jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Is Polygamy a valid marriage?

1. iantoPF profile image79
    iantoPFposted 5 years ago

Is Polygamy a valid marriage?

The Biblical fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob were polygamous. every culture has had it's polygamous past and Islam today permits more than one wife.
    So the question is; Even though it may be frowned upon, is it still a valid marriage?

2. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 5 years ago

If polygamy is accepted in the society where it occurs, then yes, it is a valid form of marriage.  In a society where polygamy is unacceptable, it can't be viewed as a legitamate form of marrige.

1. iantoPF profile image79
      iantoPFposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That's a good answer as far as it goes but what about the practicalities. What if a Moslem, with 4 wives moves to the USA. Should he choose which 3 to divorce? which children to disinherit? Is it no longer valid because his job relocates him?

2. MickS profile image71
      MickSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

We can go on forever, running around in circles, chasing answers to hypothetical questions every case will have to be worked out on its own merits.  I'm sure that this particular event has come up and has been resolved.

3. LaThing profile image73
    LaThingposted 5 years ago

I think there are others who allow plural marriage other then Islam. The mormons here, in the US, still practices it, althought their church has Abolished it since 1840.... Correct me if I am wrong smile
    I mean, if everyone else has a right then why shouldn't these people have rights too, as long as there are no minors involved!

working