Is the racial tension in the United States being overblown by the media?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)
  1. davidlivermore profile image97
    davidlivermoreposted 3 years ago

Is the racial tension in the United States being overblown by the media?

In the wake of the Ferguson incident and other incidents throughout the US there has been a huge debate over racial inequality.  Is that actually true, or is it being blown up by the media in the effort to garner ratings?  In my city (which has many different races) there doesn't seem to be much of an issue.  Some state it is, but it's such a small minority.  So, is this just a media game, or does the U.S. still have an issue with race relations?

2. cjhunsinger profile image74
    cjhunsingerposted 3 years ago

david

Like most  things one merely has to follow the money or power trail. In the Ferguson case the Federal government seems to be  operating out of racial animus. The Sharptons out of greed and animus and the media out of sensationalism for greed.

3. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

Of course it is! By it's nature to even get on the news something has to be the "exception" and not the norm! "If it bleeds it leads".
    The media, newspapers, and magazine publishers are in business to (earn a profit). Their goal is to attract as many viewers/listeners, subscribers, as possible and generate a high number of online clicks to attract money from advertisers. Shock sells! Good news doesn't sell!
    In no way am I suggesting we don't have any race relation issues but I am saying (the vast majority of people) find a way to get along or tolerate one another on a day to day basis without violence.
    Happy people generally aren't in the news unless it's a "feel good" spot the media wants to tag onto (the end) of a program after giving you 25 minutes of scare tactics or "doom & gloom".

4. danicole profile image78
    danicoleposted 3 years ago

Yes and I guess no too!!!!  YES because The media (the news, TV shows, movies, magazines, newspapers, etc.) is smart, they do things to get a reaction out of its viewers, not any reaction (s) but it guides (mislead and baits you) into the reaction (s) they want/expect you to see. That reaction (s) creates ratings and money for them. At the end of the day, its all about money, not race, not humanity or individuals but the green "god,"
    No because we are all participates of this and these reactions are "natural" even if they are being baited out of us.
    When we hear about someone being killed, it makes us sad, reflective and angry (especially if its injustice). America still has race issues (just cuss the president is "black" don't mean they went away). It is not going away anytime soon. Race issues and power issues divides this country and makes us react extremely (on both sides). The media loves this and plays this repeatedly because they know they are many, MANY people that are sad, indifferent and angry........ anyway money/$$$$ is a KING!!!!

1. Old-Empresario profile image83
      Old-Empresarioposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Aside from a very small handful of Baptist preachers I don't see any black people are making money from this.

2. danicole profile image78
      danicoleposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I did not say black people are making money..... the media is, read my comment again!!!

3. Old-Empresario profile image83

Sorry

5. Old-Empresario profile image83
    Old-Empresarioposted 3 years ago

I think the media is correct in identifying this as a serious issue, but it's not drawing the right conclusions. Racism in the US is no longer institutional, but it is still fundamentally a part of US culture. The US is a racist country. Whites in the US seem to have absolutely no empathy for being black in the US. Think about it. Black people were slaves 150 years ago. They were officially second-class citizens in many states just 50 years ago. After this, without any sort of special training or indoctrination, we somehow expect black Americans is simply fit in and do things the same way white Americans have always done them? The African American culture that we know in the US is one borne from years of institutional oppression. And because many black Americans have their own way of dressing, talking and acting, they are ostracized by the mainstream white culture. Now that they have been pushed away and ostracized so much, they may not want to conform with white Americans anymore. Because we do not face these issues and discuss them correctly and openly with a great deal of thought with regards to history, the problems become worse. No one has managed to get at the root of the problem because that would involve a close examination of the past.

And people who disagree may say, "well, the President is black". I say; well, not really. First, he has one black parent and one white parent. Second, his father was a free man from Kenya. The president is not a descendent of slavery and oppression.

1. cjhunsinger profile image74
      cjhunsingerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Old--How would you solve this perceived problem? I once asked a Black friend if he ever wished that slaves were not purchased from other Blacks in Africa and shipped here. His reply was short, to paraphrase, who in the hell wants to live in Africa?

2. danicole profile image78

I agree! Alot of people think racism don't exist anymore which is not true. Racism is still here.
      @cjhunsinger: africa has its own complex problems. do you want to live in africa with all that is going on? I wouldn't, that place seems scary as hell!

3. cjhunsinger profile image74

danicole
      I think you missed the point. My friend was happy that his ancestors were sold by other Africans into slavery.

4. danicole profile image78

@cjhunsinger: I didn't miss your point, I understand it very well. I'm explaining why perhaps your friend would be happy to not live or be born in Africa. The continent is messed up, perhaps you missed my point!

5. Old-Empresario profile image83

CJ, I'm sure your friend was just telling you what you wanted to hear. I'm also sure his ancestors did not like being slaves, so that takes the wind out of his dumb argument. Read a book called Guns, Germs and Steel. It explains Africa's condition

6. cjhunsinger profile image74

Old--You were there!

6. wingedcentaur profile image82
    wingedcentaurposted 23 months ago

The United States is a huge country. How can individuals ever make determinations about what the media are or are not "overblowing," as it relates to racial tension in the country? What is the proper level that the media should "blow" it to?

Are the media making the situation an "8," when it should only be a "5"? Again, how can such a determination be made.

Unless, any of us are prepared to charge the media with fabricating incidents in which unarmed black youths are being killed by police officers.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)