jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why do you think interracial relationships continue to carry stigma?

1. Sassypoetic profile image60
    Sassypoeticposted 7 years ago

Why do you think interracial relationships continue to carry stigma?

2. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image95
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 7 years ago

My husband and I married in 1996, and he is of mixed race; and, yes, we've had negative reactions from some people, including people who I'd never previously have thought were racists. 

That's the easy answer, really:  the stigma continues because many people are more racist than they themselves even imagine.

3. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 7 years ago

The prejudice is going; however, it will probably be another couple of generations yet to educate it out of society.

4. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

Sadly, it still does...however, the degree of the stigma seems to depend a lot on geographical location, etc. Obviously if you're around racist people it will always be an issue, but I have noticed that in some parts of the US (I can't speak for other countries) there is a very definite stigma on both interracial relationships and the children of those relationships. Here in Wyoming, a very large percentage of marriages are between Mexican and white, African American and white, or First Nations and white couples and just about everyone is part something else. While there are racists here just like anywhere, there are a lot of us who've realized that it's just plain silly to make judgments based on the color of someone's skin...especially when most of us had parents, grandparents, etc. whose skin was a different color from ours. That said, I'd have to agree with Adele that you never know where racism will rear its ugly head, especially if you're not part of or very close to someone who is part of the minority.

working