The Robert's Court is about to become the most Activist Court Ever

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)
  1. My Esoteric profile image87
    My Esotericposted 3 months ago

The Conservative Robert's Supreme Court is about to assign another long-standing precedent, this one which protects the lives of all Americans, to the judicial graveyard along side the devastating Dobb's decision which took away women's federally protected right to privacy.

In 1984, the Court ruled that because judges are NOT experts in anything but the law, if a decision needed to be made regarding the interpretation of an administrative rule, the agency with the experts who made that rule should be deferred to - so long as the rule was reasonable.  THAT is about to be overturned by this activist Court leaving all sorts of rules designed to protect your and my life subject to being ruled unconstitutional. This was called the Chevron decision.

For example, the Clean Air and Clean Water Acts that Justice Gorsuch's mother, as head of Reagan's EPA and was unceremoniously forced to resign by Reagan, fought very hard to kill.  (Gorsuch, at 15, was very upset at the forced resignation of his mother and is now extremely biased against the Chevron Rule and should recuse himself.)

Leonard Leo, head of the Federalist Society which told Trump which people to nominate for the Supreme Court, had two goals in mind: Kill Rowe v Wade and Kill Chevron.  With his nominations it seems he may get his dream fulfilled.

If these conservative Justices rule as expected, get ready for dirty air and polluted water to return to the American scene along with the thousands of women who lives are now at risk because of Dobb's.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/17/politics … index.html

1. Sharlee01 profile image81
      Sharlee01posted 3 months agoin reply to this

Interesting case --- The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration implemented a Final Rule in 2020 to force fishing companies like Relentless Inc., Huntress Inc., and Seafreeze Fleet LLC, to pay for human at-sea monitors aboard their vessels. Congress never gave the agency authority to launch such a program. This at-sea monitor mandate violates the Constitution’s Article I.

Seems we are seeing more and more people not willing to have the long arm of government dictating their right to make a living without being penalized financially beyond their capacity to make a profit.

Sticky situation, I mean we need regulation regarding the environment, but have they gone to far?

My Esotericposted 3 months agoin reply to this

If the Conservative Court rules against the Executive Branch and Congress, the lives of millions of Americans will be at risk.

Effectively, Congress will have to write all the Rules an executive agency creates to carry out the will of Congress into each law.  The environmental laws that you mention will probably be the first to go.  Keep in mind, it was the Clean Air and Clean Water Acts that Gorsuch's mother (and not Gorsuch) was trying to kill.  That was too much for Reagan and he forced her to resign. (and Gorsuch, who should recuse himself, is carrying that bias into his decision-making.)

BTW, did you look into WHY those fisheries were required to carry those monitors?  I just did, and on the face of it, I agree with the fishermen. 

As I see it, the Court has an out.  Chevron requires judges to err on the side of agencies and their experts UNLESS the rule is found not to be reasonable, which, in my opinion, this one is not.  So, all the Justices have to do is follow Chevron and declare the Rule unreasonable and cannot be enforced.

2. Willowarbor profile image61
        Willowarborposted 3 months agoin reply to this

the Supreme Court appears on the precipice of either overturning or limiting the scope of Chevron deference. Once again overturning precedence.

Chevron lets judges defer to federal agencies when it comes to figuring out how to implement a law if there are disputes over how to interpret the language Congress passed. The assumption is that the agency has more expertise on the matter than a federal judge assigned to the case. 

So will SCOTUS shift the power of federal agencies regulatory abilities to themselves, the courts? 

The intent of Chevron  was to limit judges attempting to legislate from the bench.  The Roberts Court appears ready to undermine that.  The court’s ruling could have ripple effects across the federal government, where agencies frequently use highly trained experts to interpret and implement federal laws.  But somehow we are to believe that judges are inadequate replacement for such decisions?

Justice Kagan cited as one example a hypothetical bill to regulate artificial intelligence.  So it would want people “who actually know about AI and are accountable to the political process to make decisions” about artificial intelligence. Courts, she emphasized, “don’t even know what the questions are about AI,” much less the answers"

Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson emphasized that Chevron allows Congress to delegate policy choices to executive agencies and voiced concerns that “if we take away something like Chevron, the court will then suddenly become a policymaker"

Let that sink in, a body that is not elected by the people, for life will make policy decisions.  That's a hard no for me.

Willow,   A critic could argue that the doctrine can lead to government overreach and burdensome regulations that adversely affect industries, making it challenging for them to operate profitably, due to rising regulation costs.  The concern is perhaps rooted in the idea that executive agencies might exceed their authority or interpret statutes in a way that goes beyond what was intended by Congress.

Chevron doctrine may contend that it gives too much deference to administrative agencies, allowing them to interpret laws broadly and create regulations that have significant economic impacts on communities. One could argue for a more restrictive approach, where courts play a more active role in interpreting statutes and overseeing regulatory actions to ensure they align closely with legislative intent.

I can see your point that the Chevron doctrine might well work to strike a balance by acknowledging the expertise of administrative agencies in implementing complex regulatory frameworks. However,  agencies that have a history of blanketing issues.

As I see it,  the debate around Chevron revolves around the trade-off between granting flexibility to agencies for effective governance and the potential risks of regulatory overreach and economic burdens. A big old circle. I am going to admit, I am up in the air on this one. We need expertise to help with decision-making on many issues. But do we need government agencies?  I suppose courts could hear expertise from experts from the private sector. This is a hard one. You got me thinking, you made some good points.

Shar

You said "A critic could argue that the doctrine can lead to government overreach and burdensome regulations that adversely affect industries, making it challenging for them to operate profitably,"

I would point out that industries have been making great profits the entire time Chevron has been in force.  Why would that change??

I can't believe you, of all people, would want Judges and Justices making policy decisions and diminishing the power of Congress to do the job they were elected for.

While government regulations on businesses are often implemented with good intentions, it's essential to at best consider the potential negative consequences. One of my concerns is the potential burden on small businesses.  Excessive regulations can in some cases lead to increased compliance costs, making it challenging for smaller enterprises to thrive. One could say it's these kinds of businesses that fall through the cracks. This, in turn, may hinder innovation and economic growth for the middle class. So, I have a problem with that. I find the concept of keeping an economic balance very important.

Moreover, stringent regulations may create a barrier to entry for new businesses, limiting competition in the market. Do we seek a rich/poor society?  Reduced competition can result in less incentive for businesses to improve efficiency or provide better services, as they face less pressure to stand out in the marketplace.

Another downside is the bureaucratic complexity that comes with numerous regulations. Businesses may find themselves entangled in red tape, diverting resources away from core operations to navigate and comply with complex regulatory frameworks.  This bureaucratic burden can be especially challenging for startups and entrepreneurs.

Additionally, overregulation may stifle entrepreneurial spirit and risk-taking. When businesses are overly constrained by rules, they may become risk-averse, hindering the development of innovative solutions and impeding overall economic dynamism.

I am sort of on the fence on this one. I think there is good and bad.

Another thought, does our Congress not blanket issues, and many end up under a blanket that could smother their business?

This is a hard one...

But again, for as long as Chevron has run, small businesses in America have not suffered as a result.  Why should it begin now?

Businesses, small or large have been hurt periodically, but not because of over regulation (with exceptions, of course). They have only been hurt by things like:

- the oil embargo during the Nixon - Ford administrations,

- the stagflation and recession at the beginning of Reagan's term

- the recession at the end of Reagan's term and the beginning of Bush I's term

- the recession at the end of Clinton's longest economic expansion up to that point in American history and the beginning of Bush II's term.

- the Republican 2008 almost Depression,

- the Covid recession at the end of Trump's term.

Not once did the Chevron precedent hurt small business.

I think the Court should simply find this particular regulation unreasonable,  which Chevron provides for, and let it go at that.

"does our Congress not blanket issues," - not sure what that means.

I think one needs to go back to the fundamental reasons regulations exist - stop or minimize the hurt one entity can do to another.  For example, regulations against discrimination.  Regulations to keep the free market system free. (A truly free market will devolve into monopoly and oligopoly.

In this case I am guessing that the fishermen have overfished which deprive others of an income.  Had this not been the case, then there would have been no reason to put human monitors on board ship.  To me, that is reasonable.  What I find unreasonable is making the fishermen pay for it.

2. My Esoteric profile image87
    My Esotericposted 3 months ago

After this vote, I am firmly convinced that Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, Neil Gorsuch, and Brett Kavanaugh would NOT have ratified the Constitution had they been given the chance.

This was an easy decision to side with the federal gov't over Texas' move to replace the federal gov't's authority with its own regarding the national border.  Greg Abbott, Texas governor, in my opinion, attempted to secede from the Union.

"Steve Vladeck, CNN Supreme Court analyst and professor at the University of Texas School of Law, said that while the order is a victory for the Biden administration, the delay in issuing it raises future questions.

“Whatever one thinks of current immigration policy, it ought not to be that controversial that states cannot prevent the federal government from enforcing federal law – lest we set the stage for Democratic-led states to similarly attempt to frustrate the enforcement of federal policies by Republican presidents,” Vladeck said. “That four justices would still have left the lower-court injunction in place will be taken, rightly or wrongly, as a sign that some of those longstanding principles of constitutional federalism might be in a degree of flux.”

MAGA has gotten one step closer to dissolving the Union.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/22/politics … index.html

3. My Esoteric profile image87
    My Esotericposted 2 months ago

It looks like (although one can never tell) the Supreme Court will not take the big government stance Conservatives want by allowing Texas and Florida to do away with the 1st Amendment rights of social media platforms and many other things by logical extension.

https://apnews.com/article/supreme-cour … 4a5e335545

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)