jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

The war on drugs was a plot to lock up black males? Why more Blacks are in priso

1. vveasey profile image84
    vveaseyposted 14 months ago

The war on drugs was a plot to lock up black males? Why more Blacks are in prison than whites!

BEFORE YOU ANSWER, READ THIS:
    "Look, we understood we couldn't make it illegal to be young or poor or black in the United States, but we could criminalize their common pleasure. We understood that drugs were not the health problem we were making them out to be, but it was such a perfect issue...that we couldn't resist it." – (John Ehrlichman, White House counsel to President Nixon on the rationale of the War on Drugs).

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13331379_f260.jpg

2. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 14 months ago

Before anyone answers this question, I highly recommend watching Ava DuVernay's documentary "13th", which discusses the history of black oppression in America, including our supposed War on Drugs, and the for profit prison system.

3. bradmasterOCcal profile image32
    bradmasterOCcalposted 14 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13009275_f260.jpg

The answer lies in the ghettos of the urban cities.
    If they are not in professional sports, or entertainment, they are in gangs.
    Research the gangs in the US and the 2 million people that are in US jails and prisons. The federal government has reports on the gangs and drugs. Right now they also have gun running and human trafficking in their list of products.
    Of course the real sad things about drugs are the people that use them. Without them the drug cartels would have to find some other product to sell.
    GANGS
    We lost the War on Drugs, and Congress is still responsible.

1. MizBejabbers profile image91
      MizBejabbersposted 14 months agoin reply to this

Maybe the question should be asked, why are they in the ghettos in the first place? Were they herded in like the Native Americans were herded onto reservations? (I can ask because of my Native American ancestors.)

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image32
      bradmasterOCcalposted 14 months agoin reply to this

The immigrants in the turn of the 20th century were all in ghettos, and the government didn't provide them with assistance programs available to blacks. American Blacks have stayed in the cities, ghettos because they get gov assistance.

4. Say Yes To Life profile image79
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 14 months ago

Unless they were planting the drugs on young black men, or arresting them on false charges, I don't see how the war on drugs is an attack on them.

1. MizBejabbers profile image91
      MizBejabbersposted 14 months agoin reply to this

Right, I knew plenty of young white people in my day who used drugs. Whites went to prison, too. These conspiracy theorists, tsk, tsk.

5. Ericdierker profile image58
    Ericdierkerposted 14 months ago

What a great notion, bouncing off that tirelessly referenced quote of a madman. Truly there is better material out there that does not bring me back to the early seventies and the Vietnam Conflict. I thought that young black men were all supposed to die in that war -- shucks I thought that is why we fought it. Let me work on your notion. Well that was well before my 30 something kids were born. Clive, was it before you were born? I think so.
    Why do Black young men do drugs that are illegal? Why do they do them in such a fashion that brings attention to them and gets them arrested? Maybe there nurture nature crap incripts them to act that way?
    Clive whatever the sociological or shrink prescribed reason is. Black dudes get hooked up in crime at an alarming rate. Blaming that on Nixon is two generations removed. Do we say that because a 4th generation black man's great great great grandpa was a slave that he does illegal drugs.
    Clive I just assumed you spent time on the streets. But apparently you are more of a privileged half Black man like Barack. You look at stats but you have never looked down the barrel of a black man's gun. More blacks die by blacks than any other ratio and that includes your statistical prison inmates.
    You have got to get out more. Corner gangs are about 80% black.Get off your butt and do something about that.

working