jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is promiscuity the new norm?

1. goosee profile image58
    gooseeposted 5 years ago

Is promiscuity the new norm?

2. Lady Guinevere profile image60
    Lady Guinevereposted 5 years ago

New?  I think not.  It's been around since the beginning of time.

3. psychicdog.net profile image79
    psychicdog.netposted 5 years ago

to be able to ask that question seems to suggest it is! But whether it satisfies ones soul - only a loving intimate relationship can do that but I suppose we go through times where we are searching...

4. Brandi Cooper profile image61
    Brandi Cooperposted 5 years ago

I would say it depends on your definition of "promiscuity". The basic definition is just casual sex with multiple partners (such as a one night stand). I wouldn't say that's the "norm" so much as it's something that has been both glorified (in an attempt to empower women, mostly) and shamed (in an attempt to reinforce masculine dominance and/or religious beliefs) in the media in order to gain a certain amount of shock factor.

But if you mean (as my grandparents do) the fact that people have sex within the confines of committed relationships (though they aren't married), then I would say yes, that's most likely the "norm". I wouldn't necessarily say it's "new" however.

The notion of multiple sexual partners has been around in human society since the beginning. Mistresses were commonplace (and far from frowned upon) up until recent centuries (take for example, Madame de Pompadour, the "uncrowned queen of France" and Louis XV's mistress). It was typical for men to have multiple sexual partners and there was nothing wrong with it (the only reason it was frowned upon for women to do so was because it would pollute the family line and tamper with family heirs, etc).

5. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

I would say "serial monogamy" having sex in (one relationship) at a time is more (the norm) than "promiscuity" or having sex with various strangers when the urge strikes.
    Having said that (cheating) like prostitution has been around forever but I would not go as far as to say that is the "new norm". Very few people enter into committed relationships (planning) to cheat on their mate or spouse and very people "expect" their mate or spouse to cheat on them. (Expectations determines what "the norm" is.)
    Generally speaking cheaters look to hold onto all that is (good) in their primary relationship while addressing their other "wants/needs" on the side. They lack the courage to end a relationship before considering seeing another person. Cheating is a cowardly act.

6. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

It depends on what social group you are around. For you're group, it might be considered normal. Not in my group. It's a little shunned. But most groups, a little promiscuity brings out a little flair. It's all about presentation.

working