Who Is Responsible For Trust - The Giver or Receiver

1. GA Anderson profile image80
    GA Andersonposted 2 months ago

In this age of Google, Facebook, and Twitter; who is responsible for the trustworthiness of what they provide as information?

Should the reader always follow that Russian proverb that Pres. Reagan made famous; "trust, but verify?"

Or should we have some expectation of truthfulness in information made available to us?

I am sure it is no surprise that I would take a shortcut and forget the "trust" part, and always follow the "verify" part, but I wonder about folks, (as a demographic), that use info sources like facebook for their news and facts.

GA

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 2 months agoin reply to this

I take news & social media w/a grain of salt.   One has to be highly discerning regarding any output of news & social information.  If it sounds too fantastical or hyperbolic, then ignore it.   Also one has to look into the bias of the person or source reporting the information.    Yes, journalistic standards maintains that one should be unbiased in his/her reporting but such isn't the case today or ever.   Reporters have their innate biases in reporting news.   

Trust?  Reporters have the interests of their organization at heart.  They also have THEIR OWN interests at heart.  They want to make their particular organization & themselves look good.  Many reporters want to become celebrities & see their reporting jobs as career opportunities.  Reporters have THEIR OWN & the organization's bottom line i.e. report the news in according to what the organization believe to be news.  Only a minute percentage of organizations are trustworthy when it comes to reporting news.  News sources have been either overtly or covertly biased.  It is up to us to discern what is truth from what isn't.

2. Live to Learn profile image79
      Live to Learnposted 2 months agoin reply to this

It has always been the reader's responsibility. Even prior to the internet.

working