jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Is it ever ok to decieve or trick someone?

1. windygreen profile image60
    windygreenposted 5 years ago

Is it ever ok to decieve or trick someone?

In what situations, if any, do you feel it is ok to decieve or trick someone?   Do you think that excluding selected information is deception?  Do you think that "stretching the truth" is deception?

2. Tyler Bracken profile image82
    Tyler Brackenposted 5 years ago

April fools day?

I think if the information withheld would have a person make a bad choice for themselves, I think that is wrong. Marketing would be a minefield on this subject!

I guess it is okay if someone is being interrogated, by which I mean verbally suggestive, rather than, "your wife/husband is dead" but that would come under rhetorical questions I guess.

It all comes down to the motivation of the trick I think and its true intention.

1. windygreen profile image60
      windygreenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

thanks for your answer.. I agree Marketing does tie in closely on this subject.

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

Anything you decide to do is first "justified" by you. Therefore I would say the person doing the act (feels it's okay) to do it in order to accomplish (their) goals.
    As for the other person....No likes to be the butt of a joke even if it's a "funny" one and no wants to be made a fool of. We tend to pride ourselves on being a good judge of character and when we learn someone has deceived us we're not only angry with them but we're also angry at ourselves for falling for it. I can't think of anyone who would say it's okay to lie to them or mislead them (unless) you were throwing them a "surprise birthday party" or doing something to benefit them.

4. profile image0
    Rayne123posted 5 years ago

It is never ok to deceive someone.

Deception and a lie are somewhat 2 different things.

A deception is a lie that is manipulative and possibly the deceiver is miserable and lonely.
    a lie could turn to a deception as when you tell a lie you then have to keep lying to cover your first lie and so forth. When done to often it actually becomes the truth to the person telling the lie.

However we have all told little white lies and I know that is a sin not to be forgiven in Gods book. But we all have sinned I guess. When it comes to deceiving you risk the chance of hurting that person along with yourself and everyone involved.

I guess the same goes with a lie which does eventually turn into deception. .

When you continually lie you obviously do not know reality anymore and live in your own little world of confusion and loneliness.Those around you may buy it for a bit but the truth always prevails.

Its like lying, you tell one little lie so you tell another to cover up the first as I previously mentioned than your world is all lies and eventually the truth comes out because you start forgetting what you lied about to begin with.

However if a lie is going to cause any friction between anyone you care about then it is not worth it to begin with.

Do unto others as you want to be treated

working