Are people who home school their children over protecting them?

1. krillco profile image94
    krillcoposted 5 years ago

Are people who home school their children over protecting them?

...and does home schooling damage a child's ability to socially 'fit in'?

2. dbroomfi profile image81
    dbroomfiposted 5 years ago

As a public school teacher in an urban city school, I know that the public school system can be dangerous in many ways. I feel that if parents can do better for their child why not. I do not believe it is a matter of over protecting your child when so many negative things are avoided by keeping them at home. I can speak to this also because my mother home schooled me half my grade school years. I must say that I learned better at home because I had one on one attention and because I was taught to be disciplined and to be be an independent learner. Homeschoolers have options for socialization. There are support groups and opportunities for kids to take private classes, play sports and go on field trips,(I speak more about this in my hub Homeschooling: my experience).Socially fitting in these days can be a negative thing. Everything is excepted and everyones opinion is deemed right. Children are being taught to except every fad and idea under the Sun in the public schools. A lot of parents want to have control over what their children our being taught. I see children in the public school arena that fall through the cracks because they need a slower pace or individualized instruction that the system is not able to give them. Parents choosing to homeschool are making the decision to be actively involved in their children's learning. I have seen innocent children that have both parents at home, come to school where some trouble kid says or does something extremely xrated or offensive, traumatizing the innocent kid.
    Kids can get all the fitting in they need, by their parents putiing them in a safe environment to learn without behavioral problems of others constantly disrupting their learning. Furthermore, with all the media reports of random acts of criminal activity occuring in today's school you really can not blame parents who choose to homeschool. Especially when there are some really great curriculum and social choices available.

3. witnessing4HIM profile image58
    witnessing4HIMposted 5 years ago

I honestly do not feel a parent homeschooling their child or children will not overprotect them and make them socially unfit.
    They do not have to worry about the bullies and drugsters nor will they acquire the evil language that is in public schools.

Parents if you are homeschooling your children or child, my blessings to you and make yourself an example to follow for them.

working