Michele Bachmann provides another great comedic moment

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (29 posts)
  1. I am DB Cooper profile image64
    I am DB Cooperposted 12 years ago

Is there any Republican presidential candidate more entertaining that Michele Bachmann? Sure, there's Herman Cain and his new-affair-every-week-or-your-money-back policy. And then there's Newt Gingrich and his constant stuttering while trying to spit out the phrase "sanctity of marriage", but I think Bachmann takes the cake.

While talking to supporters in Iowa yesterday, Bachmann remarked that if she was in the White House, the U.S. embassy in Iran would be closed. Good for her for supporting such a sensible policy to cut relations with a country ruled by a tyrannical despot. In fact, it's such a sensible policy it's already been in place for over 30 years. The United States has not had an embassy in Iran since 1980.

This is not some odd piece of trivia that Bachmann has flubbed -- it's a fundamental part of our current situation with the middle east. The Islamic Revolution in 1979 led to the overthrow of the Shah and then the Iran hostage crisis which led to the United States backing Iraq (and Saddam Hussein) in their fight against Iran. Our relations with the entire middle east and our situation with the Taliban in Afghanistan all tie back to the events that led to us cutting relations with Iran three decades ago. To not know, in 2011, that the United States does not have diplomatic relations with Iran is a sign of both willful ignorance and a dangerous lack of knowledge of recent world history.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bachmann IS an idiot, but the biggest flub with Iran is that Obama is launching sanctions against them.

Expect another war.

1. I am DB Cooper profile image64
        I am DB Cooperposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would think Iran would be used to sanctions from us by now. Without those sanctions we would have no relations with Iran at all.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Eh, maybe she's talking about the "virtual embassy" that the Obama Administration put in place a few weeks ago?  At least that's what I found online.  Yep, I'm "ignorant" of a lot of this stuff too, just as perhaps you are?   The O does indeed do things underhandedly quite often.

And the more that the liberals mock Bachmann, the more credibility she gains.  The woman has common sense and integrity.   
      By the way, she's also allowed a few gaffes, just like Obama has been allowed (Well, his Administration's been given more than their share of leniency, actually).  But I reckon some people conveniently ignore that fact.

1. profile image0
        icountthetimesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

She doesn't need the votes of liberals. She needs the votes of moderates. They think she's extreme too, hence she has zero chance of gaining the nomination. It's as simple as that really. She's driven by a very strong religious ideology. The USA isn't a theocracy, as most voters appreciate.

1. profile image0

Oh yeah...the "moderates"....those people who refuse to call right right and wrong wrong and don't want anyone else to either.....you mean those?

1. livelonger profile image87
            livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't be so hard on yourself, Brenda.

1. profile image0

What does that mean?
              I said nothing about myself.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
                Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

....those people who refuse to call right right and wrong wrong and don't want anyone else to either....

2. Pcunix profile image90
                Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

:-)

A little birdie just flew right over your head, Brenda :-)

1. profile image0

Don't worry, I saw the vulture.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=48104

And a carp.

Nipping at the sherry again?

2. profile image0

I think if Palin had played her cards right, she could've been a much more popular political figure. She's of course done well out  personally though. She has likeability. Bachmann really doesn't.

1. profile image0

On the contrary, she's very likeable!   And even more professional-minded than Palin, although I liked Palin too.  Bachmann's stronger and a fiercer fighter.  America needs that, especially right now.  Obama's not anywhere near as gutsy as her.  Nor as right about...anything.

1. profile image0

I would agree that she is more professional and capable than Palin. I can certainly see why she would hold appeal in certain states and be able to govern well. I just think her views don't really fit in well with governing the nation. I would imagine that Gingrich or Romney will get to lead the Republicans into the 2012 election. Gingrich seems to be favored right now, but I wouldn't rule out Romney. It's detable whether he actually believes anything (since he flip flops so much), but it seems to be all about the floating voters and he does seem to hold some appeal with them.  Time will tell. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out smile.

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Scary to think that Bachmann is a tax lawyer. Very scary!

3. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 12 years ago

She's the gift that keeps on giving.

4. Ron Montgomery profile image59
    Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years ago

Ron Paul is pretty damned funny as well.

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That poor individual needs a good tailor.  No seriously.  A PR person to let him know he makes a poor visual impression.  Nothing personal against him.

5. thebigbagblog profile image58
    thebigbagblogposted 12 years ago

DB- That is a tough question!

6. ShawnB2011 profile image60
    ShawnB2011posted 12 years ago

They are ALL idiots in my book! lol!

7. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

My doctor asked me how much I drink. I told her that nobody would get rich even if they sold me a lifetime supply.  In fact, I bet most liquor stores wouldn't even want to deliver that small an order.

I have liquor  bottles here that are 40 years old and barely touched.

1. profile image0

Good for you.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image59

Please send them over.  I will be happy to touch them.

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Heck, no.  These things are already antiques.  I envision an ebay fortune in another 20 years..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)