jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Do you identify yourself as an organ donor? Why or why not?

1. Omeva profile image76
    Omevaposted 2 years ago

Do you identify yourself as an organ donor? Why or why not?

2. Aime F profile image83
    Aime Fposted 2 years ago

Absolutely. This is a subject I feel VERY strongly about as my dad would probably still be alive today if he had received a heart sooner. Instead he had to be kept alive by machines for over two weeks while he waited and by the time they found a heart for him the machines had completely shut down his other organs and he had no chance. Maybe even a couple of days sooner and things would have been okay...

The way I see it is that my organs are going to just be burned with my body when I'm cremated and what's the point in that? Such a waste. It's an opportunity to save someone's life and I don't understand how anyone would say no to that just to essentially throw the organs away.

I also find it to be incredibly comforting to know that there's a chance that something good could come from my death.

1. Omeva profile image76
      Omevaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Hi Aime,
      I'm sorry to hear that, but I like your view on donating, its definitely better to help others in need.

3. jlpark profile image85
    jlparkposted 2 years ago

Yes.

Because if my organs can be used to extend and/or give someone else (or hopefully several someone elses) a better quality of life, then I don't want them either rotting inside me or being cremated with me instead of doing that.

I'm not gonna be using them, so some one else would be better off with them

working