FACE APP ! ! ! :(

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 5 years ago

Someone I know texted a picture of my distorted face. I don't know why using FaceApp has become such a tantalizing past time: it went viral recently.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoetsi … fff0d762f1

I consider this endeavor harmful to the psyche. Our facial features are  unique, precious and deeply tied to our souls. When I saw what this person sent to me, with no explanation, I was devastated!
    (This person is my son-in-law and I thought it was VERY disrespectful.)

I have met others who felt the same. I don't think the results of using this app should be spread around. Its okay to rearrange one's own face out of curiosity but not others.

Boundaries!
    sad

1. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you. But even more dangerous than that (to the user) I heard Michael Smerconish say this morning that the app is Russian created and owned and he asked "how much privacy is the user giving up to the Russians." He was laughing and showing off his newly created face on TV. He said that he hadn't given up any privacy to the Russians because his broadcast assistant had taken a photo of him and run it through the app. He said she would be the one taking the risk.

DO THE USERS KNOW THAT THIS APP IS RUSSIAN CREATED AND OWNED?

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

I read your link after I had made my post. So you do know. Others need to be alerted. Humans are such sheep!

Kathryn L Hillposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks MizBejeabbers.

3. Eastward profile image79
    Eastwardposted 5 years ago

I agree that this trend and trends like it are disturbing. If you asked the same percentage of people to store their data in a facial recognition app, there would be an uproar. If you asked nearly every person to carry a tracking device, there would be an uproar. Yet, we are in love with our mobile phones. All this data is a modern gold mine and the general public should get wise to its value.  And as you said, there should be boundaries and people shouldn't use you facial data without your permission!

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

VERY INTERESTING:
    "Sailkat Chakrabarti became the Sanders campaign's Director of Organizing Technology and was part of the effort that created technology for grassroots supporters to collaborate on organizing events The software helped volunteers find other volunteers who lived nearby and helped coordinate "millions" of volunteers to call into battleground states, multiplying the effort of local volunteers and staff. Chakrabarti's technological edge is credited with being "a major component in the success of Sanders’ presidential run."

In the Sanders campaign Chakrabarti worked closely with Alexandra Rojas and Corbin Trent to stage campaign events around the country. Charkrabarti told Rolling Stone that he often heard voters express strong concerns about Congress: "people would say, ‘How’s he going to get anything done? We just saw what Congress did to Obama for the last eight years, they’re gonna do the same thing to Bernie.'" As a result, in the spring of 2016, Chakrabarti (together with Rojas and Trent) co-founded the Brand New Congress political action committee, to recruit 400 new candidates for Congress. Chakrabarti told Rachel Maddow in 2016, the goal was to have unified fundraising of small donors modeled on the Sanders campaign in hopes of politicians who work for their voters rather than spend their time seeking donations. The group received many applications and supported 12 candidates, of whom only Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez won a seat in Congress.

Justice Democrats
    In early 2017, after Trump's election, Chakrabarti, Rojas, and Trent became less involved with Brand New Congress, and became co-founders of the Justice Democrats. As an executive director of Justice Democrats, Chakrabarti wrote software to organize in a "distributed fashion".[ Justice Democrats targeted an entrenched "corporate Democrat" in Joe Crowley. Hearing Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's dynamic speaking ability sealed the deal to make her the challenger the group would support. Activist strategies mobilized by Justice Democrats contributed greatly to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's primary win, according to The Intercept.

'From day one, these volunteers started knocking doors and reaching into their own networks to expand this volunteer army, allowing us to go into election day with over a thousand volunteers willing to mobilize voters. We buttressed door-knocking with a heavy digital, phone calling, and texting strategy that targeted progressive voters in five different languages. Through this, we built a multiracial, progressive coalition of voters who had been hearing our message for a year and were excited to turn out to vote on June 26.'" Wikipedia

Hmmm, interesting. This sounds like a grassroots organization is doing for the Democrats what the Koch brothers are doing for the Republicans. Can't object to that. At least it's grassroots, not one self-interested rich family.

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

As far as I am concerned technology/computers have thrown a monkey wrench into human life on earth.
    I suppose at some point God will impose another reset upon earth to get us back on track.
    Sooner the better in my opinion. I wonder how long we must endure this technology nuisance.

6. Glenis Rix profile image96
    Glenis Rixposted 5 years ago

The Great Hack - free to view on Netflix makes interesting viewing.

7. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Grass roots? ... with such technological assistance?
    Or are (some?) Muslims out to do us in.
    despite our acceptance and tolerance of the "good ones"
    ... and if they're so good why don't they do something about the bad ones?

Sailkat Chakrabarti's father is Muslim.

don't call me racist.
        I'm just wondering.

since I do believe we are a Christian nation.

2. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I've been waiting my entire life for good Christians to do something about the bad ones.

Must be a problem with all religions.

8. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

The fact that we are Judaeo Christian nation has given us great success and happiness.

... and don't call me white.

1. profile image0

Should we call you pink? Or, are you just talking to yourself?

1. GA Anderson profile image83
          GA Andersonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Leave Pink alone. I am a huge fan, especially for her cover of Me & Bobby McGee.

Ha! You did it again! Now I will be listening to Pink for the next hour or so. She is so damn talented!

GA

Seriously, I am listening to one of her new songs with Nate Ruess now. You are a Pink fan, aren't you?

Wait, even if you aren't,k lie to me. I could never talk to you again if you don't like Pink.

GA

1. profile image0

Yes, I love Pink, both the color and the artist.

Okay Ms. It's been twenty minutes, and here is where you put me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHrsqTKoHfw

Take a break and enjoy the link. With earbuds, if you have them.

GA

1. profile image0

Wow, I love that she is so strong.

And I used my headphones. :-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)