Obama's Foreign Policy An Embarassment?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (42 posts)
  1. lady_love158 profile image60
    lady_love158posted 13 years ago

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/201 … rican.html

Clearly Obama has proven to be a complete incompetent when it comes to foreign policy. He as shown naivete in dealing with our enemies and signaled weakness with every communication! I hope he's at least improved his golf game he'll be playing a lot of it after 2012!

1. John Holden profile image60
      John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Funny, he seems to go down pretty well in Europe!

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
        Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

QUICKKKKKKKKKKKK!  Edit Edit.  Don't say the President goes down on Europe!!!!  yikes

1. Cagsil profile image71
          Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was thinking the same thing. lol lol

I did wonder before I posted it but thought at least it gets away from Obama being totally incompetent or something!

So, some sort of action on Obama's part is at least something versus no action. I get it. lol

2. John Holden profile image60

lol lol lol

3. profile image0
          PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It will be all over Faux News tomorrow, with graphics and comparisons to Hitler.

2. lady_love158 profile image60
        lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

We'll that depends on where in Europe... still his ratings are down slightly from last year and they are abysmal in Turkey!

http://www.dfwtribune.com/dfw-section-e … rope-.html

In any case who cares what Europe thinks... we're the ones that have to deal with his dopey ideas!

Then why this thread?
          Or do you mean that he should inflict America's policies on the rest of the world without the rest of the world having any say in the matter?

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

You do realize that 95% of Americans fail to understand anything on a global level, right? hmm

Yes of course which is why we all rely on your genius to explain it to us.

I don't think so. lol lol

3. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Okay, let's close ALL military bases worldwide, bring home every American citizen, put all the military people to work(so we have some type of workforce that is skilled in some manner) and destroy all schools, except that can turn out military students, and funnel all the money into the Star Wars(Reagan plan), so we can defend ourselves without ever having to leave the North American soil. lol lol

Yeah, that's the ticket. tongue

Well if it's that or military bases on foreign soil without the host nations having any say in the matter, then so be it.

If America's government has to threaten another Nation, because it refuses to allow a US military base, then the American government needs to take a different tact with regards to relations with other countries.

No one wants America to be policing the world, yet American politicians continue to stick their nose in places where it does not belong to begin with.

Foreign policy in America is through threats and intimidation, which isn't productive. It's always said calmly and conservatively, but still conveys the tyrant message. lol

Yes indeed, policing by consent might be acceptable, but this isn't policing by consent.
          Lady love's attitude that it doesn't matter what the world thinks of the USs intervention in its affairs is typically tyrannical and does you no good and does the rest of the world no good either!

4. superwags profile image66
    superwagsposted 13 years ago

It's not a patch on the embarassment caused by the last one.

From our perspective in Europe we just spent hours laughing at the Bush regime and its foreign attitudes!

"The French don't even have a word for entrepreneur" is my particular favourite from the Texan tool, but this is also excellent;

"My trip to Asia begins here in Japan for an important reason. It begins here because for a century and a half now, America and Japan have formed one of the great and enduring alliances of modern times. From that alliance has come an era of peace in the Pacific." -George W. Bush, Tokyo, 2002

5. lady_love158 profile image60
    lady_love158posted 13 years ago

At least Bush led when it came to foreign policy decision. He lobbied world leaders to build consensus to act quickly... Obama sits back and waits for the UN to tell him what he should do... no check that he plays golf and waits! He gas shown a clear lack in leadership both in dealing with crisis around the world and with his own budget! Even democrat senator Manchin criticised him for his lack of leadership on the budget. Obama seems happy to sit back and let congress do all his work! Pathetic!

1. pitzele profile image72
      pitzeleposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, he takes vacations, not plays golf.  But I really think that the best foreign policy is to make sure Americans are taken care of and then worry what the rest of the world is ruining.

No he actually plays golf... not that there's anything wrong with that...

http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2011/03/05/golf-2/

...I just wonder with Libya at war with its own people the middle east uprising every where Iran on the move the tragedy in Japan and the budget battle in need of leadership ... perhaps it sends the wrong message.

2. BillyDRitchie profile image61
        BillyDRitchieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why again is it the President's job to "make sure Americans are taken care of"?

Whatever happened to the notion of taking care of ourselves?

Of course we try to.  But someone in the position of power and influence such as the President has access to resources and monies which few others do.

1. BillyDRitchie profile image61

So it is the President's duty to give us money and resources?  Really?

No, no - it is his duty to see what is best for the country, but the citizens are part of the country.  Allocating federal resources APPROPRIATELY is crucial and I think that effectively helping Americans is a far better use of federal dollars than some of their pork pet projects.

So how much in these Federal funds do you believe each American is entitled to?

(This is usually where folks stop answering questions....)

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
                  Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

$3.52 each

Happy?

2. pitzele profile image72

Actually, I do not have a hard dollar amount.  There are so many factors to take into consideration, such as regional cost of living and the numbers of those on assistance within any given market.  But if I had more time, I could probably come up with a better answer.

Take your time.....

Your statement sounds like nothing more than an excuse for entitlements. hmm

Look, it just ticks me off when I hear about how much money is thrown around and wasted and there are people that I (and you!) see that don't have enough and could use the money.  I have never taken free money from the government and don't intend to ever, but there are those who would sink big time if they do not get a little help and there just are not enough resources privately to do the job.

The "status quo" rules America, which a good portion of Americans fail to realize. It's called "Corporate Protectionism". Government protects corporations. The problem with that is that the corporations continue to not do what is necessary to help people. Not to mention, people have been programmed to depend on government, for things such as SS and medicaid/medicare. These entitlement programs have only perpetuated the myth that government is needed for more than domestic and foreign threat protection.

It's sad. hmm

Edit: However, let's not get too far off the topic at hand, which is about "foreign policy" and not domestic policy.

Foreign policy?  Ok, where does a 500 pound gorilla sit?  The EU is highly ineffective in managing their own, China is the real place to be worried about, but how much "brown-nosing"  can you do when we owe them trillions?

Yes, foreign policy is the TITLE of the thread.
                    With the TOP 1% of wealth creators. lol
                    And, that specifically is why things need to change HERE in America, before things are beyond repair. wink

6. pitzele profile image72
    pitzeleposted 13 years ago

You are correct that it sends the wrong message, however, I have come to the point where the different actions of the individuals within the government (and the government as a whole) have become so ridiculous and short-sighted (can you say self-serving?), that I follow the news occasionally, but take it all with a grain of salt.  I know someone who is so idealistic that he would like to run for local office with an eye towards bigger things because he wants to find a way to change the corruption and ignorance.  But what can I say - if I ever see an upper level government official who is trying to use their position to attempt to stop the corruption and help all Americans (as opposed to themselves)then perhaps I will actually register to vote!

7. AnnCee profile image68
    AnnCeeposted 13 years ago

Good heavens!

Quote from the OP: 

"For the first time in my life, I'm embarrassed to be an American.

Last weekend, as tens of thousands of Japanese were fighting for their lives after an 8.9 earthquake devastated their nation, our President, after giving a generic "We're with you" statement, remained noticeably absent.

Not really absent -- Obama could be found on the golf course Saturday afternoon.

As a Japanese nuclear reactor melted down and threatened a catastrophe of biblical proportions, Obama was otherwise engaged Saturday night, having a rollicking good time at Washington D.C.'s annual Gridiron Dinner. Joking with journalists.

There is something quite shameful about watching our President attending a dress-up dinner, trolling for laughs, as one of America's allies struggles for life. I'm embarrassed for America, and I send my personal apologies to the Japanese people for the insensitivity of our President."

http://hillbuzz.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/20110315-065207.jpg

Yes, why wasn't he there in his little boiler suit digging people out of the wreckage and pouring water on the power station?

And, what precisely would you like him to do? Stop living his life and go interfere in Japan, when Japan was already taking care of the problem. roll

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)