Roe v Wade has been Overturned

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (445 posts)
  1. abwilliams profile image68
    abwilliamsposted 22 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/15474176_f1024.jpg
    I, personally, have been speaking out against Roe v. Wade since I was a young teenager in 1973. I've never wavered. I've never backed down, even when I was the only one in the room, defending precious LIFE! Now the matter of abortion goes back to the States, where it always belonged. Again, personally, I'd rather abortion not exist, but this is a start. I am praying for this Nation, which because of this decision, will be under threat, as never seen before.
    What say you?

1. Brenda Arledge profile image80
      Brenda Arledgeposted 22 months agoin reply to this

AB...
      I'm not in favor of abortions, but i do think if a person has been raped there should be an exception.

Or if medically necessary...

A person should have their own rights just like with everything else.

abwilliamsposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Hi Brenda, I hope that you are feeling better, I know that you have had some health concerns.
        In my State of Florida, rape victims will have 15 weeks to make that choice. All women in the State of Florida have that choice.
        Typically, when a rape is reported, the victim will be checked for evidence and injury, if there is even a chance of pregnancy, the EC pill, aka: morning after pill, can be given and will prevent pregnancy, if the rape is reported and if the pill is taken within 72 hours.

The people's voices will finally be heard on this subject and each State, which is represented, by the people, will dictate, whether their State bans abortion, bans it after 15 (or could be less) weeks or allows for it up until the due date and beyond, if it is a State like Oregon or New York, for example.

1. Fayetteville Faye profile image61
          Fayetteville Fayeposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Well in my state if you're raped you will be forced to carry your rapists baby to term. You will also be forced to carry your cousin's or other incestual encounter to term also. Even if you're 12 years old.  No exception.  Sort of seems like child abuse?

Seek a new state!

Lol that's not possible for most of us. I feel immense horror for the women and girls who will now have government make health Care decisions for them.  Surrounding states don't even allow exception for life of the mother.  This radical activist Supreme Court has sent us back 100 years. Sadly, this will do nothing to decrease abortion. Women with means will be able to travel to states that still allow freedom, women and girls without means will resort back to barbaric methods of the past.

I can't talk to you about this Faye, you don't consider anything I say. Roe v. Wade should have never passed in the first place. It WAS unconstitutional.
                Today's court isn't "radical", but the court which decided this in 1973, all men btw, was definitely radical, was definitely activism on steroids.
                This is right and this is good and this is constitutional, it is a state issue.

And this group of justice's somehow has the wisdom or right to overturn precedence? Overturn the Court's decision of 1973?  How?  If you are saying that this court made right the wrongs of a court of another era then how does anyone have faith or confidence in any Supreme Court makeup at any point in time?  This is a farce and they have completely degraded the court.  And by the way the composition of the 1973 Court was a conservative majority.  The Supreme Court has lost all credibility on this one.

No, they have salvaged it!
                    Have a great weekend.

2. gmwilliams profile image85
                    gmwilliamsposted 22 months agoin reply to this

+++++++++++++

2. TheShadowSpecter profile image84
                  TheShadowSpecterposted 20 months agoin reply to this

Well, abwilliams, I think the elephant in the room is this.  Roe vs. Wade passed by the skin of its teeth in 1973.  I read the ruling not too long ago, and I could see that there were flaws in it.  Our current Supreme Court justices saw that it was a weak ruling, and they overturned it accordingly.  I always suspected that eventually it would be overturned, although I didn't think that it would be done this soon in light of how the SCOTUS has been shying away from dealing with major issues in the past since the entire debacle with the 2020 presidential election began.

In any event, people on either side of the issue of abortion will no longer have any excuses for not showing up at the polls to vote whenever there is an election.  They will have to take an active role in the political process instead of relying on stare decisis to achieve their goals and desires with respect to our state laws.  I once heard that registered Democrats don't show up as much to vote in mid-term elections as people who are registered with conservative political parties (e.g. Republican Party, Constitution Party, etc.).  Now they will have no right to whine if they don't show up at the polls any time there is an election.  I know my opinion is harsh, but it is the brutal reality.

Fayetteville Fayeposted 20 months agoin reply to this

In 1973 the Supreme Court issued a 7–2 decision in the Roe case.  How do you consider that "by the skin of its teeth?"
                    And by a conservative majority Court to boot!

2. Credence2 profile image78
                Credence2posted 22 months agoin reply to this

Well, Faye, you have been talking about this meeting of the minds beyond politics, you have to know by now that people of this sort are incorrigible.

1. gmwilliams profile image85

+10000000000000000, no the Supreme Court has returned to medieval times.  Of course, women w/money can have abortions but women w/o money will either resort to back alley abortion facilities where they will suffer the ill effects of botched abortions or even die.  Other poor women will have their lives ruined by enduring unwanted pregnancies & having unwanted children whom they will neglect, even abuse.

1. Credence2 profile image78

Well, I don't know what these people are thinking about?

What's next, now they are going to attempt to tell women in blue states what to do. They will never be satisfied with controlling the procedure within their own jurisdictions. Both Pence and McConnell want national anti abortion policy, so much for States rights. Women will be told what they can and cannot ingest. They will be restrained from leaving the state, so it is not about states rights but about controlling women.

And if women are not smart enough to see this and punish Republicans this fall, then may Heaven help them.....

2. GA Anderson profile image88
                  GA Andersonposted 22 months agoin reply to this

If that was sarcasm I'm gonna look silly, but, coming from a warrior's pen ready to sally forth at a glimpse of a vane, I don't think it was.

In the context of this issue, you nudge a fellow choir member and haughtily proclaim that ". . . people of this sort are incorrigible." As Gen Z might say, 'Really, seriously'?

What "sort of people is that? The ones that truly believe in the sanctity of life, or the abortion clinic bombers?

I bet there are some really smart and really decent Pro-life people leading really productive lives that would like to tell you what to do with that thought.

GA

So, now we chase after zygotes, GA. Do you appreciate the implications of this decision? The pressure put on women and the reproductive processes and rights are far reaching beyond this decision.

The Blue states will do me proud, offering services and assistance to women that want to have the procedure done. And there is nothing the Red States can do about it.

There is a sanctity surrounding the idea that people should mind their own business, as these Republicans are not going to help anyone, newborn or otherwise, once they get here.

I don't care what those smart and decent pro-life people have to say. But what I have to say is; vote the bums out next November. The bonfire in the meantime will be comforting to watch.

The ladies are not going to waste time burning bras this time, better to burn rightwing politicians, instead. (At the polls, of course)

3. gmwilliams profile image85

+100000000000000.

It is ABUSE.  To reiterate, America has regressed.  Fight this decision.  I refuse to return to medieval times.   Luckily, New York State supports a woman's right to abortion.   You who live in the more retrogressive states had better fight for your right to abortion!

3. Sharlee01 profile image79
            Sharlee01posted 22 months agoin reply to this

Faye, did they pass these laws as of yet?

They were trigger laws. They were passed in previous years by state legislature but couldn't be enforced because of Roe. They are now in full effect  as Roe is toast. "If an abortion is performed in the state by someone, it will be considered a felony with a $100,000 fine or at least 10 years in prison". This is where we're at.
              It's already a done deal here.

https://www.nwahomepage.com/around-arka … ation/amp/

https://www.thv11.com/article/news/poli … 9feedde262

2. Brenda Arledge profile image80
          Brenda Arledgeposted 22 months agoin reply to this

AB...
          Thanks for asking about my health.
          I'm feeling better but the scare is not over.  However...the way I'm dealing with it is...I'm not gonna let this change me or the way I live my life.

In Ohio...i believe abortion is allowed up to 6 weeks or the moment they detect a heartbeat.
          However, since this passed.. they are trying to make it illegal from the time of conception.

I do believe they are keeping a phrase which protects those Mother's who might die without one, such as a tubal or ectopic pregnancy.

This is definitely heating up.  Protestors are out in full force.

Take care of yourself, keeping you in my prayers! Also, praying for peace and calm over this Country, we can't afford another summer like we had in 2020 and on into 2021. sad

I am totally aghast at this.  We as a nation are regressing.   Abortion will exist until birth control is 100% effective.  Accidents DO happen, people.  Should women suffer unintended/unwanted pregnancies?   Let's fight to overturn this horrifically medieval decision!

GM, thanks for commenting, but I must disagree. I can't see protecting life as regressive or medieval, I see it as a nearly 50 year old stain on this Country.
        Abortion is not addressed, is not mentioned, in the U.S. Constitution/Bill of Rights. It should have never gone to the Supreme Court, it is not a United States matter. Roe v. Wade should have never passed! It will now go back to the States, where it belongs.
        Amendment 10: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

It's not a federal government issue and it's not a state government issue. Government should not be involved in a woman's healthcare decision at any point.  I do not understand the need that people have to see a  government hand in our personal decisions. It's disgusting.  These matters should be between a woman and her doctor not some politician.  It's sickening how today's Republicans or actually it's just Trumplicans who want government involvement in absolutely everything.

And yet those of you on the left want them involved in every other aspect of our lives. You expect healthcare from them and you expect daycare from them and you expect debt forgiveness from them and abortions paid for and you all LOVED the COVID restrictions and demands that the Gov placed on us. You expect paid college and paid leave and paid just because you live, etc. That's Dems, not Republicans!
            I want as little Government in my life as is humanly possible!
            If the majority of the people in your state want abortion on demand, they need to elect representation that will enact change. If the majority of people in Oregon do not want abortion on demand  they need to elect representation that will put restrictions on abortion. State, by State, by State.....

Stop already with your "left" characterizations as if all people can be put into different boxes.  My state has absolutely no opportunity for me to give my input on abortion whatsoever. Not in any way at all.  Yes, it will take a decade for us hillbilly folk here to vote out the rich and powerful who control the state and have any say of the decisions made  for the exceedingly poor people of this state.  But you know what? Probably not because the same people who want to outlaw an abortion even when your daddy got you pregnant are the same people who want to let you open carry at Walmart...

What did I write in my response to you that is not true?

"And yet those of you on the left want them involved in every other aspect of our lives."
                  Women's healthcare rights and decisions must be left to the States but gun rights cannot?  okay??   really?
                  Please, keep your   christian, fundamentalist supreme court away from me.   At this point, I don't care what those thought 200+ years ago were "rights".   In Judaism, life does not begin at conception.  But hey we will probably be banished as well. Like I said, #AbortTheCourt

My right to keep and bear arms is guaranteed via the U.S. Constitution.
                    Abortion is never mentioned.

3. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 22 months agoin reply to this

The bottom line is they tossed the legality of an abortion to the state legislatures while at the same time opened doors to challenging other established rights in recent history such as interracial marriage. I wonder how that sits with Thomas?

Most certainly the SC is not going to establish when life, personhood, or ensooulment begins. although the leaked Alito opinion did cast a veil over those. So, they left that to the states with its constituents to battle out and will for many, many years to come. There are more court cases on the horizon.

4. peterstreep profile image80
      peterstreepposted 22 months agoin reply to this

What this means is that women won't have time to study anymore or to choose their own carrier. What it means is that more women will be forced to stop their education, play housewife and give up their dreams.
      What this means is that there will be a huge black market for illegal abortion with all consequences. Less security for women, higher prices, less medical care.
      What this means is birthing an incest baby
      Birthing the result of rape (and thus being confronted with the result of rape all your live)
      What this means is less freedom for women. Less enjoying the pleasure of sex.
      It's going back in time.
      Abortion is as old as humankind. Abortion also is a natural thing. I've seen my own cats eating and suffocating their young as there were too many to feed and the weak won't survive.
      In other words, do you want more people with brain defects, open back or huge physical problems to be a burden for the mother and society?
      The great thing about contraception, or the morning after pill or if you are less lucky abortion. Is that society flourishes. There are more women working having careers and pushing society forwards. If you go back to a society where only men work and women are housewives, I guarantee society will collapse.
      Abortion is not just about the life of a mother and unborn, it's part of the structure of society.
      One of the biggest inventions of the 20th century was the invention of the Pill. It changed the world massively. Women could study, women could have a career, and women could influence politics and become powerful decision-makers. All thanks to the anti-conception pill. The anti-conception pill brought freedom and power to women.
      Think again and take this into consideration when talking about abortion.

Perhaps you should think again and consider when talking about abortion that women have choices from the start, but babies do not.

1. peterstreep profile image80

Exactly, but abortion is not the same as killing a baby. A fertilized egg is not the same as a baby.
          And I'm talking about abortion, not about killing babies.

What do you think happens when an abortion occurs? Please keep in mind that some States (not sure about where you are from) allow for abortion through the birth date.

NEW YORK.

2. peterstreep profile image80

A baby is a human being already born. Ergo, it's impossible to kill a baby with abortus. You will have to call it euthanasia

Peter, you are using logic.  Logical, intelligent people KNOW this.  No use in arguing, it is a futile exercise.  All you are going to get is high blood pressure.   Abortion isn't murder to the progressive, modern, & logic mind but to the regressive/ medieval mind, it is murder.  To a subset of such minds, even contraception is murder.

3. Sharlee01 profile image79

So, what is discarded as a result of an abortion? Is it a bird, a cat, or a human being?  What is evacuated as a result of abortion and sometimes reconstructed due to the need to disassemble the fetus to remove it from the womb is a human being.

"Science confirms that Embryos are whole human beings, at the early stage of their maturation. The term 'embryo', similar to the terms 'infant' and 'adolescent', refers to a determinate and enduring organism at a particular stage of development, that occurs in a human being.

Just as you and I once were infants, so too were you and I once were embryos. Each of us came into being as an embryo and developed by an internally directed and gapless process from the embryonic into and through the fetal, infant, child, and adolescent stages, and into adulthood with our determinateness and unity fully intact.

Here is a link  --- Princeton University   WHEN DO HUMAN BEINGS BEGIN?

"SCIENTIFIC" MYTHS AND SCIENTIFIC FACTS

Dianne N. Irving, M.A., Ph.D.   https://www.princeton.edu/~prolife/articles/wdhbb.html

3. Fayetteville Faye profile image61

Do you realize the reason for that?

Again Faye............don't try to reason-it's FUTILE.

https://hubstatic.com/12059933.jpg

2. abwilliams profile image68

No, not the reason for ALL of them Faye, I can honestly say, that I do not!

What is your response to women who find out in the  late second or third trimester (which is common for life-threatening abnormalities) that they are carrying a fetus that is so catastrophically afflicted  genetically or physically that it will die soon after birth?  Is this the reason for some states allowing late term abortions? Should these be outlawed also?  You seem to be trying to make a case that abortion on demand, for any reason, is perfectly legal in a number of states until week 40.  We can all go to States like New York and see the restrictions upon these late term abortions. They are reserved for a doctor's judgment when the life of the mother or baby is in jeopardy.  If you have unscrupulous doctors with no ethics who refuse to follow the law then maybe they should have their licenses revoked?  Just a thought.

I have mentioned long before now, that there will always be individual cases, which will call for individual attention.

2. Readmikenow profile image95
                    Readmikenowposted 22 months agoin reply to this

"Partial-birth abortionist James McMahon says that the primary reason given by those requesting the procedure is “depression.”

https://www.hli.org/resources/why-do-wo … abortions/

Can we agree that abnormalities can be detected long before the third trimester?

Logical people know this.  However, when you are talking to a pro-lifer, logic flies out the window.   Pro-lifers are against abortion & contraceptives.  Pro-lifers are of the belief that sex should result in procreation.  They believe that anything else is unnatural.

3. Readmikenow profile image95

In the United States there are seven states where a child can be aborted if the child is in the birth canal.

Your argument of a fertilized egg doesn't tell the whole story.

I'll bet they will have good reasons to do so. Sometimes it's the choice between mother and baby for example. A hard choice but it makes sense to choose for the mother. But I bet these are exceptions.

1. Readmikenow profile image95

"choice between mother and baby"

??????

Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds to me?

Mom "Sorry I carried you to term and you're about to be born, but I've had a change of heart and have decided to kill you instead."
                Child in birth canal, "Gee, Mom, couldn't I live just a little bit?"
                Mom "No, I changed my mind, and you have to die."
                Child in birth canal, "Will I get a funeral for being almost born?"
                Mom "Unfortunately not, your body will be dismantled, and your body parts will be sold to laboratories around the country. Don't give me your attitude about this, I am, after all, your mother."

I was referring to a situation when a doctor has to choose between the life of a mother or a baby.
                  That's not ridiculous, but a serious, difficult and emotional choice.

IF the baby is in the birth canal?

You might want to do some research on that one.

You do realize that abortion remains legal in 43 of the 50 states.  There are only 7 where it is illegal.

In the states where it is illegal, many women voted the for state legislatures who made it illegal there.  People in those states have made it known they don't want abortion legal.

1. tsmog profile image84

Good info, yet one should consider trigger laws that soon will go into effect moving it to sixteen states it will be illegal from my understanding. That is based on the following article by Politico giving a table sharing by state, legality, and details. The article was written 6/24/22 Below is link if curious. Informative for me of least.

Title: Abortion laws by state: Where abortions are illegal after Roe v. Wade overturned

Subtitle: Not all trigger bans immediately kick in, but abortion will soon be illegal in more than a dozen states.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/06/2 … e-00037695

2. peterstreep profile image80

I think what I just said above could be applied to any place on this world where they think abortion is a bad idea. Countries like Iran and Saudië Arabia as well.

In the seven states where abortion is illegal, women have the right to vote in government representatives who will make the laws they want.  If the women in those states want abortion to be legal, they can use elections to make it happen. 

I bet the women in Iran and Saudi Arabia don't have that ability.

anti-abortion is closely connected with religion. So there is a correlation between the US and Iran and Saudi Arabia.
              And women do have the right to vote in Iran since 1963. And in Saudi Arabia women also have the right to vote (since 2015)
              But that was not my point.
              My point is that anti-abortion is not a good thing for society as a whole as it limits the freedom of women as they are less in control of their lives.
              Today women can study, start a career and plan to have children. This is highly beneficial for women and the society. If a woman can not choose when to have children (except for not having sex, but how realistic is that!) then you throw away a lot of potential.
              Seen from a business point of view anti-abortion is not a good thing. You want an employee you can trust and not somebody who can get pregnant every month...

THANK YOU, PETE.  Those who are against abortion want women to be submissive, barefoot, &continuously pregnant.   Pro-lifers are anti-women.  FULL reproductive freedom is imperative to a progressive society.   Pro-lifers KNOW this, but they don't want women to be fully functioning members of society, just human incubators.   Pro-lifers are also anti-contraception.  Pro-lifers believe that women should have LARGE families which are detrimental to women particularly educationally & socioeconomically.   The premise of PRO-LIFERS is illogical.

Pro-lifers really don't care about life but having bodies.   It is the PRO-CHOICE people who care about life around-they want a HIGH & HUMANE QUALITY of life.  All children should be wanted.   Pro-lifers really don't give a damn if a child is wanted or not- they don't care about the child nor the woman.   Pro-lifers' aim is REPRODUCTIVE SLAVERY for women.

5. abwilliams profile image68

I just received this email:

https://flaccb.org/dobbs-life-after-roe

6. Miebakagh57 profile image69
      Miebakagh57posted 20 months agoin reply to this

I ask myself if a doctor recommended abortion on a girl that is raped, should it be done without a say?                                    And, if her rapist seems to be her father, should the girl's mother consent with with the father?                                     Well, here's another challenge. A wife got pregnant on consent with husband. She was healthy. But her doctor noted that the fetus will be deform in the leg and arm. He/she suggested aborting the fetus. Should the couple compiled?                                      If the wife say no, I believe that's her right. I've seen person with birth defects right by doctors.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
        Kathryn L Hillposted 20 months agoin reply to this

In Hawaiian history, I heard that when a baby was deformed (Kings and Queens could be siblings,) they would quickly drown the baby, after running to the ocean.

In the past, when it was likely that a deformed child would hamper the survival of a couple, family or tribe, perhaps it was necessary.

However, in a civilized society such as ours, perhaps some good can come of keeping a deformed baby. The love of one of these, is equal, (if not more,) than a typical child's.

Let the states decide.

Why should it be up to any branch of the government to make reproductive decisions for its citizens? Makes absolutely no difference if it's a federal government or a state government it's still intrusive overreach to the extreme.

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 20 months agoin reply to this

How does deciding whether to kill a child become a "reproductive decision"?  Particularly when it is a government (which cannot reproduce itself) making the call, not the parent?

And whatever happened to the rights of the other parent in making the decision to kill his child - making the decision for him about his "reproductive decisions"?

(As always, there is far more to the matter than the so-often repeated mantras of either side.)

peterstreepposted 20 months agoin reply to this

I thought you were anti-government Wilderness? Why do you suddenly defend a government interfering with the life of a woman?
              When you have the freedom to shoot an unwelcome guest in your house, why don't you have the freedom to kill an unwelcome guest in your belly?

Credence2posted 20 months agoin reply to this

Again, Wilderness, we are talking about a zygote not a fetus that is viable outside the womb. The man is not the one who has to carry the child for nine months, have his economic prospects interfered with or deal with any multitude of heath issues involved in carrying to term.

1. Sharlee01 profile image79
                Sharlee01posted 20 months agoin reply to this

I have brought this up before. I must ask do you know the percentage of abortions that are done at the Zygote stage? Which is between week three of fertilization to about the 10 the week.  By the 10th week, the zygote has now officially turned into a fetus.

If you are interested please check out Mayo Clinic site. It gives a good description of how an embryo developed into a fetus, and what organs, and features a fetus possess at each week of gestation.

It will offer the reasoning that many states have popped to only make abortion legal to a certain point of gestation. The most human periods one could say.   https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-life … 20zygotes.

CDC stats show --  In 2019, 79% of all U.S. abortions occurred prior to the 10th week of gestation; 93% occurred prior to 14 weeks gestation (CDC).

As you can see there are some that wait and are truely aborting a fetus. Some, a small present wait well beyond 14 weeks to obtain an abortion.

My comment is just to add some facts to the subject of when an embryo becomes a zygote and then a fetus.

I believe education is a way of decreasing the need for abortion. When a woman realizes that at an early part of pregnancy the fetus is not just a "blob of cells" they may consider becoming more attuned to birth control, in my view. We need a lot more education on reproduction.

Education is always beneficial for any area.

I am sure that you are the front lines regarding the topic as it is part of your profession, I am not qualified to debate you.

But, Roe vs Wade was the compromise between the woman's right to some degree of autonomy and the state's interests in preserving life. Now that that balance has been eliminated, see the result in many states that are ridiculously restrictive. Most people are against the draconian forms of control promoted by the Republicans that is why I say that they would never put the idea to the ballot because, just as they saw in Kansas, they would lose.

So, why not let the people decide?

As you should have noted I did not go into Roe. Just stuck with a subject that I felt I could give an educated opinion on.  I have shared many times, I am pro-choice, for reasons of my own. I am just hoping that realize what they are abortin. Many will quote you closely and call a fetus a zygote.

I think we need to deal with the fact, that at a certain point a fetus that is clearly a human being is being aborted. I am a stickler for terminology.

And please consider many Republicans feel abortion is a human right. Not fair to compartmentalize.  I would think Kansas should have given some proof of the fact Republicans have varied views when it comes to abortion.

I am not against an individual deciding --- just want them educated when making that decision. perhaps this would result in very early zygote abortion before we need to put a baby in a red hazard bag. Facts can be unattractive, but necessary.

2. Fayetteville Faye profile image61

It's also good for context to remember that the vast majority of abortions (according to the most recent data)  occur during the first trimester of a pregnancy.  93% of abortions occurred  at or before 13 weeks of gestation, according to the CDC. An additional 6% occurred between 14 and 20 weeks of pregnancy, and 1% were performed at 21 weeks or more of gestation. 
                Many on the far right want to continually attempt to paint a picture of rampant "murder" by doctors of full term babies for absolutely no reason at all.

Thanks for clearing that up....

3. wilderness profile image95
                wildernessposted 20 months agoin reply to this

And thus has zero say in whether his child shall live or die - it will all depend on whether his partner decides she doesn't want to pay the price for creating a new life.

Just a prediction, but I see a future, not so far off, where that topic is addressed, and males end up with at least some say.

It is not unreasonable for the men to have some say, but it cannot be the predominant "say" or opinion.

abwilliamsposted 20 months agoin reply to this

"Just a prediction, but I see a future, not so far off, where that topic is addressed, and males end up with at least some say."

I hope so Wilderness; I could not only write a book about the lives of women set back and in many cases destroyed, over this particular choice, but also, the lives of men, including my brother's!
                  That chapter would be long, it would be difficult to read, heart-wrenching and it would leave the reader, very angry, wondering how could this have happened!

I can also share cases of women whose decision haunts them until today. You see there are always two sides to a story. I will share my sisters story. After my sister and her husband had their first child (a planned child). about 5 years later she became pregnant once again, (unplanned). She was apprehensive about having the baby, but decide to have this child. ( this child is so cherished, she feels he hung the moon)

A few years later she became once again pregnant even though she was being very careful not to...  She quickly decided she wanted an abortion and her Gynecologists did the procedure in the hospital.

He made a fatal mistake, he asked her if she wanted to know the sex. She was shocked, and never realized what she was aborting was far along enough to ID the sex. It was a boy. She was devastated, and it still haunts her.  She just never considered that what she agreed to abort could be gender IDed.

There is always another side, someone with another view. Yes, I could add to your book the sad stories where abortion would have been a better solution. Such as child abuse, children that have horrific problems that doom them to an early death, and much more. But there is always another side...

2. TheShadowSpecter profile image84

I vaguely remember a scene in the 1966 film Hawaii where a deformed baby was drowned by the Hawaiian natives.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69

Has the Hawaiian any conscience? In my native Wakirike society, a deformed child is deemed fit to be trained as a monetary asset. Such children have rise to be Chiefs.

1. TheShadowSpecter profile image84

British actress Julie Andrews was in that film.  I recall her film character being very upset about what the Hawaiian natives did to the deformed baby.

Yesterday, I saw a boy about 7 years returning with other pupils from holiday lesson.                                               He happened to walk with a crunch, his lef arm, and leg seems to hang out and dangling! This boy can e a lawyer, or a teacher. One of my primary school teachers was a cripple in wheel chair.                                    The important issue is the brain...an asset.

3. peterstreep profile image80
          peterstreepposted 20 months agoin reply to this

Pointing fingers at others doesn't make your own decisions good.

2. profile image69
    KC McGeeposted 22 months ago

It's about damn time.

3. profile image69
    KC McGeeposted 22 months ago

I'm get my beer and pop corn ready so I can watch the Marxist left start burning the cities down

I understand, they are making plenty of threats, but I am praying for calm!!

4. Kenna McHugh profile image90
    Kenna McHughposted 22 months ago

Some people have no idea about the story of Roe v. Wade. If they took the time to learn, people would understand and not react.

So true.
      If the Pro-Abortion Group using the name Jane's Revenge (currently vowing 'Night of Rage') knew anything about Norma McCorvey aka: Jane Roe and her awakening, they certainly would not be using her name.

5. Kenna McHugh profile image90

Right on, AB! Knowledge is power and helps me see the truth. The sound bites I am hearing today are so shallow and uncaring. They haven't a clue.

6. Readmikenow profile image95
    Readmikenowposted 22 months ago

People who are pro-choice are furious about this decision by the SCOTUS.

The reason they are upset is because some states will now have the right to limit abortions. 

What is not understood is that people of particular states vote for representatives who support their position on issues.  This means there are populations of United States who are against abortions.  They show this by voting for representatives who pass legislation that represent their views on issues.

Why can't people in the pro-choice movement accept this? There are people who disagree with them. Huge segments of the population don't agree with abortion.

Why do pro-choice people believe they have a right to force their beliefs on the entire country? Why shouldn't pro-life people have a right to have their beliefs be the law of the land where they live?

There are still states where abortion is legal. The SCOTUS is not going to force them to be pro-life.  This is what was done to pro-life states.

I know this isn't over.  Pro-choice people will do whatever is legal, illegal or necessary to have their will imposed on the rest of the country.

I await their next move, as I know they will make one.

Pro choice people will go to progressive states to get the procedures done, its going to be a convoy.

Who would dare stop them?

The next move will be to see how far the Right will go to handcuff all the women to the bed frame railing? We will be ready to meet you there.

+1000000000, Credence2, the book Generations predicted this.  There will be (there IS) an ideological war between the more conservatives and the more liberal elements in the early 21st century.  Oh yes, there will be an escalating war between the pro-choice & the pro-lifers.  When I read the decision, I was SICKENED beyond belief.   Those who live in the red, more regressive states had better fight against this medieval edict.

Why are you against states making their own laws for their citizens?

The only thing that is different is that citizens of states can now choose to make abortion legal or illegal.

'In establishing American government’s power-sharing system of federalism, the Bill of Rights' 10th Amendment holds that all rights and powers not specifically reserved to Congress by Article I, Section 8, of the Constitution or to be shared concurrently by the federal and state governments are reserved by either the states or by the people."

What are you talking about citizens can choose? I am in a state that as of today a total ban on abortion is in effect. Was I asked? Did I vote on this? No I did not.

It's obvious the majority of people in your state disagree with you. There are laws in my state I don't agree with, but that is part of living in a representative republic.  Things don't always go your way.

Roe was overturned by 4 men and a real life handmaid.  Decided by shoving their Christian doctrine down the throat of American.  It's sickening.
              About 71% of Americans, including majorities of Democrats and Republicans say decisions about terminating a pregnancy should be left to a woman and her doctor, rather than regulated by the government.

'About 71% of Americans, including majorities of Democrats and Republicans say decisions about terminating a pregnancy should be left to a woman and her doctor, rather than regulated by the government."

These statistics change when you look at individual states. It can now be determined by the courts in individual states. It has become a state issue rather than a federal issue.

State's rights are an important part of the US Constitution.

"State's rights are an important part of the US Constitution."

I agree, and I feel too much is being made of the fact states will make their own abortion laws. Yes, there are many red states that will perhaps change abortion laws to suit the citizens of their state. Why in the world does this become such an issue with the left. It would seem they just can't except many citizens in red states have actually fought long and hard to have Roe overturned. We are one nation, time to respect others' rights.

While the left is angered by this decision, many Conservatives are celebrating the SC decision.   Abortion has not been banned it has been sent back to the states. Time to let each state deal with what the people of their state want, with a majority vote.

It's just a fact many Red states are in favor of new abortion laws, and possible bans on abortion.  These states need not be dictated to by blue states.

1. tsmog profile image84

Agree emphatically, yet must say the same goes with red states dictating to blue states or penalizing a citizen that goes to a blue state for an abortion. At least that is how I see at this time. This country is headed into turbulent times I am afraid to say. The way I see it a lot of it is due to both sides simply not respecting the other both as an ideology (Belief system) and of an individual beliefs.

+1000000000000000000000000, Faye.

That is why there are federal laws-because people don't know how to act.

Federal law is designed to deal with federal issues. Abortion is a good issue for the state to decide for themselves.

Roe v. Wade was not a law voted on by the Senate and Congress then signed into law by the president.

It is a legal precedent. This means it open to interpretation by any SCOTUS. There is no federal law for abortion.  Only a legal precedent.

"The only thing that is different is that citizens of states can now choose to make abortion legal or illegal"

Great, Mike, just make sure that it applies to ALL states.

2. profile image69
      KC McGeeposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Readmikenow, you have to remember the pro-choice are a bunch of Marxist Left thugs. The way it work is; it's their way or else they will burn down cities.

3. abwilliams profile image68

Hi Mike, thanks for commenting on this subject.

I am always impressed with our Governor, Ron DeSantis, but I love what he has to say on this subject:

"The prayers of millions have been answered. For nearly fifty years, the U.S. Supreme Court has prohibited virtually any meaningful pro-life protection, but this was not grounded in the text, history or structure of the Constitution. By properly interpreting the Constitution, the Dobbs majority has restored the people’s role in our republic and a sense of hope that every life counts.
      Florida will continue to defend its recently-enacted pro-life reforms against state court challenges, will work to expand pro-life protections, and will stand for life by promoting adoption, foster care and child welfare."

There's always so much talk from the left about their RIGHTS; their right to daycare, healthcare, paid leave, a college education, debt forgiveness, etc., but the most fundamental RIGHT of all, the RIGHT to LIFE, doesn't make their list. Crazy!
      I think we are generous when referring to many of these people as pro-choice; so many of them, especially the activists making threats right now, are pro-abortion. Many of these girls/women, have told us that they celebrate abortion(s). I don't think it gets much sicker than that!

1. Jodah profile image92
        Jodahposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Well said.

Thank you Jodah.

4. Fayetteville Faye profile image61

If you disagree with abortion, then don't have one. It's as simple as that. 
      It's sickening the way that Trumpists welcome autocracy and government control in private lives.

"It's sickening the way that Trumpists welcome autocracy and government control in private lives."

I believe the same thing about people on the left when it comes to gun control.  That is a right that's actually guaranteed by the US Constitution.

The second amendment discusses the right to bear arms in terms of "a well-regulated militia" not open carry at Walmart.

"the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed"

You forgot that section of the second amendment.  It's pretty important.

The Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution guarantees a "right of the people to keep and bear arms." However, the meaning of this clause cannot be understood apart from the purpose, the setting, and the objectives of the draftsmen. At the time of the Bill of Rights, people were apprehensive about the new national government presented to them, and this helps explain the language and purpose of the Second Amendment. It guarantees, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." The need for a State militia was the predicate of the "right" guarantee, so as to protect the security of the State, not the "right" to open carry at Walmart.

1. GA Anderson profile image88

What about the credible scholarly argument that determines the militia statement is not a predicate of the Right, that it addresses the Right as a pre-established Right, not a new one born of that single, apparent,  predicate? Are they all wrong?

GA

If the founders were alive today, I believe they would be very concerned because the Constitution is clear that the only militias protected by the Second Amendment are “well-regulated” units authorized and controlled by state governments, not a private citizen militia.
                  Legal scholars have  continued to debate the Founding Fathers’ intentions with respect to the Second Amendment. Those who support gun control measures often argue that the Founders’ intentions was only for “well-regulated” forces authorized by state governments to have access to weapons, and not for all individuals to be able to bear arms. Those who oppose restrictions on gun rights say the Second Amendment protects the right of ordinary citizens to own weapons and argue that the Founders included the words “a well-regulated militia” as just one example of why citizens could be in need of arms. Who is right? Who can really interpret the intention of those 200+ years ago?

wildernessposted 22 months agoin reply to this

If that argument held any water, I would think that the rights of the militia (a well regulated one) shall not be infringed instead of the rights of "the people"

AMEN.

7. Kenna McHugh profile image90

Faye are you familiar with Roe v. Wade? It should have never gone to the Supreme Court.

It was always on a slippery slope despite that too many people erroneously believed that it was a strong ruling.

8. IslandBites profile image89
    IslandBitesposted 22 months ago

That was intense.

9. Kathleen Cochran profile image76
    Kathleen Cochranposted 22 months ago

And women will now take a pill they receive in the mail in the privacy of their own homes - and no one will ever know - and abortion rates will soar. The good news? Thirty percent of the country might now think about issues and candidates and not just robotically hit the republican box.

10. Kathleen Cochran profile image76

Worldwide statistics show there are slightly more abortions in countries where it is illegal.

+10000000000000

I guess it is a good thing it is still legal in many parts of the United States.

Yes, it is LEGAL in the United States & we pro-choices will fight HELL & HIGH WATER to retain abortion rights.

11. Fayetteville Faye profile image61
    Fayetteville Fayeposted 22 months ago

The Supreme Court has revealed itself to be the most radical court in my lifetime. Evidence rolls out daily: 1) the decision to obliterate the separation of church and state by requiring Maine to fund religious schools 2) the decision to upend long standing state laws restricting who may carry a gun in public, 3) the decision to overturn Roe v Wade after 50 years. All this from a court dominated by five right wing ideologues posing as judges. More galling is the fact that two of them, Neil Gorsuch and Amy Coney Barrett  were seated under highly inappropriate circumstances.

Next up? They have already set their sights on contraception and gay rights.

Your school choice statement is misleading. The decision wasn't to give religion-based schools special treatment, it was to insist on equal treatment. Isn't equal treatment the mantra of liberals?

To be more specifically accurate, the ruling forces Maine to treat all students equally. What's wrong with that?

There is no 'separation' issue here, it is an equality issue. I think the court was right.

GA

It's an easy call when you're talking about a Christian School. Yes I'm sure it will eventually be an equality issue. I will be waiting for the reaction to the Muslim schools that put their hands out as well as the Hindu or Hebrew schools.

Any cries of foul on other religion-based schools will be as wrong as the one against the Christian schools. Like you, I am sure those will come too.

This will sound like silly semantics, but the fact is that the state is funding, (via taxation), the provision of education for each student. Not the provider. That state isn't funding the Christian school it's funding the student to attend the school.

GA

12. Readmikenow profile image95

https://hubstatic.com/16049091_f1024.jpg

13. Readmikenow profile image95

I think the left is very upset that their intimidation tactics did not work against the Supreme Court justices. Protesting at their houses didn't stop anything. Firebombing pregnancy counseling centers didn't stop anything.

I hope those protesters destroying buildings are and damaging properties realize they are in states where abortion remains legal.  I hope some of them realize ridiculous they look.

50 years ago, when Roe v Wade was made the law of the land pro-lifers were told they just had to accept it.  There was no protests or destruction of anything.  Pro-lifers just went to work doing what was necessary to change the law.

Too bad the left has no class or dignity and can't do the same.

Roe Vs Wade was a compromise between prolife and pro choice factions. It has been the Right that has been reneging on the terms of that compromise over the last 50 years.

However,

There will be no need for violence, we on the left will save that anger and frustration energy for the ballot box this November. Meanwhile the ladies will gather their petticoats and create a roar that will be heard around the world. Peaceful protest, massive numbers and involvement, that is the key. We will vote the bums out and change the law, if, of course, that is okay with you? No shortage of class or dignity there....

+10000000000000, Credence2.   Credence2 this is WAR.  The regressives are extreme, so the progressives will be EVEN MORE EXTREME.  The regressives are fighting like the SS men in Germany in 1945- they are on THE LOSING side of history.

Yes, it is war. And as such in any war, there can be no aid nor comfort given the enemy through their attempts at diversion and misdirection. We must prepare for the next major offensive.......

The hell with aid & comfort for the enemy.  This will be analogous to the German vs Russian War of 1941.   Time to take the Republicans down......

I'm afraid you are too late for "no need for violence" since the left has no ability to debate and discuss, violence is all they have.

"Pro-Abortion Protest Turns Violent: Lawmakers ‘Held Hostage’ In Arizona Capitol"

https://dailycaller.com/2022/06/25/pro- … a-capitol/

There are also articles about violent protests in Portland, Los Angeles, etc.

No, the left does not engage in peaceful protests. Recent history has more than one example.

Who are you going vote out? The justices on the Supreme Court have lifetime appointments. The prolife states have elected people to represent their prolife positions. Women in prolife states are celebrating Roe v Wade being struck down.

I don't understand why they're upset when abortion is legal where people want it to be legal.

Yeah, when I look at all the foul things being said on the left on talk shows and social media.  The violent protests, I don't see any signs of class or dignity. I see low IQ individuals who lack maturity throwing a childish fit because something didn't go their way.

1. IslandBites profile image89
          IslandBitesposted 22 months agoin reply to this

I see low IQ individuals who lack maturity throwing a childish fit because something didn't go their way.

You were at the Jan. 6 rally, right? smile

I just have to look at J6 to see how the Right handles its protests.

We are looking at this thing through alternate lenses. We will let the voters decide everywhere and in every state how this is going play out in November, Mike.

You trust the electorate as much as I do to resolve this, do you not?

"You trust the electorate as much as I do to resolve this, do you not?"

Yes, I do.  I believe the prolife states will remain prolife and the prochoice states will remain prochoice.  If not, then it is the will of the people that will change things.

I can't share your confidence, Mike. The Right, by its very existence is relentless. You really think that they would stop at just insuring that individual states can exercise their prerogative? This is a right wing tribunal of a Supreme Court, they could care less about the Constitution and will rule on the basis of their tired old ethics, and will deprive Blue states of its prerogatives for a total victory by Rightwingers. America will all be crimson red, if they are to prevail.

The way they might go about it is of concern, how would you address this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FdliQ5fVYKo&noapp=1

Just curious, but do you feel that the Constitution says what RvW says it does?  Or was the question of privacy twisted into a woman's right to kill children as she chooses, all in the name of privacy?

I was happy with RvW, and strongly wish the decision had gone the other way, but do recognize that a liberal court took quite liberal steps in "interpreting" the Constitution to say something it does not.  If an honest court reverses that, so be it.  It's how they system is supposed to work.

Are you saying that the 1973 7 to 2 decision on Roe was dishonest? Made by liberal justices who took an interpretation too far?
                  I think you should look again. The 1973 court was a conservative majority.
                  Doesn't exactly inspire a whole lot of confidence in the legitimacy of nine people deciding what a 225-year-old document intended, does it?

https://www.upworthy.com/roe-vs-wade-ma … republican

What do you think?  The decision was rendered on the basis that a woman has a guaranteed right to privacy...apparently including the right to privately murder children.

The question is not, and never was, about privacy; it is about murder.  When does a fetus become a person was very neatly sidestepped by making it about privacy.

Unfortunately, even SCOTUS has been beset with members from both sides of the political spectrum voting their conscience, or morals, or party line, rather than the law.  It is, after all, why either party gets so upset when a President gets to nominate a new justice.

The question as to what a viable child is is what is being debated. If I were female, who has the right to tell me that I cannot take a "morning after" pill? What about that freedom? Conservatives have no problem with a Dodge City gunslinging society, where anyone can buy a gun virtually anywhere at anytime under any circumstances, yet want to stick their noses into your boudoir. How do we correlate those two things?

Any compromise from the aforementioned situation regarding guns is considered by conservatives as "caving in". Roe vs Wade was such a compromise, but it is not like to Right to accept nothing less than "all or nothing".

Well, I have said in another thread that this outcome was desirable if for no other reason than to demonstrate the danger and obstinance of the "other side" regarding respect of a woman's  reproductive rights, and should take that knowledge into the ballot box against Republicans at all levels of government.

Credence, conservatives are anti-women on a whole.  They hate the modern, educated, & emancipated woman.  They want a woman who is submissive, unintelligent preferably less educated, & fecund a la Michelle Duggar.   Conservative men are THREATENED by women's sexuality which is why they are in a tizzy over women's reproductive freedom.  They don't women to be IN CONTROL OF their sexuality & reproduction.  They want women to suffer for being sexual.   If a woman isn't married, they want her to be a virgin.   If not, they slut shame her in one way or another.   Conservatives, especially men, want women to be incubators, no more no less.

There SHOULD be protests against this draconian law.  There WILL BE MORE protests mind you.   We aren't about to back down.  The abortion law should be federal- as to reiterate, regressive, medieval states like South Carolina don't know how to act.   Abortion SHOULD BE LEGAL in all states.  State law SHOULD NEVER supercede federal law-that is how AB the Republicans are.

"There SHOULD be protests against this draconian law."

Ah, you might want to know that you are not protesting a law. You are protesting the overturning of a legal precedent.  Big difference.

Why should abortion be legal in states where the population does not want it to be legal? If the want abortion to be legal, they have the right to vote for it to be legal. Otherwise, it is up to the residents of a state to decide.

14. Kathleen Cochran profile image76

Of course this happened. It's been the reason for every slimy thing the republicans have done since Christian colleges were forced to either integrate or lose tax free status in the 1970s.. It was never about the unborn. Two good things might come from it. Reasonable people won't have the excuse to mindlessly vote R for every charlatan who runs for office ignoring every other issue that they haven't wanted to be bothered with. And abortion might finally become the private decision of a woman in her own home with a pill (we didn't have in 1973) she received in the mail. They think they can ban those? How much luck have they had with other drugs? As the Zen Master said, "We'll see."

15. Fayetteville Faye profile image61

Justice Alito tells us "The Constitution makes no reference to abortion, and no such right is implicitly protected by any constitutional provision,”.  Well you know what else isn't found in the Constitution?
    9 Justice's on the Supreme Court.

16. Kathleen Cochran profile image76

Love the comment about low I.Q. individuals. Did you see the make up of the January 6 crowd? And as far as "not getting our way", the number of abortions every year are almost the same in countries were it is legal and illegal. (WHO) But it is slightly higher where it is illegal. Especially with the advent of a pill you can get through the mail, the numbers in the US are about to skyrocket. So, what exactly did you "get your way" about?

1. profile image69
      KC McGeeposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Suddenly Democrats discovered what is a women.

"The number of abortions every year are almost the same in countries were it is legal and illegal."

Well, that doesn't apply because it is still legal in many parts of the United States.

The left has done what the left always does, act like idiots.

First the left sent their terrorist groups to illegally harass and try to intimidate the Supreme Court justices. Garland ignored the law and let it happen. This was stupid because it didn't the leftist thugs didn't intimidate the justices, they probably only increased their determination and resolve.

Then, the majority of leftists don't seem to comprehend what has happened. They don't seem to understand that a legal precedent was overturned, not a law. This is what happens when low IQ individuals try to discuss a topic. They talk with emotion rather than facts.

Now, the leftist thugs are protesting in cities and states where abortion remains legal. This is one of the stupidest things from the left in a long time.

IF you are pro choice then realize the states now get to choose how they want to handle abortion.  They get to elect the people to represent them and their views on abortion.  This mean people can now have a say on if they want to have abortion be legal in their state or not.

This is how it should be in a representative republic.

But the left doesn't want people to have the right to choose their laws according to their beliefs.  They want people to follow their beliefs with a federal influence whether they like it or not. Again, since the left has a communist belief system, they feel they can tell people how they should live their life whether they like it or not. They don't care if they voted for it or not.

I always wait for the left to dazzle me with their intellectual brilliance on any topic on any forum.

That has never happened, and I doubt it ever will.

"They don't seem to understand that a legal precedent was overturned, not a law."

This radical court arrogantly took away a constitutional right that had been in place for almost half a century.   Like I said, we have a growing fascist faction in our country and they now have a court that will advance the agenda.

It was unconstitutional, it is not a guaranteed right and it was overturned as such.

What does this say about the legitimacy of the court? How am I to believe that the wisdom, skill or knowledge of the current Court should supersede the judgment of the original Court of 1973 that gave women a constitutional right to abortion?

Because the 1973
              Court ROYALLY screwed up.

Really? Who can make that judgment?   How, who and on what basis did the 73 court screw up?  The current Court completely ignored and set aside the doctrine of Stare decisis.  I don't know about you but I am also deeply in troubled by justices Kavanaugh and Gorsuch stating  in their confirmation hearings that they absolutely believed Roe was settled law only to do a total reversal. Seems very dishonest.

Well is was pretty "settled", before it was fixed.

It doesn't SEEM dishonest but IS dishonest.   It is DEMONIC behavior on the part of the regressive "justices".

As I've said before, nothing was taken from people who didn't want it.

Now people in each state get to have their views and beliefs on abortion be the law of their state.

The people who don't want abortion to be legal in their state are now able to be heard.

3. Readmikenow profile image95

"took away a constitutional right"

They took away no rights. They only made it possible for individual states to determine their laws on abortion.

That is not being fascist.  That is how it works in a representative republic.

We know exactly what happened, Mike.

I will first comment about the fact that there are many Right wing oriented posters that strike me as not necessarily the sharpest knives in the drawer.

So, the women of California protest even though the procedure remains legal in their state? What is there to understand? So, rather than just resist their protests because Rightwingers don't like public protests, you might dig a bit deeper to discover the motive.

It is up to the residents of the states to decide whether abortion is legal in their respective jurisdictions or not, that is, until the autocratic Rightwinger figures a way to prohibit the procedure in Blue States, and as dirty as they are in principle, they are working on it.

So is it ok with you if women protest in lament for other women in other states who have lost their rights? If they protest to keep the cauldron churning regarding being against Republican ideals and policies in this matter as a message to anyone in any of the 50 states, is there a problem?

No one can tell others how to live their lives, but people have the right through peaceful protest to send the messages that can influence opinion. If, by influence, we can change the people, legislatures, we can then change the laws. Pure First Amendment and I know that you are not against that, are you, Mike?

So while you think that it is dumb, I think that it is smart as a correct approach now that we keep kindling on the fire until November, if that is ok with you, Mike?

Rightwingers have always been motivated by fear and have been always been my nemesis. The overreach and reaction to the peaceful protests have already begun by the anti-choice people, let's fire it up and get more into the headlines and commit that many more to see the tyranny of anything "Right". I am counting on it.

Throwing around words like Communist and Marxist is just dangling modifiers, of no real meaning in this debate.

"The overreach and reaction to the peaceful protests"

As I've shown in articles, and there are many of them, the left doesn't know how to conduct peaceful protests. I don't think taking over state capitals, firebombing abortion counseling centers, starting fires, destroying property qualifies as a peaceful protest.

THAT is reality.

I believe the left has a Communistic belief system. It doesn't matter to them if the populations of some states want to have abortion outlawed. They want it legal no matter how these people feel about it. Even if these people have voted to have abortion outlawed in their state, it doesn't matter to the left.

This is how Communists work.  They feel they know better than those who vote for the kind of state they want to live in.  They know how people should live no matter how the people vote.

If a woman wants an abortion, she can still get one.

The only difference is now people who want to make it illegal in their state can do so.

It's like the left really hates people having freedom to decide things for themselves.

"It's like the left really hates people having freedom to decide things for themselves."

Oh my..do you realize how many red States currently  ban abortion without exception?  Actually criminalize it?  I am in one of them. So much for women in this state to make a bodily decision for themselves.  The Maga sect  in this country is driving us straight toward Fascism and sadly, many are absolutely giddy about it.

Can they not make that decision Faye, before there is another life involved/another life to consider? Is it fascist {seemingly your favorite word} to value life?

I dunno, Mike, the 2017 womens march against Trump at the beggining of his administration was world wide and largest of its kind in history, seemed pretty peaceful to me. But, I hope that the new protests in sheer numbers and press coverage will make that look like a folk dance in comparison.

"If a woman wants an abortion, she can still get one."

That will be until McConnell and the GOP autocrats legislate a national prohibition against abortion anywhere based on the silly ideas of personhood for the zygote.

My problem with the Right is associated with the 9th and 10th Amendments of the Constitution, speaking of rights that are reserved by the states and people.

Miscegenation or interracial marriage was illegal in many states as well, just to use an example.

Where is the line drawn between my personal liberties and prerogative of the "state" to interfere in my personal affairs? That is the "real" communism.  You don't make any distinction in your premise or argument. "Uncle" Clearance of the Supreme Court already alluded to the idea that the generally accepted concept of privacy will be under attack.

It is fascist for the state to interfere regarding my choices of intimate partners or otherwise have a judge stationed in my bedroom.

Yes, I like the freedom to decide things for myself, just as the conservative insist should be the case for the "gun nuts". There are somethings that are not anyone's business beyond the Right of the individual to determine relative to either the state of federal government.

So, where do you draw the line, here?

"Where is the line drawn between my personal liberties and prerogative of the "state" to interfere in my personal affairs?"

Isn't that something to be determined by the voting population?

I am always shocked that the left goes absolutely berserk when not everyone agrees with them.  They become completely unhinged.

It is now up to those who choose their state representatives to determine their abortion laws. It is now up to the voting public.

Mike, can the voting population legislate what color socks I am to wear? Listening to your analysis, whether or not I can scratch my nose is up to the state legislatures placed their by Republican voters who can make laws against the same because they do not like it as they believe 
                It is irreverent.

Your reasoning does not preclude this example as a possibility regardless of how ridiculous it may sound,

Shush now. You know the Constitution mentions nothing about socks. Just be grateful you have them at this point.

Is the point or the line of reasoning that I present to Mike here so cryptic or obtuse that it can't be understood?

Since the Constitution says nothing about socks, I guess the right to wear what color you wish is not protected?

"state legislatures placed their by Republican voters who can make laws against the same because they do not like it as they believe"

The same can be said about Democrat voters who make laws. I know some good people who live in California and New York and are extremely upset with many of the laws their state legislatures have passed.

That is a political pendulum that swings both ways.

The principle is neither political or partisan.

A hypothetical situation: the state of Tennessee has passed a law forbidding Cherokee residents from voting.

There are some rights retained by the states and others retained by the citizens and individuals. The Bill of Rights touches on those things.

So, you can't deny anyone the ballot regardless of majorities and fiats from State legislatures, as that is prohibited by the Bill of Rights, which prohibits denying the right to vote to any citizen over the age of 18, who is otherwise not incarcerated. Many of the things that I speak with you about are concepts of individual rights not to abridged by state of federal government.

Whether from the Left or Right, you cannot legislate every single human activity as the Bill of Rights places limitations on that regards to voting (as an example) per the 9th, 10th, 14th, 15th, 19th and 26th. amendments to the Constitution.

Otherwise, we will have to agree to disagree.

The states shouldn't decide if they want abortion, abortion should be FEDERAL law period.  There are regressive states that will make women bear unwanted/ unplanned children WHICH IS WWWWWRRRRROOOONG.  ACCESS TO ABORTION IS A RIGHT AND SHOULD BE FEDERAL LAW!!!!!!!

Well the, there is a process in place to make that happen.  Have the Congress and Senate vote on it and then make it federal law. The constitutionally of it could be challenged at the Supreme Court level.  It could then be declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court.

OR

You could get the Senate and Congress to begin the process to amend the Constitution.  If 2/3rds of the states agree with abortion be a right protected by the Constitution, then there is nothing the Supreme Court can do.

So, all you now need is to get 2/3rds of the states to agree that abortion is a constitutional right, and it will then be the law of the land forever.

2. Sharlee01 profile image79

Federal Government could make one law, a law you might not agree on.. They certainly could have ban abortion and not bothered to send the rights back to the states. Would have you been satisfied with a law that was a one for all law. In some states such as New York, one can get an abortion up to the day of the baby's birth. That is their preference. Some states find this kind of law unacceptable,  Why not let the people in individual states handle their own laws?

Do you live in a state that will ban abortion?

2. GA Anderson profile image88

"Throwing around words like Communist and Marxist is just dangling modifiers, of no real meaning in this debate."

You are right about that. I think it goes for these words as well:

" the fact that there are many Right wing oriented posters that strike me as not necessarily the sharpest knives in the drawer."

I don't see an alternate meaning, other than one directed at your fellow forum members. But that must be wrong, surely you aren't arrogant enough to actually say that out loud on purpose, right?

And you lead-off, setting the stage for your comment, with that thought. . . 

GA

What the hell. I'm sounding like a damn hall monitor. Not my intention. I'll stop. It's just nuts to see rational folks flip-out. You guys have at it. I'll join where it works.

GA

"I always wait for the left to dazzle me with their intellectual brilliance on any topic on any forum.

And I doubt that it ever will"

-----------
            Just giving as good as I get, hall monitor.....,

Yeah, my bad.

GA

17. Kathleen Cochran profile image76

Life is in the sperm and the egg long before conception. Life begins at conception is a convenient rationalization for people who want to justify their interference in the reproductive process while condemning others. All life in the womb is the same - human or animal. They differentiate at birth when a human exhibits the presence of a soul.

Ahhhh, but could you kill a cute little German Shepherd puppy, they are so darn cute!

2. wilderness profile image95

"...a human exhibits the presence of a soul."

What is this "exhibition"?  What does that newborn infant do that is exhibiting a soul?  What does it do that is different that a newborn cat, for instance?

Whatever it is, how can you be sure it isn't doing it before birth, while still inside the mother?

3. AliciaC profile image94
      AliciaCposted 22 months agoin reply to this

The questions that Wilderness has posed are important. Biologically, we are animals. I’m not saying that the soul doesn’t exist, but if it does, it must be part of all animal life, including that of humans (and perhaps of organisms other than animals). The existence of the soul would be part of nature, using the term in its widest sense.

"if it does, it must be part of all animal life"

When you go down this path, you are inviting different viewpoints based on writings in holy books. The Jews, Christians, Muslims as well as Hindus and others have some very different views when it comes to the human soul.

Maybe we should stick to the legality of abortion rights being turned over to the states.

1. AliciaC profile image94
          AliciaCposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Wilderness and I noticed a point in a post that seemed problematic to us. We have the right to post our opinions about it. The topic is indirectly related to theme of the thread. Even if it wasn’t, such as the interesting post about the German Shepherd puppy, in a long thread like this one it is highly unlikely to change the topic.

The strange comment of humans and animals being no different until a soul enters in, prompted the puppy response. Strange begets strange I suppose.

18. Kathleen Cochran profile image76

When a human receives a soul (conscienceless, or whatever separates us from animals) does to an extent depend on your religious beliefs. The Bible says God formed man from the dust of the ground and breathed into him the breath of life and man became a living soul. Jews' beliefs are similar. Simply scenically, I guess we can debate. A baby smiles at around six weeks. Is that evidence of a consciousness?  Wilderness, again we agree. I'm more than willing to leave it to the individual.

19. Kathleen Cochran profile image76

I take exception to the evangelical statement as if fact that life begins at conception - refusing to take their own Bible as literally as they claim. (Full disclosure: I am a Believer myself. But I am not what political evangelicals have perverted Christianity into.)

20. IslandBites profile image89
    IslandBitesposted 22 months ago

Israel loosens abortion regulations in response to Roe

JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel on Monday eased its regulations on abortion access in what the country’s health minister said was a response to last week’s “sad” U.S. Supreme Court ruling overturning Roe v. Wade.

Health Minister Nitzan Horowitz, said the U.S. decision had turned back the clock for women’s rights.

“A woman has a complete right over her body,” he said. “The SCOTUS decision to negate a woman’s right to make a choice over her own body is a sad process of women’s repression, setting the leader of the free and liberal world a hundred years back.”

Bring on the lawsuits. I'm waiting for Jewish groups or filings  from a Jewish women who have access to an abortion denied by a Christian Theocracy state sue that the Christian rules inhibit her religious freedom under the free exercise clause of the 1st Amendment. Let's go.

I am praying for an end to the violence, for Jane's Revenge to take a deep breath and for the safety of those working in Pregnancy Centers throughout the land. Also praying for the Supreme Court Justices and for peace and calm across this great Nation.

21. abwilliams profile image68

Amen and hear, hear Mike!
    This conservative woman chose to marry and have my children at a young age and for the past 30+ years, along with being a Mom, I have been an equal, hands on, partner in a lucrative, long-standing, small business.

22. abwilliams profile image68

Ya'll sure do sell women short!

No, Conservatives ARE.   We liberals are fighting for women to have FULL REPRODUCTIVE freedom so they can attain their educational & socioeconomic potential.    Reproductive freedom including access to abortion, birth control, & SMALL FAMILIES are crucial for women to achieve their FULL potential.  This is the 21st century, not the 12th century which Conservatives are pining for.

There are tens of millions of prolife women who disagree with your assessment of "women."

Pro-life women have IT WRONG.   They are gender traitors.  Any woman who is against abortion, well.............................

I'm sure that prolife women believe you are extremely confused.  They would probably consider you to be the gender traitor.

No, you liberals think women (in general) do not have the intelligence to choose when and if they will become Mothers. All while selling us short, as you chastise us for choosing motherhood, AS IF, we cannot be great mothers and great at our careers, simultaneously.

There are only two ways to choose motherhood. One is using a contraceptive like the pill, the other is not having sex until you choose to become a mother.
          Otherwise you do not choose to become mother but let it happen or are forced.
          Either way, I think the contraceptive gave women far more liberty to choose the time to have children and thus be more mature in their decision.
          And as a bonus enjoy sex more without being afraid of getting pregnant.

A resounding yes.   The Pill is the GREATEST invention ever.   Because of the pill, women had sexual freedom & were liberated from the chain of body destiny.    There is also the implant which gives EVEN GREATER sexual freedom than the pill which is primitive in comparison.   No, motherhood shouldn't be unexpected nor forced.    Contraception gives women the freedom of SMALL families instead of being burdened by LARGE families(ugh).

23. Kathleen Cochran profile image76

"one of the most sickening political ploys I have seen in my lifetime." Did you miss McConnell circumventing the Constitution when he stole two Supreme Court seats? This recent action is based on unethical if not illegal actions. Where in the Bible does it say the ends justify the means? Abortion rates fall where abortion is legal. This was never about the unborn. It is about imposing a minority's religious views on others.

This is SO TRUE.  Conservatives/Republicans/Regressives don't care about human life- this anti-abortion ruling is ALL ABOUT POWER, PARTICULARLY PATRIARCHAL power.

"Did you miss McConnell circumventing the Constitution when he stole two Supreme Court seats?"

Anybody who believes this has no idea what the process of selecting a supreme court justice.

Nothing was stolen. Everything was done as it is supposed to have been done for over 100 years.

"It is about imposing a minority's religious views on others."

The women in states where abortion is illegal have full voting rights to change it if they desire.

"The women in states where abortion is illegal have full voting rights to change it if they desire."

After this Roe ruling, they may do just that.

24. abwilliams profile image68

Do you believe in the magical birth canal Faye?

https://youtu.be/CNgwsT295G8

25. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 22 months ago

Just for info are some good links if interested that have enlightened me of least, of which also is statistical truths. For instance abortions have been a downward trend since 2000. That speaks to cultural/societal change. Also, regard late term abortions they only account for <1% of all abortions rendering kinda' a mute argument as to severity of it being a common abortion. Most abortions occur between 7 - 9 weeks at 36%. There is a ton of info at the links below that might validate or invalidate positions.

U.S. Abortion Statistics by Abort73.com
    https://abort73.com/abortion_facts/us_a … tatistics/

Nine out of 10 abortions done before 12 weeks in many high-income countries by BMJ (A world perspective for compare/contrast)
    https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroom/ni … countries/

What the data says about abortion in the U.S. by Pew Research (06/24/22)
    https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 … the-u-s-2/

United States Abortion Demographics by Guttmacher Institute, of which studies abortion worldwide.
    https://www.guttmacher.org/united-state … mographics

People of All Religions Use Birth Control and Have Abortions by Guttmacher Institute
    https://www.guttmacher.org/article/2020 … -abortions

Realizing those don't speak to questions of morality, religious reasons, and etc., which for some is the question at hand they do speak to silly things like how often it is performed, what race, what income level, what education level, what religious affiliation, and etc. For me of least it has dispelled myths being circulated by some media stoking fires of this and that.

Thank you for compiling and posting this.

"In 2019, 79% of all U.S. abortions occurred prior to the 10th week of gestation; 93% occurred prior to 14 weeks’ gestation (CDC)."

The Supreme Court had the opportunity to make a compromise by upholding Dobbs (15 week ban) without overturning Roe and it would have been in line with what is actually already happening in our country.

1. tsmog profile image84

Your welcome!

The bottom line is the SC made a decision and we will have to live with it. At this time I am taking up the Libertarian banner that it is a matter of conscience and not public decree. It is a matter of Liberty and Free Will as I see it. Thus, supporting Pro-Choice, though I am against abortion. An oxymoron that I can live.

Libertarians: Abortion is a matter for individual conscience, not public decree
        https://www.lp.org/libertarians-abortio … ic-decree/

Fortunately here in Calif abortion will either be a state constitution amendment or not. And, it will be decided by the people on Nov's ballot and not representatives presently voted into office with whatever prejudices they have. As I see it it is a 'Now' moment and not a past moment and the people should be directly involved/participating in what ever legislation is proposed. That to me is Democracy.

Abortion amendment heads to California voters
        https://calmatters.org/newsletters/what … amendment/

26. Readmikenow profile image95

Guess what?  There are babies who survive late-term abortions and live to tell about it.

Read the stories of these women who survived a late term abortion.  These are people who have gone on to live productive lives.

These are people abortionists would have killed.

"These women survived late-term abortions, and we should listen to them"

https://www.liveaction.org/news/women-s … abortions/

27. Fayetteville Faye profile image61

There is an absolute thirst for Fascism by many in this country. 

"state lawmakers are working with the conservative Thomas More Society to draft model legislation based on the legal mechanism of Texas’ six-week abortion ban—the bill with a bounty-hunter mechanism that would allow private citizens to sue anyone who helps a pregnant woman travel out of state for an abortion. This legislation would rely on the surveillance of pregnant women and people."

The Post reported that anti-abortion lawmakers were discussing the prospect of a travel ban at two conferences this past weekend. There’s no draft text yet, but lawmakers in Arkansas and South Dakota are reportedly considering this tactic and could even introduce bills at special sessions this summer.

.....and I see it as an "absolute thirst for blood by many in this country"! Who do we think we are?
      What gives us license to play God?
      Every LIFE should get their shot, they are entitled with a God-given RIGHT to life....what makes us so special to deny them those rights?
      We'll never agree on this, no matter how many rounds we go.....

How do you think States should achieve this end? Women should have to log into menstrual trackers maybe?  Maybe they could be chipped somehow, health information could be directly relayed to a government source? Maybe just border checkpoints? A negative test leaving the state?   What measures can a state government use to get a grip on these women?
        Government babysitters for doctors?  I mean, if we threaten taking away a doctor's license and giving them jail time I'm sure that most of them would back away from performing the procedure.

Obviously I was responding to your thirst for fascism remark.

I think each individual state will figure our what works best for the people of their state.

Well, fascist measures would likely have to be put into place. How else do you prevent citizens physical movement?
            Ankle monitors would work though.

Okay let's revisit a previous round, IF the people of an individual state believe that their representation is flawed, they fire those representatives and hire new ones. This is how it works, here in America.
              IF you are in the minority, and never have the representation you'd prefer, that's when you make a move to a state that is friendlier toward aborting babies.
              Oregon was the most pro-abortion state, but I believe that New York one-upped them.

1. tsmog profile image84

Just curious . . . should the people themselves vote on if to have abortion or not? Or, should it be left to representatives that were voted in well before Roe v Wade was overturned? I ask because here in Calif an amendment is going to the ballot in Nov whereby the people directly get to vote on the issue. Is that happening in the other states?

Edit: Yeah, I know I butted in wink

In my state, the people were not polled. The trigger band went into effect almost immediately. A total abortion ban with no exceptions.
                  We also have a legislator here who is drafting a bill to prevent women from leaving the state for an abortion. I did look up his campaign material when he ran for election and this sort of stance was not in his platform.

LOL, feel free to butt in anytime tsmog.

Didn't the people (the voters) of Cali vote against same sex marriage and wasn't it pushed through anyway, by those who know better? Of course, the Supreme Court sided with Cali on this matter.
                  On the national level, healthcare for all, wasn't popular, people liked their Doctors and liked their plans and wanted to keep both, but the Obama Admin. knew better and pushed that through...people didn't keep their Doctors nor their plans, but que sera sera...

I guess there are never any guarantees in life {except taxes and death}

I am sure that there will be many amendments on many ballots across this land come election time.
                  My state, Florida, is a pro-life state FOR NOW, but I am sure there's an amendment in the works.
                  We have people moving in from all parts of the world every day, so I do realize that I may end up in the minority, at some point.

My advice is to always know what will be on the ballot, long before voting day. Some of the wording on amendments is very clever {or rather, very deceiving}!

Another subject for another day. smile

1. tsmog profile image84

So, are you saying 'yes' the people should directly vote on abortion no matter which direction that vote results with?

3. TheShadowSpecter profile image84

It should be the people themselves.  This is an issue that affects virtually everyone.  It could be presented on the November ballot of each state as either a question, a proposition, or a measure for the voters to decide on the fate of abortion rather than the elected state officials.  It makes perfect sense, because then everyone who has some kind of interest or another in the SCOTUS's decision to overturn Roe vs. Wade would now have to get out and vote.

Yes, I agree. It should be the people. Not a group of people. Specific each mature individual. And, especially the fetus carrying mother.                                               In nature the lesser animals do arbort the young, and its not deliberate. The representative law makers should not decide. It's evil.                                            When I was rearing fowls some 10 years ago, I recalled seeing one of chickens unable to follow the mother hen. On closer examination, I realise it was blind. I've to melt penicilin on both eyes, and after about 36 hours, the bird regain it's sight.                                              Now, why did not nature, or the mother-hen aborted that egg? Again, why don't I destroy the chicken? You got me thinking? Good.

2. Fayetteville Faye profile image61

Gotcha, so measures to prevent women's movement across state lines are okay as long as your state reps/governor that their citizens voted for say it's needed.

Or they could just run everything by you first! wink

So, you are serious, AB?

Your state legislators can have the authority to prevent women seeking an abortion from leaving the state?

Conservative thinking?

It is irritating that you or anyone else can deny adult people the Right of interstate travel to acquire a service that is legal in another state?

Do you really know what you are saying? This idea among so many of you that your legislatures can virtually impose slavery if they so legislate has to be ludicrous, how can you abide with it?

Tyranny and autocracy, this is how it starts.....

28. Fayetteville Faye profile image61

Hours after the Supreme Court action, Ohio  had outlawed any abortion after six weeks. Now this doctor had a 10-year-old patient in the office who was six weeks and three days pregnant.  a victim of abuse.  Thankfully this poor battered child was able to be seen in Indiana for an abortion. At the moment it is still available there but most likely not for long. 
    In this child's case, who thinks she should have been forced to carry the fetus to term?

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/202 … 788415001/

29. Fayetteville Faye profile image61

Not all those seeking an abortion are unintelligent women who use the procedure as birth control...

“Today we saw a patient in Dayton who has cancer. Her doctors told her she would have to terminate before she received chemotherapy treatment. She will have to travel to Indiana.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/local/t … 6ZNQPMGYI/

1. IslandBites profile image89
      IslandBitesposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Also,

A 10-year-old girl was denied an abortion in Ohio after the Supreme Court ruled last week that it was overturning Roe v. Wade.

A child abuse doctor in Ohio contacted Dr. Caitlin Bernard, an obstetrician-gynecologist in Indiana, after receiving a 10-year-old patient who was six weeks and three days pregnant, the Indianapolis Star reported.

That patient is now heading west to Indiana given that an abortion ban in Ohio, which prohibits the medical procedure when fetal cardiac activity begins, around six weeks, had become effective quickly after the high court issued its decision.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/3 … n-in-ohio/

This is what happens when the radicals (from either side of the fence) get their way.  Ordinary people always end up paying the cost for their dreams of utopia and control. 

What happened is shameful and should never be allowed to happen again in any state in the country.  The Constitution was never intended for any state to be able to mistreat its people this way.

+1000000000000000

A pregnant 10 year old, that's crazy. I thought 11 or 12 was about the youngest a girl could get pregnant. Of course this is a horrible story! Who got her pregnant, what is the story, where were her parents, did she tell anyone during this 6 week period? I am wondering how many sexually trafficked little girls have become impregnated and have gone through abortions. Is it assembly line abortion in the cruel world of sex trafficking? Will stricter abortion laws make any difference in the desperately horrific lives of these young girls stuck in the sex trade?
        This is horrible, there are equally horrible stories of doctors and nurses who have witnessed babies pulling away from the instruments designed to finish them off. A former abortion Doctor has described getting kicked and then realizing that it was a baby that kicked him, that he killed. That was his very last abortion.
        The rape of a little girl is horrible, abortion is ugly, the way people talk to each other and treat each other, instead of trying to understand each other is sad & unfortunate.
        The big picture that one person might see, isn't the same as the big picture another sees.
        I may be the only one wondering about this 10 year -old and what her life has been like. Has she ever been allowed to be a kid? Was anyone ever looking out for her? Would her body have ever been able to carry a child to full term? Doubtful! Most likely she would have miscarried. What will an abortion do to someone so young? Will she ever be able to have children when she is older? Of course, I agree that a 10 year old shouldn't be a mother. So sad!!!!!

The father should be put in jail for statutory rape.  DNA tests must be done, and a police investigation needs to be conducted. The abortion is only part of the story. Those who did this to her need to be held responsible.

Oh it was her father? Oh dear Lord!! sad
            Amen, the door should be locked and the key thrown away.

30. Fayetteville Faye profile image61
    Fayetteville Fayeposted 20 months ago

A Republican who just realized his political actions have real life consequences:

A South Carolina lawmaker became emotional on Tuesday after explaining that an anti-abortion law that he voted for could have resulted in the death of a young woman.

Republican state Rep. Neal Collins told South Carolina's House Judiciary Committee that he would not be voting on a ban that only has exceptions for saving the life of the mother. The bill provides no provisions for victims of rape or incest.

Collins revealed that he had sleepless nights after learning that doctors (under the direction of hospital lawyers) refused to extract the fetus from a 19-year-old woman whose water broke at 15 weeks of pregnancy.

Doctors told Collins there was a "greater than 50% chance that she's going to lose her uterus."

He said there was also a 10% chance that the woman could die of sepsis.

"That weighs on me," Collins remarked. "I voted for that bill. These are affecting people.

The lawmaker's voice cracked as he explained that the woman had to wait two weeks before the fetus could be extracted without a beating heart.

"What we do matters," Collins said, pausing to collect himself. "Out of respect for the process, I'm not voting today. But I want it to be clear that myself and many others are not in a position to vote for this bill without significant changes to the bill."

At that point, the committee chair cut off Collins and asked for a vote on the bill, which the committee approved.

31. Fayetteville Faye profile image61
    Fayetteville Fayeposted 20 months ago

Three more States totally banned abortion today. Texas, Tennessee and Idaho.  Texas adds a cherry on top with criminal charges attached such as $100,000 fines and up to  life in prison.

South Carolina and West Virginia will follow suit in early September. No votes on any of these. The overreach is clear.
    Let freedom Ring.

Let them keep overreaching. I hope that they continue, it will intensify the anger and the choices for women will be just that much more clear next November.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
        Kathryn L Hillposted 20 months agoin reply to this

... or more and more women might get out nickels to hold between their legs.
        Until they WANT a true choice.

Naw, we are going to run the Rightwingers out with their tails between their legs.

abwilliamsposted 20 months agoin reply to this

You keep repeating the same things, abortion will not be totally banned. If a pregnancy is threatening the life of the mother and it is necessary to abort, in order to save the mother, then that's what they'll do. Not one of these states would let a mother die in order for her baby to live. Unless maybe she's dying anyway from cancer or something and wants her child to have a chance ??? I don't know what they do in those rare cases.

But since the repeal of Roe vs.Wade and the Dobbs decision, Republicans in Red Statehouses around the country have been "doubling down" on its anti-choice position.

Now all the sudden, once it can be shown to be a political liability against their candidates in November, they talk about moderation and reasonableness. Too late.......

32. abwilliams profile image68
    abwilliamsposted 20 months ago

That's too much to ask Kathryn.....responsibility!
    What a concept!

33. abwilliams profile image68
    abwilliamsposted 20 months ago

Well stated Kathryn.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)