jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (9 posts)

How to create effective female infantry units?

1. profile image59
    peter565posted 2 years ago

How to create effective female infantry units?

Recently, the army try allowing women in infantry, the program was a disaster, because a sufficient fire power infantry unit need to carry a huge quantity of equipment, women's biology can't carry so much weight for a long time, without suffering health. Many female soldiers that was part of the trial, soon suffer health problem, including infertility. But if there are not enough men, women still need to be drafted to infantry eg Kurtish fighter at Northern Iraq have female infantry units. So, how to make female unit effective, when they can't have as much fire power as their male counterpart?

2. feenix profile image61
    feenixposted 2 years ago

Speaking as an old-school infantry soldier who saw a lot of combat, I do believe that there are plenty of women around today who would make excellent combat soldiers and Marines.

For example, many of the women who are high school, college and professional athletes are more fit to be in the infantry than most older boys and men are.

What I am driving up to is, all of the men who serve in Army and Marine infantry units are the cream of the crop when it comes to physical strength and abilities, and the mastering of a number of skills.

In summation, it is my opinion that women can be effective infantry soldiers and Marines who fight alongside the men. The only thing that is required is for the Armed Forces to extensively "vet" those women who elect to be in the infantry -- just as the military extensively "vets" those men who elect to be in the infantry.

1. profile image59
      peter565posted 2 years agoin reply to this

So, in your opinion, why was the trial a disaster?  Because those chosen for the trial are already soldiers and include one marine captain and even she suffer injury and now can't give birth.

2. feenix profile image61
      feenixposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Peter, to effectively discuss the "women in combat" topic, I would have to devote an entire Hub to that. But briefly, the reason why the "trial" failed is, the military used an affirmative-action process rather than one based on merit.

3. profile image59

Base on your last statement, would it be fair to say, there are women capable of been US infantry units, but there are fewer capable women, then men?

4. feenix profile image61

Proportionately, far fewer women, than men, are fit to be in infantry, armor and artillery units.

5. profile image59

Why armour unit?  Isn't armour units Calvary?  I thought they are all tanks, armour jeep and helicopters, shouldn't you just need to be skilful for that?

6. feenix profile image61

Peter, thank you very much for selecting my post as the Best Answer. I really do appreciate it.

7. profile image59

Well, an answer given by somebody who is a professional in the arena, disserve to be selected smile

working