jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Should America mandate recycling?

1. kerbev profile image67
    kerbevposted 3 years ago

Should America mandate recycling?

Many communities attempt to incentivize recycling through various programs (such as can deposit programs), but is it enough?  Should we instead mandate recycling?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/11879007_f260.jpg

2. DaisysJourney profile image78
    DaisysJourneyposted 3 years ago

Absolutely yes!  Garbage is out of control.  Recycling is the right thing to do.  Some communities are making giant leaps with outlawing plastic bags and water bottles and many communities have recycling programs.  People don't realize that if they recycle, dispose of certain materials like electronics and batteries at acceptable places, and compost their food waste that they would cut down immensely on their weekly garbage.

I have found that in a household of four when no recycling takes place, there are 2-3 bags of garbage at the curb when the garbage collections come once a week.  However, in a household of the same size: 1.  eggshells, vegetable cuttings, coffee grounds, and other non-meat, non-fat, and non-dairy food items are put into a compost pile.  2. all aluminum, cardboard, paper products, tin, soda cans, and other items are recycled.  3.  water bottles are not used because the family refills their personal bottles from a filter or the tap.  4.  electronics and batteries are disposed of at appropriate sites.  5.  The family uses reusable shopping bags and does not collect plastic bags.  6.  The family does not order items shipped with styrofoam (non recyclable material).  7.  The family does not use useless items like plastic silverware, chopsticks, straws, and other things that do not biodegrade in trash dumps.  ==> By the time the trash is taken to the curb, it is as little as half a bag of garbage, a minimal amount, causing one's carbon footprint to be a tad smaller than it would have been otherwise.

3. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

I don't know about mandating it (that would be very hard to police), but I would love if they made it more readily available. I live in an apartment complex that has no recycling program, but I still want to recycle. In order to do so, I either need to catch a local office during weird business hours, or take my recyclables to a relative (who has a recycling program). If recycling services were required for communities, I think a lot more people would make use of it.

1. Robert the Bruce profile image60
      Robert the Bruceposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I think you've got something there. If more people had easy access to recycling services, I believe more people would practice it. For most people I think it's a matter of "Out of sight, out of mind."

2. DaisysJourney profile image78
      DaisysJourneyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

My apartment complex does not recycle either.  I recycle-bomb my work bin, my best friend's bin, my boyfriend's bin, the recycle truck down town, and sometimes have even bombed a stranger's bin at midnight with my recyclables....

4. cat on a soapbox profile image97
    cat on a soapboxposted 3 years ago

I am more of a proponent for incentives rather than mandates. I agree w/ M.T. Dremer, it would be very hard to police those who don't comply. If an apartment complex doesn't have recycling bins, it shouldn't be too hard to request them from the city. Another option: a resident or landlord could purchase trash cans marked for recycling then cash in each week at the recycling center. This would also be a good community service project for youth groups.

working