jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why none of Abraham Lincoln's descendants ever run for President?

1. profile image59
    peter565posted 19 months ago

Why none of Abraham Lincoln's descendants ever run for President?

With so many political family in the US, you would have though there would be descendants of the Greatest US President, in politics and eventually run for President.

2. Emily Harrison profile image77
    Emily Harrisonposted 19 months ago

Being descendant of a government official doesn't necessarily mean they have the emotional intelligence or the integrity it takes to become president. Another point to consider is we really have no clue who we are related to without doing extensive research with our DNA, so you and I, even President Obama could be related to one of our former leaders. Wonderful question!

3. profile image0
    Cissy1946posted 19 months ago

A simple Google search would tell you that the last undisputed descendant of Abraham Lincoln died in 1985. It really takes less than a minute to do the search...

4. Patty Inglish, MS profile image94
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 19 months ago

In Zanesville OH (my state), James A. Linkhorn age 95 and his grandson, thirtysomething Toledo Blade reporter Tyler Linkhorn, are living descendants of Abraham Lincoln, shown by solid DNA proof in 2012. The first man is too old and the second seems to have no interest in becoming POTUS. Tyler is in Toledo and wrote about the DNA proof in the Blade during Feb. 2016. Turns out the Linkhorns date back long ago to Guernsey County near my father's family. 

Great question!

5. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 19 months ago

We are a democracy, not an aristocracy - which is why we shouldn't be relying on famous family relations as a basis of competence.
    Unfortunately, Democrats haven't learned that, hence the "we have to have Clinton 2" up for election. And if JFK Junior hadn't died in that plane crash, I think he would have been pushed into politics, too, for the same reason.