jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Will you dare join forces with evil (Assad) to defeat the more evil (ISIS)?

1. Cheuax profile image61
    Cheuaxposted 3 years ago

Will you dare join forces with evil (Assad) to defeat the more evil (ISIS)?

2. BobMonger profile image60
    BobMongerposted 3 years ago

If we join forces with Assad we will be supporting the only power in the region  protecting Syria's Christians. Of course we would also be assisting Hezbollah who support the Assad regime but who are also fighting Hamas (who are fighting the Israels in Gaza) for control of the Levant.  Right now the only good guys seem to be the Kurds and a few other minorities; unfortunately our friends the Turks consider the Kurdish defense forces to be riddled with terrorists and are very reluctant to get involved either in Syria or Iraq. The whole thing's a mess from the word go. I advise everyone to read "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom" by T.E.Lawrence about Lawrence of Arabia and the Arab revolt during WW1.  Lawrences insights and experiences make it clear Mesopotamia is a great place to stay the hell away from.

Cheuaxposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I concur, it is a hell of a place to try and enforce anything. I think keeping off Middle East is the best option.

3. Old-Empresario profile image81
    Old-Empresarioposted 3 years ago

I don't live in fairytale land, so the concept of being "evil" does not enter my mind on what motivates others. ISIS simply does what is right for ISIS, Assad does what is right for Assad and the US does what is right for the US. To answer the question, no, I would not join forces with Assad. I honestly don't care about what is going on 10,000 miles away. None of this will affect us unless our government sticks its fat head in it and gets involved. We are not the world's police.

Cheuaxposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I definitely don't agree with you. For instance, ISIS has been killing those it perceived as Kaffirs. They may also say there are doing so as Jihad. There is nothing like that and Jihad is fought spiritually not beheading people.

2. BobMonger profile image60
      BobMongerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

The pity of it is we are already involved. We stuck our head in when we opened the American University in Beirut. The effect of an educated upper class is what kicked the legs out from under the Turkish Empire.  W W1 only finished the job

working