Have your ever "recycled" your romantic relationships?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (35 posts)
  1. kallini2010 profile image80
    kallini2010posted 11 years ago

Have your ever "recycled" your romantic relationships?

Recycling means - you have dated him/her before, split up, then met up and started dating again.  Why, why not and what do you think about "recycling"?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7233527_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Sunnie Dayposted 11 years ago

I know this is about dating but if I may...If marriage counts, we are forever recycling! It is either recycle or throw away! Somethings that are all shiny and new do not hold value like ones that have been preserved, treasured, and revamped at times. When it comes to dating...I look at dating as shopping, you can try it out but can always return it, I do not know to many who go and try it on once again.

kallini2010posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sunnie, it is a common trend - once tried, it is much easier to come back and try again. And again. And again.  As an interim thing.  Until "something" better turns up.

3. Mom Kat profile image76
    Mom Katposted 11 years ago

There have been a few times when I've dated someone, it hasn't worked out so we broke up & then tried it again later.
    One example would be this boy I dated when I was in 8th grade.  We were young & it was pretty much just passing notes, holding hands, and sitting by each other at lunch.... after we graduated high school we met up again and decided to give it another try.  We ended up engaged but never got married.  He was a great guy & we had an awesome friendship, there just wasn't enough "spark" in the chemistry area, so be broke up again but it was with no ill will.  We both agreed that we weren't meant for one another & that we each wanted the other to find the right person.

4. iceycruz profile image59
    iceycruzposted 11 years ago

I think it's because you're comfortable with a person that you have been with before.

5. Globetrekkermel profile image64
    Globetrekkermelposted 11 years ago

Lol! I love the term recycle .I am not sure if i call my past relationships recycle because there have been no words  that we both said that we were no longer together. It was always in an undercurrent tone that we were no longer together but deep down inside I have never stopped thinking of them. I didn't date a lot but the few that i dated ,it was not traumatic at all. We drifted apart, but i never stopped thinking of them even now. As a matter of fact, I kept friends with them . Even after all is said and done, I always am the first one to make peace,pick up the phone and call  or email them or send them postcards when I travel. That part i like a lot. I think they appreciate that  from me .at least i hope so.

6. Neil Sperling profile image59
    Neil Sperlingposted 11 years ago

Sweet - There are a few of my past relationships I was very happy to place in the blue box and watch them be hauled away.... while truly "Wishing the next person they hook up with to be the partner they desire."

So far I have not recycled any of my past relationships or rekindled them to date again. There are a couple I would open the doors too, but have not had a knock on my door...... nor have I knocked on theirs. Maybe I should!....

Good question - has me thinking!

1. profile image0
      vonda g nelsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol Neil, I think I need to purchase some blue boxes as well, but then again it's only fair that they roam and do as they wish....right!

7. sandus profile image60
    sandusposted 11 years ago

i didn't recycled my romantic relationship. i married to another women. and recycling comes from a poisonous  mind. i am not poisonous.

1. abbykorinnelee profile image51
      abbykorinneleeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would disagree with the poisonous mind, I would like to think of it as going to who is comfortable.  Plus you are married so I don't think it would mean a relationshiop like yours...but I could be wrong.  I pray God blesses your marriage always.

2. Claudia47 profile image62
      Claudia47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

People can get back together for lots of reasons - maybe even love.  But it isn't always a sign they have a problem, or poisonous mind.

8. abbykorinnelee profile image51
    abbykorinneleeposted 11 years ago

Yes, I have done it before and I think that sometimes we grow and mature and when you try again later on in your life it may be different (depending on the reasons you break up to begin with).  Though, I did it more as of a back up once or twice...didn't want to be alone and it was more of convience than anything...not exactly the right reason to do it.

1. Claudia47 profile image62
      Claudia47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  Sometimes the reasons we end relationships disappear when we're a bit older.  Having kids who live at home, or interfering parents, for instance are things which wouldn't be problems later in life but could sabatoge younger couples.

9. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 11 years ago

Wow..I learn something new every day...recycling for one.. No I have not experienced this................

10. profile image0
    vonda g nelsonposted 11 years ago

Ewww, don't think so... my response applies to my past experience, but as for me I wouldn't do it.  I'm definitely not into recycling!

11. SpiritLeo profile image64
    SpiritLeoposted 11 years ago

Love the "term" but not the idea, probably nothing worth to recycle. ))

1. Johnny2Balls profile image61
      Johnny2Ballsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You never know, maybe the first time there were too many outside factors, or circumstances beyond your control. Growing also changes a lot of things as well. Maybe you got together when you were too young?

I agree though: Awesome term.

12. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

No, I've never recyled a relationship. I have on the other hand gone through a version of "friends with benefits" or something along the lines of a "booty call" with exes in the past. It was generally duing a time where both people are (in between) relationships. Neither party is interested in getting back together but there is a familarity and comfort level. If you are feeling lonely but mentally not ready to get back into the "dating scene" it was just easier to "phone a friend".
    Maybe that's why I'm not a big fan of being involved with someone who remains friends with exes today! LOL!

LOL I am friends with all of my ex's I think...and I have had a few of the same kind of friends with ex's you have had...also have a best guy friend that is like that when we both aren't dating:)  I would rather that than looking for one nighters

2. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

abbykorinnelee, I suspect we are not alone! ha ha
      Connecting with a "special friend" who knows what you like beats having one night stands. It's like having a Life alert button for times in need, only this is more of a sex alert! LOL

3. abbykorinnelee profile image51

LOL you have me rolling in laughter right now dashing scorpio with that life alert button comment...I was going to say the clapper...lol.  I prefer knowing where "it" has been if you know what I mean lol

13. jellygator profile image88
    jellygatorposted 11 years ago

Eh... If I could shred 'em up and stamp them into something post-consumer and semi-usable, I might've. But nope. I tossed 'em and let the scavengers find them.

1. Neil Sperling profile image59
      Neil Sperlingposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL .... shred'em sounds intersting... I should try that

2. abbykorinnelee profile image51

LMAO...I definaly have done that and feel that way about my ex-husband!! The most recent one is exactly what te singer is talking about in that song Jar of Hearts...someone needs to give him a taste of his own medicine:)

14. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 11 years ago

First time I've heard of recycling relationships. I haven't but, I think if 2 people are meant to be together, no matter if they split and live in different countries, life sometimes brings them back together again. So, it's a good thing.

I agree things change and so do people...if you let it go and it comes back than its meant to be

15. Anastasia Vaughan profile image64
    Anastasia Vaughanposted 11 years ago

This is something I strugle with wishing I could do. Most of times men get biter and don't even want to be friends. I love to.

1. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Usually if you dump someone they don't want to be "friends" unless they believe they can work their way back into having a relationship. Most guys however don't  want (real) platonic relationships with their exes.

2. Anastasia Vaughan profile image64
      Anastasia Vaughanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's just sad the love is already there it is just shifting gears. This is a sad mistake men make.

16. Claudia47 profile image62
    Claudia47posted 11 years ago

When I was younger I was a habitual relationship recylcer.  And P.S. - it never worked.

It's hard to say why this happened.  Perhaps just misplaced optimisim, or a belief that I could "fix" the relationships? 

I think they didn't last because there was a reason we broke up in the first place.  It's a case of trusting your instincts.  No matter how cute, charming, or sexy the guy is, if you broke up once, there's an issue and it's probably a deal breaker.

I've read about people who broke up, met years later, and lived happily ever after, but I don't actually know anyone who did this.  If these scenarios do happen and subsequently succeed, it may be that one or both partners gained perspective with time and age.

17. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Yes I have and should have known better. If it didn't work the first time? What made us think it will work again period? I know people can change, But their core values basically all stay the same.

18. Escobana profile image76
    Escobanaposted 11 years ago

Never did I recycle serious relationships. When it's over it's over.

Friends with benefits were great to recycle! It made those friendships much more interesting. More intimate but not too.

Recycling serious relationships would be the same as recycling my heart. Impossible. However I do see a difference concerning the comment  Lady_E made here....

19. KateWest profile image63
    KateWestposted 11 years ago

Yes, I reconnected with someone I was in love with over 20 years ago (and he with me) before I married someone else (long stupid story). My old flame had moved on, but we had a nice summer - not as intense as the two summers of our youth, but for a moment there, it was good to remember why I was crazy about him and crazy to let him go. I don't think he felt much chemistry for me anymore and while I wanted us to be best friends, I guess I will have to be content with the memories - old and new.

kallini2010posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think this story is very comforting for all of us who were in love with someone and it did not work out.  Instead of regretting "what could have been", maybe we should realize - it was all for the best.

20. anupma profile image67
    anupmaposted 11 years ago

Recycling means to give another chance to your broken relation. If it broke because of some misunderstanding, then it is good. We must try to cope it. But if it broke because of solid reason, then it is like to invite problem.
    I did it one year earlier with one of my good friend. After 3 4 months break up. on friendship day I messaged her and gave another chance to our friendship. By God's grace, we are again good friends.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)