jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Has the American Media turn the Presidential race into a reality show?

1. mike102771 profile image82
    mike102771posted 2 years ago

Has the American Media turn the Presidential race into a reality show?

I was flipping back and forth between fox and NBC. In every show they talk about the polls. who is on top and who is out. Are the polls influencing how people will vote? The debates are already a joke with no real substance. We are forced to choose between sound bites and pollster spin, Maybe having the people who run American Idol  would do a better job?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12805252_f260.jpg

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12805325_f260.jpg

It's been said: "Politics is entertainment for ugly people".
    Whether one buys into that analogy or not I have observed over the years that politics at the very least is a "spectator sport".
    Republicans VS Democrats
    I don't think the media has turned the presidential race into a "reality" show. I believe it's always been one. We just didn't have that phrase.
    Speeches are given in convention centers and outdoor arenas.
    Both parties make it their goal to slam the opposing party even going to the point of misrepresenting the truth. Both parties make unrealistic promises. Most people tune out all opposing views on issues.
    There are bumper stickers, hats, and t-shirts with catchy slogans.
    After the election one group is heartbroken and dedicates itself to plotting and strategizing ways to win the next election.
    The party that wins has "bragging rights" even though it's actually congress that is the legislative body of government neither party is happy until their nominee is sitting in the white house.
    There are  435 Representatives, 100 U.S. Senators, and 9 Supreme Court Justices. However there is only (one) president.
    We've always had the debates, the stump speeches, photo ops, book promotions, and "fact check/gotcha moments". However in the past we didn't have social media and 24 hour news cable stations providing up to the moment notifications. If anything the media is exposing what campaigns have always been about. Winning!

3. adagio4639 profile image81
    adagio4639posted 2 years ago

I think you're right. It's not surprising I guess since the front-runner for the GOP is a reality TV guy. He's made a mockery of the process. Instead of speeches on policy, he does "stand-up" routines, like a comedian, except he's not funny. He says the same thing at every stop; He's wonderful, everyone loves him. He's the smartest guy in the world, He built a Yuge and great company with no help, he has the greatest memory in the world. Everybody is a loser. He's going to build a wall and make Mexico pay for it. He's going to tell Russia and China what to do and they'll do it because of the sheer force of his personality...and people actually swallow the snake oil that he's selling. I get Trump 24/7 from all the networks and then they wonder how he does it without spending a dime on ads. Even MSNBC's Chris Matthews put on an hour special on Trump and then ran it over and over. Millions of dollars in free exposure for this media whore. This is all a bad joke on the American people, and it's not the least bit funny.

1. dashingscorpio profile image87
      dashingscorpioposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I saw the special: "Citizen Trump". It was like watching an infomercial. Even when the media does interview other candidates they ask them about Trump. You can't buy this type of exposure. The media loves him! He's ratings gold!

working