jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Do you overanalyze things, or do you take them for what they appear to be?

1. TheBlondie profile image61
    TheBlondieposted 6 years ago

Do you overanalyze things, or do you take them for what they appear to be?

I know a lot of people think about something someone said to them, or something they did, until it turns into something completely differnt. Do you do this, or do you just accept it for what it is?

2. Dave Mathews profile image59
    Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago

I always try to see things in their simplest way possible.

3. ChristineVianello profile image60
    ChristineVianelloposted 6 years ago

I do overanalys things alot! My fiance hates when I do that. He somethimes says things that are completly different then what I think he is saying.

4. ravenlt04 profile image65
    ravenlt04posted 6 years ago

If we did a study, I bet we'd find more women analyze and think too much about things, especially if they involve emotions;relationships.  I have found myself wondering what friends or past boyfriends really meant when they made particular statements.  I am notorious for trying to read between the lines, especially when I don't think the person revealed enough or answered a question as indepth as I would have liked them to.  I will question people and keep questioning them usually, though, as opposed to assuming what was meant.

5. Ashantina profile image61
    Ashantinaposted 6 years ago

I do overanalyse..... because assumptions are dangerous. But again, depends on what "it" is.

6. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I overanalyze everthing--and at times it can be a problem.

7. ujeni profile image54
    ujeniposted 6 years ago

if you are a thinker, it is easy to overanalyse and generalise because the information available to us is never in itself complete but only a part of the whole, so its a natural attempt by the brain to make sense of the world around us. it is equally just as easy to end up with a distorted perception which would prove to be a vicious cycle especially when we dont have the facts and we make up assumptions, presumptions leading to prejudices and distortion of thought....therefore...analysing and more analysing until one's brain is driven insane and then our behaviour becomes irrational and not in line with the expected norm.

Therefore, in response, I tend to get a balance, keeping tabs...getting a little focused and be a little systematic, bearing in mind thought that sometimes there are things not worth analysing, but others demand an attempt of it, even if just a little. Taking things at face value - well, depending on your character and the other person's character and motivations or biases...i'd say tread carefully.

Self-serving biases and motivations in Psychology studies can be interesting (e.g. actor/observer effect as well as fundamental attribution errors). See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWTCXDCVvc

8. profile image0
    Dandraposted 6 years ago

Things in the world are never as they appear. I analyse a little and then tune out because I have a goal and an agenda.

9. Maxine Lee profile image63
    Maxine Leeposted 6 years ago

I tend not to over-analyze things - I have too much to do and think about to have the time to.

I think in simple terms which tends to take the fear out of doing, or at least trying to do, anything.

working