Ron Paul's response to the debt deal....

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (9 posts)
  1. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 12 years ago

...this guy is a truly non-partisan, clear thinking, fiscally responsible citizen of the United States of America

August 1, 2011

ALEXANDRIA, Virginia - Today, 2012 Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul issued a statement outlining his opposition to the debt ceiling deal struck between the White House and Congress. See statement below.

"While it is good to see serious debate about our debt crisis, I cannot support the reported deal on raising the nation's debt ceiling.  I have never voted to raise the debt ceiling, and I never will.

"This deal will reportedly cut spending by only slightly over $900 billion over 10 years.  But we will have a $1.6 trillion deficit after this year alone, meaning those meager cuts will do nothing to solve our unsustainable spending problem.

"In fact, this bill will never balance the budget.  Instead, it will add untold trillions of dollars to our deficit.  This also assumes the cuts are real cuts and not the same old Washington smoke and mirrors game of spending less than originally projected so you can claim the difference as a ‘cut.'

"The plan also calls for the formation of a deficit commission, which will accomplish nothing outside of providing Congress and the White House with another way to abdicate responsibility.

"In my many years of public service, there have been commissions on everything from Social Security to energy policy, yet not one solution has been produced out of these commissions.

"By denying members the ability to offer amendments and only allowing an up-or-down vote that will take place in the hectic time between Thanksgiving and Christmas, this Commission essentially disenfranchises the vast majority of members from meaningfully participating in the debate over reducing spending and balancing the budget.

"Furthermore, despite the claims of the bill's proponents, there is nothing to stop the commission from recommending tax increases.

"One of the reasons why I humbly suggest that I am the most qualified Presidential candidate is my experience to see and understand the long track record of failure, disappointments, and bad recommendations made by such commissions.

"Times like these require statesmanship and steady leadership, which I and the grassroots activists who have joined my campaign believe I am uniquely qualified to provide.

"What should bother Americans most is that under cover of this debt ceiling circus, we learned from a recent GAO one-time, limited audit that the Federal Reserve secretly pumped $16 trillion into American and foreign banks over three years.  All of the Fed's fat cat cronies were taken care of at the expense of the American public.

"To put that into perspective, our entire national debt is $14.5 trillion, and our annual deficit will be about $1.6 trillion, meaning the Federal Reserve created and appropriated more than our entire national debt to banks around the world in a few short years.  We have been fighting in Congress these past few weeks over raising our debt ceiling by $2 trillion, an amount the Fed secretly gave away to just one big bank.

"For decades, politicians have promised future restraint in exchange for hikes in the debt limit.  We are always told that we must act immediately to avoid a crisis.  But time and time again, politicians reveal themselves to be untrustworthy, and we soon find ourselves in a crisis being led by the same folks who wish only to maintain the status quo.

"I believe in the great American traditions of free markets, sound money, and personal Liberty.  But we are moving far away from what made us the greatest nation in human history. We must cut spending and balance our budget now, before it is too late.

"Let me be clear.  The cuts we must make will not be easy, and there will be difficult times in the short run.  But I have the greatest confidence that if we come together as a People, work hard, and do the right things, our country will be back on track in no time and on its way to unprecedented prosperity.  But, if we continue to print money and pyramid debt, we will destroy ourselves and lose the promise of America forever.

"These difficult times require a President willing to stand against runaway spending.  If elected, I will veto any spending bill that contributes to an unbalanced budget, and I will balance the budget in the first year of my term.  I will not allow the Federal Reserve to destroy the value of our money by shoveling dollars into the pockets of its banker friends.

"I remain committed to working on behalf of the American people to drastically reduce spending and implement fundamental changes that will reform government and restore our nation's prosperity."

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just got done reading this in my e-mail.

Ron Paul 2012.

2. Doug Hughes profile image61
      Doug Hughesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There's a lot of ignorance about what the debt ceiling is and does. The crisis we are in was entirely manufactured by the Tea Party for extortion. Terrorism.

The debt ceiling is the credit limit. We have to raise the ceiling (or increase income) JUST TO PAY OUR OBLIGATIONS.

If you need to borrow to pay the mortgage or keep the electricity on, you do. If you don't borrow the money you default. They turn off the electricity and evict you.

Defaulting on the national debt would have catastrophic results, which is why the House passed a compromise bill to maintain our ability to PAY OUR DEBTS.

Democrats do not advocate permanent deficit spending. Remember, there was a budget SURPLUS under President Clinton which the republicans gave away with tax cuts.

The House has rejected plans to increase revenue by closing tax loopholes. Shared sacrifice means the richest 2% will have to PAY their share. It means oil companies will have to give up subsidies (corporate welfare). Balancing the budget will require a balanced approach.

Teabaggers don't do balanced. Vote them out in 2012. No terrorists in Congress!

You're off your rocker. If you actually think that the Tea Party generated the Debt Ceiling crisis for extortion, then I'd ask you where the Tea Party was 3 decades ago when the debt was increasing.

1. Doug Hughes profile image61

The debt ceiling has been raised 74 times since 1962 including 18 times under Reagan who tripped the national debt in what was pure Keyesian economics that produced an economic recovery.

Never in the 74 times the debt ceiling has been raised has either party questioned the full faith and credit of the US.

This was a hostage situation where the Teabaggers , holding the US economy hostage, demanded not a vote, but a two-thirds outcome of a vote by the Senate on a constitutional amendment.

Oh, why look at that! The debt ceiling has been pushed up a gazzillion times since 1962?

Well, let's look at what that did to the money supply:

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5338977_f248.jpg

and

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5338979_f248.jpg

Oh, and if you think that "the government being allowed to spend as much money as it wants" and the money supply aren't connected, then I have some ocean front property to see you in Montana. It's beautiful.

... OH! And look at this strange graph I just "happened" to come across regarding the 70s.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5338991_f248.jpg

The debt ceiling ran rampant since 1962? And then we had to give up on a gold standard? and then gold shot up to 2,000% (then leveled out at half that value)?

-----------

The lesson of the story: sure the debt ceiling will be raised. Sure they'll play games with it. But this is serious stuff.

Buy silver and gold - they can't print that out of thin air.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60

I'd also like to point out the way that you've redefined "terrorist" to mean "that which you disagree with".

Remember that anyone in government could (and does) easily do the same thing.

Too bad Obama signed the Patriot Act extension.

1. Doug Hughes profile image61

I redefined terrorist to include demanding the outcome of a legislative vote under duress.

So, the founding fathers were terrorists?
            So was Abraham Lincoln, you say?
            AND FDR?

Intriguing. I just hope that the people with the military don't redefine the word as carelessly as you have.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)