jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Is there a polite way to refuse a gift?

1. CeeGunn profile image85
    CeeGunnposted 6 years ago

Is there a polite way to refuse a gift?

2. terrektwo profile image84
    terrektwoposted 6 years ago

Not really, any way it goes it depends on how sensitive the giver is I would say.

3. faria_lupin profile image71
    faria_lupinposted 6 years ago

most likely yes but depend on the situation and how important the person is...to you.
    i think you should know better because you know the person very well, if you are asking this question about a particular person as i am guessing....

4. xethonxq profile image64
    xethonxqposted 6 years ago

Well, you can always be polite when you refuse it...that doesn't mean that the other person will accept the polite refusal without hard feelings.

5. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 6 years ago

Be truthful.

It is depending on the purpose of the gift. If it is showering love and you do not like the person then it is better to be straight forward. Do not give him / her the wrong impression otherwise you may be in a hot soup later in life.

I do believe a truthful answer will always be the most polite way.

6. alisha4u profile image38
    alisha4uposted 6 years ago

Ofcourse there is.... However, it depends upon the situation. So, respond accordingly and measure your words before Refusing... In some sitautions, you may try being diplomatic..

7. That Grrl profile image71
    That Grrlposted 6 years ago

It would depend on why you were refusing the gift. I'd just be honest and tell them my reasons. You show respect for the gift giver in not playing games or keeping something you really don't want. It gives them the chance to get their money back or at least they will understand why it didn't work out and they will have a better idea of what you would like (even if it is no gift at all).

8. Josh Lakie profile image53
    Josh Lakieposted 6 years ago

I would say that it is never a good idea to refuse a gift. Best thing to do is accept it and then if you really dont like it you can deal with it later by selling it or just getting rid of it. However, it is just common courtesy to accept a gift.