How fast/slow should black males walk in order to avoid being a suspect?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. dianetrotter profile image69
    dianetrotterposted 5 years ago

How fast/slow should black males walk in order to avoid being a suspect?

Black parents have told their boys to "not" run because it will make people think they are running from a crime.  Trayvon Martin was walking slowly, talking on the phone and he was labelled a "suspect."

2. Mary Shadowcrest profile image61
    Mary Shadowcrestposted 5 years ago

How he was walking I doubt had anything to do with Zimmerman being suspicious of him. It was dark outside and there had been a series of break ins in the neighborhood. Trayvon was wearing a hoodie and baggy pants ( not sagging just baggy I believe) which unfortunately is an outfit many adults associate with gangs and other troublemakers. If his hood was up at the time it would have seen even more suspicious. I think it came down to his outfit, he was alone, it was dark, the had been a series of break ins in the neighborhood, and his hood may have been up. Many break ins that occur in middle class neighborhoods are done by older teens so that probably didn't help either.

dianetrotterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi Mary, So you think he should have dressed differently?

2. Mary Shadowcrest profile image61
      Mary Shadowcrestposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm not saying he should have but I do know how you dress changes how people treat you. Especially when you're a young adult or older teen. I know from my own experiences how adults can treat you at that age if you don't look prim and proper.

3. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

I'm actually shocked by your question. You usually post thought provoking questions and really this is just sad. There are so many factors to this why do you even assume it had to do with his race? I would be suspicious of anyone in my neighborhood I didn't know who goes from walking to taking off running through people's yards (this is what was reported of Martin). The fact there had been other crimes in the neighborhood prior to this would make any good neighbor more suspicious of anyone not known.

Peeples I am painfully aware of the suspicion cast on black males when they run...usually from the police.  If you don't do it, that is wonderful!  The issue is real.  If someone were following your child, what would you tell him to do.  No space

2. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It's not just blacks though. It's any teen these days that's in a place he doesn't belong. The issue is no longer just about blacks. Hispanics are treated in the same manner it just doesn't make news. Suspicion should be there if anyone runs frm cops

3. dianetrotter profile image69

I agree that kids shouldn't run from cops.
      Trayvon belonged there as an invited guest - there's no log in procedure
      He was suspicious because he walked slowly.  http://dianetrotter.hubpages.com/hub/Ki … ism-what-i

4. Ericdierker profile image44
    Ericdierkerposted 5 years ago

As private security I worked a beat through the night for a few years. I followed a bunch of young men. The ones that worried me wore sunglasses and hoodies in the dark. I cared more about if they were built like marines, than the color of skin which I could not make out in the dark. Behind someone "shadowing" them is tough at best.

Jesus and Buddha both walked all around. We must assume some of it was in the dark. They did what we call trudged. It really means to walk with purpose. On my street these Jehovah's witnesses walk along really strange. Like they got no purpose. If they were not by twos and carrying their bible and doing it at night I might do some whoop ass on their creepy ass cracka behinds.

Diane my good friend. You do not live down here with us slobs. We are not cool to the rule. Half the time we just survive. And sometimes we turn on a creep ass who is following us and sometimes it ends badly. One time I was fighting with a punk ass biker, we were hard at it, then his darned buddy brought a gun to a fist fight. Then the cops hauled him away. It could have ended badly. I do not remember our races.

Hi Eric, I haven't answered your other post yet because REPLY for some reason didn't come up.  So you say they should walk with purpose.  I think frame of reference comes in here.  How do you explain that to a teenager?

5. Trish89 profile image64
    Trish89posted 5 years ago

This is totally nonsense. We don't know how he was walking first of all, there were no witnesses. And the whole "black person" thing isn't relevant. We don't know if Zimmerman is racist. I honestly think he would have followed the person regardless of what color they were. I think he was labeled suspicious for wearing a dark hoodie with the hoodie covering his face. Wether he was up to no good or not, we will never know.

The question is general.  It is not nonsense to African American families.  This is a common discussion for people that deal with the problem.

6. Maggie Bennett profile image72
    Maggie Bennettposted 5 years ago

I would say paranoia is never a good thing; whether it is real or perceived..  Teaching your children to respect everyone including the police is key.  I have told both my son's how to handle a situation with the police.  What to do if they are pulled over and what to do if the are stopped in the street.  I live in NY and we have a stop and frisk law now in effect.  I do not agree with this law, but it still stands and you must comply or you are in trouble.

You also need to teach you children how to dress for society at large.  Wearing a certain "uniform" whether white or black will alert those around them to take notice.  You may not agree, but we all do stereotype people and not always in a negative way either.

For example, I do not think many people would feel threatened by a bunch of black youths who were wearing their Sunday church clothes.  However many people would be concerned being surrounded by a groups of white thugs with shaved heads and tattoos on their necks and fingers. 

One of my key roles as a mother has been to teach my children about how they will be perceived.  Not doing so is a real disservice to your child. Even so, some people are still only going to see what they are going to  see and that is when trouble happens.

As for how fast a black man should walk.  They should walk normally.  If a police officer stops them they should be respectful.  Never under any circumstance is it a good thing to run from the authorities.  You will be seen as having something to hide. Being paranoid in this situation will get you killed.  Cool heads prevail, and having a cool head comes from being educated about the outcomes.

I hope this makes sense.

I smiled at "Sunday clothes" because so many of my students don't go to church.  I've asked them to wear Sunday/dress clothes for concerts.  they then step out with the hoochie mama clothes.  Most have only sneakers to wear.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)