Five ways adults address each other as "Baby"; see where you fit in
The Word Baby Is Used Everyday
Have you ever called someone "Baby" that was not a baby?
Your friend, girlfriend, boyfriend or spouse may have addressed you as “baby.” Baby is used as a term of endearment, and can be used in many different circumstances. The many ways we use baby is interesting, to say the least. Baby is a word used on a daily basis. Songs are made using the word baby. James Brown sang, "I Got The Feelin'," and emphasized the word baby in the song. When the term baby is used other than addressing a newborn, some people raise their eyebrows, while others gladly accept this everyday term. Have you ever addressed anyone as baby; why and how? Let’s dive into the discussion, and find out more about this fascinating term of endearment.
1. Man Solicits Woman. Often you will hear men say, “Hey baby, what is your name.” The male is usually flirting with the woman trying to get her attention by calling her baby. Now we know that the lady is no baby in reality – it is a means of communicating with the lady. I have heard women protest to being addressed as baby; a common response amongst younger women would be – “I’m not your baby, so don’t call me that.” The girl, in essence, is saying, I am not interested, and go away.
2. Spouse Addresses Spouse. Has your husband or wife ever said, “Come here baby,” or “Baby you know I love you?” Both these sayings are meant to sound sweet and sentimental. The term baby here refers to someone who belongs to you; someone who needs care and affection, and gives love and affection. Use baby to bring excitement into your relationship or to calm things down.
3. Famous People Address Each Other. Whoopi Goldberg addresses her Co-hosts on ABC show, The View, quite often, using the term baby. The panel on the The View is all women. If my memory serves me correctly, Whoopi addresses most everyone she communicates with as baby. She uses baby very distinctly; and in her case baby is not necessarily meant to be endearing. Whoopi expresses baby as an ending, or finale, to the person she is speaking to. Instead of saying the person’s name, baby is used – for example, “No, baby.”
4. Girlfriends Say “Baby”; Male Friends say “Dog.” I have heard girlfriends address each other as baby - out of affection. Girlfriends have strong bonds, and some will use the term baby, while others will never use the term baby. Most men will not use the term baby to their male friend; they use the term dog. Randy Jackson, on American Idol uses the term, “Dog” quite often as a judge of the show. In most cases, Randy is showing accepting or positive feelings to the men and women he addresses as dog.
5. Baby Is Used As An Introduction - Salutation. It is used at the beginning of a question, “Baby, today want to…………? Baby is also used as a closing salutation - “Talk to you later, Baby.” Baby is used as a lead into something, it breaks the ice, and it draws attention to the topic at hand.
Godfather of Soul Used "Baby"
James Brown, the deceased, Godfather of Soul, sang a song using the word baby titled, I Got the Feelin’. In this song, he uses the word and phrase “baby,” “baby,” “baby, baby, baby,” 32 times. Depending on the mood and crowd he could very well use the word “baby” fifty times or more before the song was done. James Brown sang with such emotion and feeling, that every time he hit the note saying “baby,” you felt it hit you all over. Listen to the video and you will understand what I am talking about. In the song, I Got the Feelin’, he was referring to a female, perhaps, someone he loved, and when you love someone, you feel it all over down to your bones. Even as James Brown moved across the floor, he was demonstrating the feeling he had on the inside about his baby.
Finally. Baby is a word that you decide how to express. Use the term to fit the occasion and never to offend. You could strike a nerve or you could lift a spirit. How do you use “Baby?”
You Might Also Be Interested In These Hubs
- 7 Most Valuable Relationships Prioritized
God and Finances Two of the most important factors in operating a healthy family is having God in it, and strong financial planning. Budgeting is ever so critical to keep and maintain a household. You have the main money earner – head of...
- 10 Characteristics Of a Passionate Person
Characteristics of a passionate person. Passion is having strong emotions about something. Passion is something that you have on the inside of you that motivates you to go a step further. Passion drives you beyond the imagination.