Do you believe that with the issue of overpopulation and dwindling resources tha

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

Do you believe that with the issue of overpopulation and dwindling resources that more drasitic

measures of population control should be instituted and implemented?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/9033510_f260.jpg

2. LandmarkWealth profile image80
    LandmarkWealthposted 3 years ago

I don't believe for a second that this is necessary.  That's not to suggest that some twisted version of gov't central planning would not eventually mandate something like that, similar to China's birth control measures.

Resources are only limited to the ingenuity of the human mind...which is infinite.  So I don't accept the premise that resources are dwindling anymore than I accepted the theory of peak oil a decade or so ago, which turned out to be completely false.  Humans can and have created new resources via new technologies.  There may very well come a day when we are colonizing other planets and utilizing resources not of this earth.  Population control is only necessary in the circumstances where the masses are not largely free to choose their own destiny and are dictated to by bureaucrats.  That's when we become less innovative and creative...and consume more than we produce.  That's when rationing becomes a way of life as we follow the instructions of Dear Leader to the sterilization room...or maybe worse.

3. wingedcentaur profile image84
    wingedcentaurposted 3 years ago

Hi gmwilliams! How's it going?

When people say that there is global 'overpopulation,' this always invites, from me, the response: 'Therefore what?' What are 'we' supposed to 'do' about it? What exactly 'should be done' about this?

This term 'overpopulation' invites, from me anyway, another response (ironic in nature): 'Whom do you think are the people clogging up the planet?'
    Do you believe that certain 'communities' are, shall we say, 'breeding' too quickly? If so, again, what should be 'done' about it?

Is it true that there are too many people on the Earth? Is this ACTUALLY true? I know that there are people who SAY that it is true.

I certainly believe that it is true that the Earth is a finite planet with finite resources. I will even go along with the idea that the planet's resources are being depleted at an 'alarming rate.'

But, can this depletion simply be attributed to too many people inhabiting the planet? Or, could it be a problem with the way resources are distributed, the way they are extracted (and for what reasons); Can it simply be the way 'we' organize the global economy? Could the 'alarming rate' of the depletion of this world's resources be slowed by organizing the global economy in a different way?

I am not here to give any definitive answers, just ask questions. But I would note that the word 'overpopulation' tends to suspend other areas of inquiry.

Take it easy.

working