jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (22 posts)

Are showing signs of pain (emotional or physical) a sign of weakness, character,

1. Charlu profile image80
    Charluposted 5 years ago

Are showing signs of pain (emotional or physical) a sign of weakness, character, or neither and why?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7111211_f260.jpg

2. kathyjones1952@at profile image60
    kathyjones1952@atposted 5 years ago

Yes!  My sister passed away this passed Friday Morning and my whole family and I are in a lot of shock and grief right now!  She had been sick for a long time, though, and I know she's out of all her pains now!  Her funeral was yesterday!

Charluposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I am so sorry to hear about your sister Kathy and I hope and pray that you and your family are granted peace in knowing that she is now free from pain and able to watch over you all with her deepest love.

2. kathyjones1952@at profile image60
      kathyjones1952@atposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I see I missread your question up there, Charlu.  I'm sorry about that.  I'm very upset right now, anyway.  No, I don't think showing signs of pain is a weakness.  I appreciate your prayers so much!

3. Charlu profile image80

Kathy don't even have a second thought about being sorry, we all understand what a difficult time this is.  Take care and our prayers are with you and your family always.

4. Deborah Brooks profile image78
      Deborah Brooksposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Kathy.. I am so sorry.. I know how you feel.. when my sister died it was an awful time.. I still get upset and its been nine years... God Bless you, you are in my prayers...

3. Leaderofmany profile image61
    Leaderofmanyposted 5 years ago

Showing pain of any kind is not a weakness. Many are taught as young children that it is and I believe that is wrong to do such thing. Emotion is a natural human function. In fact, I believe that it shows more character to be able to sit with someone and cry with them or hold them while they are in pain. I have seen the biggest of men cry at the birth of their child. Is that weakness?

1. kathyjones1952@at profile image60

Jesus wept.

2. Charlu profile image80

I agree with you in reference to young children being taught it is not ok to cry or show other emotions to be honest.  We are all human and our emotions are just part of a natural process which unfortunately to many choose to medicate.

4. WryLilt profile image91
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

Showing pain is a sign that you've been too strong for too long.

5. WritingPrompts profile image74
    WritingPromptsposted 5 years ago

Neither.  Some people show their emotions easier than others.  I think to HAVE emotions means your human.  What you do with them (showing or not) is about your character.  Some people (one ex-husband of mine at least) show their emotions to easily and conveniently - trying to manipulate people by crying at the drop of a hat.  Other people (like my parents) hold it all in until they make themselves sick.  I can't say either extreme is a sign of strength/weakness or "character" (in the sense of you have a good one...)

6. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 5 years ago

I believe it's a sign of being a normal human.

7. Peanutritious profile image61
    Peanutritiousposted 5 years ago

If only it was that simple. Some people seem to think it's strong to never show your feelings. For others that is simply impossible. Those that don't show their feelings are supressing how they feel. Venting how you feel is a release of all that tension. I've always thought 'it's good to talk'. Showing how you feel is not a weakness, it's honesty!

You're so right about if it were only that simple.  I think some of us are programmed  one way or the other most of our lives.

8. profile image0
    danielabramposted 5 years ago

It depends. If you are playing poker, then yes it is a sign of weakness. If you need to be taken to the hospital, then no.

It also depends on how much money I lost playing poker. lol

9. Deborah Brooks profile image78
    Deborah Brooksposted 5 years ago

well if showing pain  and crying is a weakness then i must be a very weak person. I cry all the time.. It is a natural thing to do.. we have to.. we cannot keep emotions bottled up.. it is not good for us..

I appreciate your prayers so much, Deborah!  You don't know how much it means to me!

10. SoundNFury profile image80
    SoundNFuryposted 5 years ago

I think it all depends on the degree to which it is shown and the situation.  There is a time and place for expressing one's feelings, and I don't think showing pain is a bad thing.  It can be therapeutic first of all, and it shows that you have the courage to express your vulnerable side.

BUT it shouldn't be overdone.  If it's excessive, it can seem like weakness and probably is.  If a person complains or whines about everything, it's hard to take them seriously.

11. Beata Stasak profile image83
    Beata Stasakposted 5 years ago

Showing signs of pain just as the showing signs of enjoyment are parts of our normal human responses to different situations. Suppressed feelings due to various cultural and religious restrictions bring just misery and unhappiness...let your feelings through, show how you really feel and see how more free and natural you start to feel....there is nothing unnatural about showing your pain and sorrow, what is unnatural is to pretend you feel something you don't really feel....

Amen!

2. Charlu profile image80

Great answer and how wonderful it would be if we could all try and do just that.

working