jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

What would you do if you where the president of the United States.

1. PeterStip profile image72
    PeterStipposted 3 years ago

What would you do if you where the president of the United States.

What kind of reforms would you engage if you where the president. What would be your focus point and goal. What would be the most important thing to do for you?
    Ever thought about it ? What would you do if you where Obama ?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12036178_f260.jpg

2. Snøwman profile image61
    Snøwmanposted 3 years ago

I would follow the constitution and I would clean up a bit meaning repealing several unconstitutional laws and programs.

PeterStipposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like a good start snowman. Their are a lot of dodgy laws around.

3. Thomas Swan profile image95
    Thomas Swanposted 3 years ago

I would promote direct democracy and referendums wherever possible. The biggest problem Obama has faced has been `fighting against the system'. You have Republicans who vote against Obama, regardless of whether he is right or not. You also have politicians who've been bought out by special interests. For example, 90% of people wanted background checks for gun purchases, but this will for change was over-ruled by NRA money and Republicans voting in a block rather than on principle.

So, Obama should have encouraged more polling of the population, referendums, and direct democracy. Even if there is no legal basis to institute what is voted for, Obama could have said: "this is what the people want, but politicians are not serving the people." That would have been the greatest trigger for change.

well though out answer Thomas. Democracy is strangely enough the most frightening thing for politicians. A referendum, the most democratic tool is seldom used. Although the outcome of referendums are highly influenced by the media. (as everything.)

2. Robert the Bruce profile image61
      Robert the Bruceposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Obama has proven time and again that he is just as much a big government politician as any Repub. Both "parties" are bought and paid for. So it's no wonder Obama hasn't encouraged democracy. Sadly, too many people are still under the delusion.

3. PeterStip profile image72

Yes Robert the Bruce. A president is just one person. it's the whole apparatus that is taking care of itself not of it's citizens. Obama is a prisoner of this system and can hardly do anything. It's a choice between bad and worse.

4. Robert the Bruce profile image61

I disagree that Obama is simply a "prisoner." He is fulfilling his role within the monstrosity quite well. For all of his unconstitutional acts, he is without excuse. Too bad not enough Americans are concerned about this mess yet.

5. PeterStip profile image72

I think when he started he really wanted to change the Bush administration. But bit by bit he went over to the dark side so to speak. I think America could have had a worse president. Imagine when Palin would have won. Doesn't excuse him though. True

6. Robert the Bruce profile image61

I see what you're saying, Peter. I wouldn't want Palin as president either. But Obama was a corrupt politician long before he became president.

7. PeterStip profile image72

I don't know  anything about obamas career before he became president. What I do know is that you should never trust a politician. Left wing or right wing . So it wouldn't suprise me if Obama was corrupt. Living in Spain where corruption is the norm.

working