jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is it ok to still give happy birthday wishes to your ex even when you are in a c

1. qtkeeks profile image54
    qtkeeksposted 7 years ago

Is it ok to still give happy birthday wishes to your ex even when you are in a current serious...

2. davidseeger profile image59
    davidseegerposted 7 years ago

I your ex in a serious relationship that might be compromised by your happy birthday message? If not, it is, to my mind, never wrong to wish someone well.

3. socialworker24 profile image56
    socialworker24posted 7 years ago

it depends on how strong your relationships...but it also makes me think you still might have feelings for your ex...so i guess its up to and how you want this birthday message to mean...

4. FduToit profile image68
    FduToitposted 7 years ago

I don't see why it won't be ok. I am divorced but I still care about my ex. She is the mother of my children and I do want her to be happy. By wishing her a happy birthday I am in no way implying that I want to have a relationship with her again. I don't.

I am not in a serious relationship at the moment. Lol, I don't even have a girlfriend right now. But, if I was in a serious relationship it would not be with someone that objects to me wishing my ex a happy birthday.

5. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

Obviously I can't speak for your situation, but in my own situation there's never been a problem with me wishing him happy birthday, or he wishing me the same. I am remarried now and he will be in a couple of weeks, but we still see each other a couple of times a month to switch off our son for visitation, and there's certainly nothing inappropriate in being friendly and offering a "Happy birthday" or other such good wishes. We've both definitely gone our separate ways and have nothing to do with each other except where our son is concerned, but having had a failed relationship together doesn't mean that the only appropriate interaction is to be bitter, mean, or impolite. In fact, little niceties like happy birthday wishes help us continue getting along, which in turn benefits our son because he doesn't have to deal with underlying tension and other such issues so common in divorce.

6. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 7 years ago

I agree with davidseeger.  Wishing someone well is a kind thing to do.  If the ex has a new relationship, a general card would be nice and hopefully not threatening to the ex.

Having said that, some people are really insecure with regard to ex's. so tread carefully here.