How do we balance military and civilian priorities for dealing with Vladimir Put

1. Perspycacious profile image82
    Perspycaciousposted 2 years ago

How do we balance military and civilian priorities for dealing with Vladimir Putin and Russia?

The U. S. military wants to be fully ready to deal with and aggressive Russian international policy, while our responsible inclination is to find workable diplomatic solutions short of war or rewarding Russian aggression.  The US and its European allies have already imposed some heavy economic sanctions on Rutin and his celebrating cronies, but the Russian military has the same readiness concerns as does the US military.
    How do we edge toward the brink we can both see, without plunging into a war of titans, one in which only China would be a likely winner?

2. connorj profile image76
    connorjposted 2 years ago

I believe we need a stronger economic and military presence in Eastern Europe; a personality like Putin must be presented with difficult choices for his expansionism. Keep in mind, we have to simultaneously build "bridges" with these countries who border around Russia and not be more isolated from them both militarily and economically. That would be a beginning...
    What is interesting; this would also send a clear signal to SISI (backwards) that indeed we are not of  "Chamberlain" anatomy (perhaps)...

3. Old-Empresario profile image82
    Old-Empresarioposted 2 years ago

Hi Demas,
    I fail to see how China would benefit from the US and Russia destroying one another. I suppose the easy answer to your question is that, as usual, our CIA isn't doing its job very well. The State Department could easily take over the CIA's surveillance, analysis and money-funneling tasks. There is no amount of ground force the US could ever deploy that could intimidate Russia. They have the most powerful army in the world and have since WWII. We have the more powerful air force and navy. That means that if we wanted to bully Russia with our military, our only option would be what it has always been: threaten them with nuclear attack. That's not good for anyone. So a diplomatic/paramilitary option is the best for us--not unlike Afghanistan in the 1980s.