jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Why do people get so emotionally invested and worked up over politics in the U.S

1. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

Why do people get so emotionally invested and worked up over politics in the U.S.?

Neither party accepts defeat in an election or assumes it was the "will" of the people. Instead they dig there heels in as the "opposition" party until the next election rolls around with the hope of regaining the house, the senate, or the office of the president. Compromise and co-existing to find the (best solutions for the country as a whole) seems less important than "party loyalty" these days. Gridlock is the American Way and it has been for most of the last 20 years. Elections have become like a spectator sport with fans of both sides cheering for their "team".
    Does it matter anymore?

2. Sri T profile image80
    Sri Tposted 3 years ago

In short term it matters because the government uses their power to do favors for the party in office, while they abuse the opposite party by misuse of money. In the eyes of the opposite party, spending  the money they took for wasteful or hopeless causes. Each party thinks differently about how to help other people or not. Even though money is endless, they promote the idea of shortage. So some people get caught up in concern about outside forces instead of concentrating on their own incomes, the one that really matters. Even the wealthy, who know the truth get overly concerned. Their millions never stop coming in regardless of the party in office. Also, as laws change, freedoms are taken away or are given to immoral causes that threaten the safety of others.

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

I think I am emotionally invested because I grew up in a home where politics were strong. As I aged I slowly started realizing little by little that all I thought about politics was B.S. Growing up in a strong conservative home, then realizing I only believe 10% of that belief makes me more passionate about the beliefs I have formed on my own. When I was a child my family had me attending pro war rallies during desert storm. I was just a little girl and thought all they were saying was right. I was brainwashed like kids with religion. So when I see someone being completely uninformed it makes me a bit worked up.
    I haven't belonged to a party for the majority of my adult life. However politics DO matter. Sadly politics control people. Politics limit some people's lives by restricting their rights. So some of us have to speak out with hopes that eventually it will help.

4. tHErEDpILL profile image87
    tHErEDpILLposted 3 years ago

Can't agree with you more, but it does matter.  It has to matter.  If it doesn't then we are in big trouble. If people didn't speak up and get angry or emotional about politics in this country......I wouldn't be able to sit down in the front of the bus.  Or date a White women.  Get my point?

1. dashingscorpio profile image87
      dashingscorpioposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I got your point. I was mainly thinking in terms of the infighting of politicians for power and not civil rights issues. Democrats felt Bush could do no right and Republicans feel Obama can do not right. There is simply too much (blind) loyalty.

2. tHErEDpILL profile image87
      tHErEDpILLposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Oh, that.  That's all reality TV.  The political parties are similar to "The Real Housewives".  Their arguments with each other stem from pure jealousy, yet they want you to believe there is some deeper meaning.  That's a great analogy there.

5. Dr Billy Kidd profile image90
    Dr Billy Kiddposted 3 years ago

dashingscorpio, you said, "There is simply too much (blind) loyalty."
    This arises from the fact that Americans have an anti-intellectual culture. A person can graduate from college and still not have learned to think critically.
    So, what do people do? They follow leaders as if politics were a popularity contest. And the best "song and dance man" wins. And like Rush said, "You have to create a conspiracy theory for people to listen." Hence the focus on good and evil, which creates hatred. So the real issues of the day aren't even mentioned in the media.

1. tHErEDpILL profile image87
      tHErEDpILLposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Of course the real issues are not mentioned in media, hence the "conspiracy theories", and if what you say is correct which I believe it is the "conspiracy" theories may be true.  Keep the public in a zombie state, easy to control.