jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Abortion. Oh my! The concept behind Roe v. Wade made lines based on viability of

1. Ericdierker profile image57
    Ericdierkerposted 13 months ago

Abortion. Oh my! The concept behind Roe v. Wade made lines based on viability of fetus. Now?

This is a slippery slope. Our biggest problem here is the radical emotionally charged people. Vicious name calling and insisting that their morals are correct. The very core of many people is not willing to listen to the other side. We now do zygot implanting for conception - 6 days optimum.
    We now can replicate most areas of growth. We can affect growth inside.
    Don't go nuts. I am a hard core Christian, spiritually not religiously. My mom went to my doctor dad for an abortion and instead he adopted me. Yet I demand a woman have rights as well as the fetus.
    Brutality in discussion is wrong.

2. Aime F profile image83
    Aime Fposted 13 months ago

I agree that the line drawn is not perfect but I believe it's the best basis we've got *for now*.  Even with all of the technological advances we still can't grow an egg from fertilization into a baby who can survive on its own without the use of a woman's womb.  Most babies born before 24 weeks still won't survive, and no fetus born before 21 weeks has yet to survive.  We've still got a ways to go before the line becomes close to "interfering" with the vast majority of abortions (which take place in the first trimester).

If we did reach a point where we could remove a 4 week old zygote from a woman and grow it into a viable child outside of the womb then things would certainly look different, and I don't know where we go from there.

But as I said, for now, as long as a woman is the sole host and source of development, the woman chooses whether or not to lend her body to that responsibility.

Ericdierkerposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Aime, I just cannot see a reasonable alternative. If the majority of Christians were dead set against it we could have a different landscape. But just counting the numbers, more Christians agree to respect both lives.
      Let us watch. Thanks

3. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 13 months ago

This is one reason why you see such a push for first trimester genetic tests like maternal blood tests that can read the traces of fetal DNA in the mother's blood. So that screening can take place and abortion if desired well before that cute little sonogram.
    I think we're moving toward strong prohibitions on second and third term abortion but leaving the door open to first trimester abortions, especially for genetic/health/defect reasons.
    Especially when you have the long term contraception methods like Norplant, IUDs and Depo Provera that remove the "omg, I forgot the pill" or "did I use a condom?" cause for so many unplanned pregnancies.

Ericdierkerposted 13 months agoin reply to this

That is an interesting perspective. I understand that hard core traditional religionists even say a condom is the taking of a life. This is an interesting area to see faith confront rational and vice versa.

working