkWealth profile image80

You're in one now.... 1 trillion in stimulus...and the weakest labor market recovery in decades.  We have not consistently used core ideas of Keynes since the 40's. In fact we rarely implemented his ideas since then before the 2009 stimulus.

11. My Esoteric profile image91

You and I must have different interpretations of what Keynesian is, for I see the use of macro-micro principals combined with gov't manipulation of monetary and fiscal policy to achieve certain macro goals as the MO from 1945 to 2001.

12. LandmarkWealth profile image80

The US gov't has been manipulating monetary policy long before the 40's. But the active targeting of countercyclical deficit spending (A key tenet of Keynes) has not been a constant since the 40's. Quite the opposite in most instances.

13. My Esoteric profile image91

I meant to say this before: the avg length from peak-to-trough-back to previous peak was 20 months fpr the 11 recessions (minus 2008) since 1940, vice the 50 months for earlier recessions/depressions.

I found P&R's analysis on deflation a mixed

14. LandmarkWealth profile image80

There is so much more to evaluate. That is very one dimensional.  The 2008 recession ended long ago. But that doesn't tell you much about the current labor market recovery and more importantly the composition of the labor market and purchasing power

working