jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What does tolerance means to you?

1. Rhema Word profile image59
    Rhema Wordposted 3 years ago

What does tolerance means to you?

‚ÄúTolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.                                ? Robert Green Ingersoll

2. cjhunsinger profile image75
    cjhunsingerposted 3 years ago

Rhema
    A very nice sentiment, but I am not quite sure of the context. Does this mean that we should open our borders to any and all? Should we launch an attack on all those countries that do not profess our freedoms?
    Ingersoll was a bit of an altruist with some very nice, but unrealistic notions. It would be nice, if this could be the practice of humanity, but such is not Man's nature.
    Tolerance is accepting others for what they are. This does not necessarily mean respect, as respect must be earned by action. Respect cannot be demanded or legislated. If it is, it then becomes a facade that will eventually crumble.
    Tolerance is not dismissing ones heritage or culture in accomodation of anothers. If this is the expectation then tolerance is the wrong word and the proper word would be subjugcation.

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

It means (to each his own). Live and let live!
    Most people would rather attempt to change the world than to change themselves. No one appreciates being told how to live their own life.
    Life is a (personal) journey.
    Note: This answer is making the assumption no laws are being broken nor someone is trampling over another person's freedom.

4. manatita44 profile image85
    manatita44posted 3 years ago

It looks beautiful on paper but in reality it implies and is understood by many as the ability to tolerate ones ways or faith with an open mind. This is good. Next comes acceptance, which goes a bit further and is more accommodating to the individual or individuals concerned.

The feeling of Oneness is missing in most cases, the ability to see the One in the many and the many in the One; to recognise that we are essentially of the Supreme Spirit, made in Its image, and are in essence part and parcel of all life. What ever diminishes another, diminishes me, in very much the same way as my arms and legs when they don't work well.

Anyway, here is my final say from the great visionary Sri Chinmoy:

"Religion is an act of vision
    That guides and leads us
    to the Beyond
    Spirituality is not merely tolerance.
    It is not even acceptance.
    It is the feeling of a universal oneness."- Sri Chinmoy.

Much peace and Happy 2015!.

working