Do you have an addiction to diet coke, and how have you tried to kick the habit?

1. brakel2 profile image82
    brakel2posted 4 years ago

Do you have an addiction to diet coke, and how have you tried to kick the habit?

Have you been successful?

2. Souther29 profile image78
    Souther29posted 4 years ago

I’ve never been addicted to Diet Coke but have with something very similar – Monster Energy drink. I don’t drink coffee so often used to have a 500 ml can on the way to work. As with any addiction you start to realise it’s bad for you, your teeth, your brain, your body... in fact that is nothing really that good for you in soda’s or fizzy drinks. The problem is that it gets built into your routine so it becomes completely normal... and abnormal not to have it.

Your body actually starts to rely on the caffeine/sugar in the morning so when you don’t have it, you feel even more tired than normal... so then you have one! It’s an evil cycle for sure. The way I tried to kick was to research the drink, see how bad it was which then made my brain kick in telling me... save money by not drinking it and feel healthier.

The first 3 days are tough because your body craves caffeine, but fight through it and then your body is back to normal. I now don't crave it but have the very occasional one as opposed to one every single day.

3. Billie Kelpin profile image87
    Billie Kelpinposted 4 years ago

Oh my goodness. TOTALLY, seriously.  I'm sure people think I need help and I probably do!  I'm sitting with a can by my side right now.  But it has to be in a can!  The cold aluminum is the only way it gets cold enough for me to quench my thirst.  You really don't want to know how many cans a day I drink. They aren't full cans though because I often leave one can somewhere and open another.  Oh, my goodness, I sound really, really bad.  I drink diet Coke in the morning, I drink it during the day.  I get up in the middle of the night and drink it!  People say it can harm your health, but I'm 68 and I've been drinking it since about 28, so at this point it might not matter.  I've tried to give it up.  Nothing else is fizzy enough for me. I've tried what I call "fizzy water" (carbonated water) - that doesn't work.  Even other diet drinks don't work. 
    I'm assuming you might have this addiction as well or be in a relationship with an addict like me.  I only met one other person in my life who drank more Diet Coke than I did, and it was great to meet a "sista".
    My father used to take me to the "filling station" where he worked in the 50s when I was 4 or 5, and I had to wait until he was finished with work.  He'd buy me a Coke from the whirring gigantic red machine, and it comforted me.  My mom and he would go out for a drink at a bar on Sundays.  I was an only child, so I had to sit all by myself and wait for them. They'd buy me a Coke and beer nuts. After my daughter was born, I wanted to lose the weight I had gained and I knew regular Coke would block me from doing that, so that's when I switched to Diet and here I am wishing I had stock in that company!

working