jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

Should we still celebrating Christmas this year?

1. Jason Lim profile image61
    Jason Limposted 5 years ago

So much woe has befallen the world this year. Australia had nearly half their country flooded, Thailand has their own floor problems going on, and the Phillippines just got hit by a fatal torrent of flood waters. Add to that the nuclear fallout in Japan and the Euro crisis and there is hardly cause for celebration anywhere.

1. paradigmsearch profile image85
      paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Christmas is a time of happiness and goodwill. God knows we all need more of that. smile

1. lorenmurcia profile image87
        lorenmurciaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Just look on the positive side. The celebration of Christmas shouldn't be hindered by these calamitous events. Hope the new year will bring us more luck.

Merry Christmas!

2. habee profile image89
        habeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree!

2. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Jason, what do any of those things have to do with celebrating Christmas?  Unfortunately, the world will always have drama, it's just a fact of life.

2. Cagsil profile image61
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Are YOU not still alive? hmm

1. lobobrandon profile image84
      lobobrandonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

+1 lol

3. Jason Lim profile image61
    Jason Limposted 5 years ago

That is true, but I can't agree with myself having a splendid good time and stuffing my face with food when there are so many people out there not able to do so. I guess it's just me though.

1. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You don't have to feel guilty because bad things happen in the world, there is also good that happens and we have much to be thankful for.   Celebrate your life, enjoy the gifts that you have been given and play the hand you've been dealt as best you can.  That's all any of us can do.  Merry Christmas Jason.  smile  If you want to make things better, you can do what my girls and I do. We donate to the local food bank, help out at the soup kitchen, and do community service.  You don't just celebrate by "having a splendid good time and stuffing your face with food" you can give the gift of yourself and your time to help others.  That is what Christmas is really all about.  It's not what you get, it's what you give to others.

2. autumn18 profile image67
      autumn18posted 5 years ago in reply to this

While I admire your empathy for those that suffer in this world, I'd have to wonder if you could ever celebrate anything ever? There is always suffering, abuse, horrid things going on. I'd say do what you can like donate blood for disaster relief, give some to charities, work at a food bank, etc. But still celebrate the positive times in your life with friends and family.

working