- Gender and Relationships»
- Relationship Problems & Advice
Dealing With Jealousy
Jealousy is a natural part of an intimate relationship, work
relationships, friendships, even in the family and in any human
It is not a pleasurable emotion and it often leaves the person feeling it with emotional and physical stress.
The feeling of jealousy cuts communication in a relationship. It kills self esteem and elevates feelings of insecurity. Jealousy gives no room for freedom and fun in a relationship and it does not make room for new things to be learnt.
Dealing with Jealousy is very challenging and it takes effort and counseling to overcome it.
I have put together five tips that can help you overcome Jealousy.
- Understand that you are jealous: confess to your partner about how you feel when you see them with others. Making them understand how you feel can make them control how far they go with others.
- Know why you are jealous: understand your feeling. Accept it that you are mad at the sight of your partner in the company of others. Know your beliefs and what gets on your nerves.
- Overcome your thoughts and feelings:distinguish between the truth and your feelings. Let the truth stand, do not allow your feelings overshadow the truth.
- Avoid situations that trigger your actions: If you can, stay away from places that you know your partner likes to visit and what they are likely to do when they get there. Bear in mind freedom is one of the basic elements that sustains relationship.
- Trust: Trust your partner. "People who choose to trust tend to be happier, better liked by others, and more ethical than less trusting people." Joy Cagil
- Communication:Talk with your partner about how you feel. Let them know what you would have them do to make you happy.
- Remind yourself of those positive qualities your partner has. Fill yourself with positive thoughts about your partner.