jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Why is being apart of the LGBT community or A different race, still not accepted

1. CaitlinReed profile image61
    CaitlinReedposted 10 months ago

Why is being apart of the LGBT community or A different race, still not accepted by some people?

2. Jason mackenzie profile image45
    Jason mackenzieposted 10 months ago

I would say the degree of acceptance - how much ever it is - is definitely much higher than what it was a decade ago. At least nowadays people can declare their orientation openly as compared to earlier when it was regarded simply unthinkable.

Yes, there is still some distance to go but in my opinion our society is moving towards acceptance, albeit a little slowly.

3. lisavollrath profile image95
    lisavollrathposted 10 months ago

People fear what they do not know.

I live in Texas, but I'm not from here. I find that many of my neighbors who are racist or homophobic simply don't know people who aren't straight white Christians. They've never sat down and shared a meal with someone who is gay, black, or Muslim. They rely on what other people tell them about various groups of people.

I recently had a conversation with my neighbor's adult son, about Muslims. He's afraid of Muslims. I asked him if he actually knew any, and he said no, but pointed to stories in the news.

I countered with the fact that I run into Muslim women in the grocery store, and smile and chat with them, just like I do with any other women I meet there. Some of the checkers at our local Walmart are Muslim, and they're just as polite and chatty as those who aren't. These people aren't nameless, faceless others any longer. They're our neighbors, and the people we interact with as we do business.

Is our city suddenly some hotbed of radical terrorist activity? No. It's quiet and safe, just as it always has been. People are moving here from other places in the world, but they want the same thing the rest of us do: to lead a quiet, happy life.

I think when people get to know those they fear, they realize we have more in common than we have differences.

1. Jason mackenzie profile image45
      Jason mackenzieposted 10 months agoin reply to this

Like they say - Fear of the Unknown.

But I would still say that people are gradually overcoming it and emerging from their shells. Maybe I am being optimistic but some progress, albeit gradual, is all it takes...

4. Pam Morris profile image82
    Pam Morrisposted 10 months ago

I feel when it comes to LGBT it because of some people believeth, and with race it because some people are just ignorant with No wisdom what soever.