Legitimate arguments for or against using curse words

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)
  1. TheBumble profile image79
    TheBumbleposted 6 years ago

I would like to hear people's opinions on using curse words. Obviously, people get offended by them because of social norms, but is there any actually difference between saying poop and sh!t? The only argument I can think of is that curse words have been found to relieve anger and express to yourself effectively. I.e. saying, "I am very angry" doesn't carry the same weight as "I'm f@&#ing pissed." Also, in an emergency situation, curse words can be used to express urgency. So maybe for those reasons, we should reserve their use. Does anyone have any arguments for why curse words are bad?

P. S. I realize the irony of censoring my curse examples. I'm not sure what the policy is around here.

2. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 6 years ago

I think context is important.

I can’t stand it when people can’t seem to make it through a sentence without swearing. To me it sounds unintelligent. I remember trying to talk to my mom on the phone once on campus and there was a guy beside me talking to his friend who dropped the f-bomb nearly every second word and it was extremely irritating and he sounded like an idiot. I finally turned to him and asked him to “shut the f*** up already” which in my opinion was an excellent use of the word. wink

It can also be used as a weapon in a way, as some curse words carry more weight than others when you use them against someone personally. But that can be said for many words, not just of the curse variety.

In general I really don’t mind it and I do swear quite a bit myself. I do try to pay attention to what environment I’m in though as there are places that demand a certain level of politeness. (My husband is awful at this... I had to remind him a few months ago that an elementary school Christmas concert was not the place to say “shit” - in fairness to him he always feels terrible when he realizes he’s done it lol)

I think that certain words elicit certain responses from people and that’s just the way that language works. Sort of like if you were to say “I hate you” to a spouse during an argument rather than “I’m very upset with you” the emotional response would probably be very different. Generally the more severe curse words serve to elicit more severe responses from people.

3. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 6 years ago

I have never seen so many younger people using horrible language in my  64 years  as do today , in front of parents , in front of children ,EVEN by children ,  in church , in public . in private . Hardly any lengthy  conversation can be had without  that language being used .
    Shameful !

4. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 6 years ago

I raised my kids with the advice that foul language is indicative of one of two things. Either you are too mad or too dumb to think of another word. Neither use foul language in normal conversation.

5. TheBumble profile image79
    TheBumbleposted 6 years ago

According to studies by the University of Rochester, more intelligent people typically curse more often so the "too dumb to use a better word" argument doesn't hold water.

I can't find any reason to avoid cursing other than people are offended by it because society shaped them into believing a word is bad. Sure, if you only use a curse word when you're trying to express anger, it will be more obvious that you are truly angry. But your tone can offer the same impact.

1. Live to Learn profile image60
      Live to Learnposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Being intelligent, overall, doesn't negate the probability that one's vocabulary range could use some work. Unless, one simply likes to appear unintelligent and under educated.

1. mrpopo profile image73
        mrpopoposted 6 years agoin reply to this

There are other studies that link swearing with higher vocabularies: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a … 011400151X

2. TheBumble profile image79
        TheBumbleposted 6 years agoin reply to this

At the same time, the incessant use of an extensive vocabulary with pompous palaver and vexatious peculiarities can be unequivocally obnoxious and pretentious, or, in a more customary vernacular, people who are always using big words are annoying as... fudge.

6. profile image0

Go back to colonial diplomacy and discourse in political discussions , They were far more effective in debate and used far cleaner language to do so . Using foul language is just that - foul language .

I understand that people are offended by cursing, but my question is why? What makes one word any different than the other? Poop and sh!t both mean the exact same thing. Does one just sound worse than the other? Why has society developed taboo words?

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I guess it could be called Decent Manners ?

Manners are a social construct. In the UK, bloody is a "bad" word, but in the US, it's a "normal" word. I do agree with the use of manners and whatnot; to live successfully in a society, you must adhere to the rules of society. I personally enjoy cursing, but I'm not going to roll into the bank like, "What's happening witches?!"

What I a'm currently searching for is an argument that is based in fact and research rather than an "it's just the way that it is" argument.

2. Aime F profile image70
          Aime Fposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Manners are kinda already out the window if you’re talking about poop anyway, might as well just commit.

7. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 6 years ago

Another study suggests that people who swear are more sincere wink

https://globalnews.ca/news/3160474/peop … ont-study/

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

LOL  I would have said it is used to cover insincerity!

2. TheBumble profile image79

I think it can go one of two ways for sure. Just like with the "more intelligent" study. Surely that isn't always the case.

The sincerity thing makes sense though just because cursing is so frowned upon. Anyone who is going to say the big F you probably doesn't have a problem telling you anything else lol

8. profile image0

Big problem today is listening to minor children use this language . I mean adult language is bad enough but it's adults who then suffer the results right ? But when minor children use such language around adults it reflects directly on our impressions  of youth becoming adults in public and private  relations . I can hear the excuses now as to why.......  "Mom Dad , I got fired on my first day of work and I don't f----ing know why "..........

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)