jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What does it mean when your boyfriend needs space?

1. profile image49
    agnes83posted 6 years ago

What does it mean when your boyfriend needs space?

2. Allen Williams profile image83
    Allen Williamsposted 6 years ago

I never used the term but from my understanding it means that you are crowding me and I really want to look for someone else.  I don't want to break up yet because if I fail at finding someone else, I will be back to you so I have someone.

Frankly, I think it is a piss poor excuse to give anyone when you are clearly looking for someone else.  I say dump him cold until he knows what he wants.  Don't waste your time on someone that is going to play you like that.

3. profile image49
    agnes83posted 6 years ago

you think so? you not think it could save a relationship to see how much they love each other?

4. arksys profile image89
    arksysposted 6 years ago

I think i would have to agree with Allen on this one. "dump him cold"

if he needs space now ... he will need it again and again ... and again, in the future. seems like you love him more than he loves you. not a good situation to be in.

5. point2make profile image82
    point2makeposted 6 years ago

It means he is bored with  you and he wants to "look" around.  You need to move on. This guy may still be around physically.....but he's already left! It's time to look after yourself and give this bozo his "space".

6. yusefblack profile image60
    yusefblackposted 6 years ago

Some guys need to be chasing the woman, craving her attention, so if they come to a point where they take her love for granted they forget how much they actually do love her... And think to move on

7. thebeast02 profile image85
    thebeast02posted 6 years ago

Speaking from a guy's perspective, unfortunately I agree with arksys and Allen. Generally this means they are wanting to, or already are looking elsewhere. He is using you as a crutch and a backup plan, in case his new endeavors don't work out.

8. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

He wants to the opportunity to (explore) other "options".
    This may be more free time to spend with his friends or pursuing new relationships. Either way you'd be a fool to put your life on "hold" waiting for the phone to ring. Wanting "space" or having a "trial separation" are usually code words for a breakup. If you were "the one" he'd want to spend more time with you and not less time.
    It would not surpise me if you started  dating someone new he'd suddendly have a change of heart and try to take up (your free time). A lot of men believe "Once I've been there I can always can get back in". Hearing about you being with a new guy will make him wonder if he made a mistake. (Of course he didn't because if he didn't see you as being "the one" it's impossible for him to have been "the one" for you!) Soul-mates means both people mutually value each other as being "the one."

working