jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Why do some women (and men) become felon groupies?

1. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 3 years ago

Why do some women (and men) become felon groupies?

A local couple are raising their grandchild after their daughter and only child was convicted of harassing the family of her boyfriend's victim. The boyfriend is serving a life sentence for robbery and murder; and the daughter met him through a pen pal site. The parents say she had pursued a similar romance in HS with the man that assaulted her rival on the cheerleader squad. They also contend their grandchild's father was yet another convict, who got the daughter pregnant between jail stints (and who has subsequently been executed). My question: what makes some women (and men) felon groupies?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9004187_f260.jpg

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

Some people are attracted to the famous and infamous.
    They feel if they can get close to a celebrity or a person of (any) notoriety it will somehow elevate their status in society from being a "nobody". It's the extreme of going after the "bad boy".
    I suppose we shouldn't be that surprised. Most thugs, drug dealers, gangsters, and conmen had no problem finding women when they were out of prison. It's the psychos that fascinate most.
    In some instances these people may in fact believe the criminal is just someone who has been (misunderstood) or was never loved properly. Murderers and serial rapist get marriage proposals in the mail daily. Charles Manson brags about women wanting him!
    Nevertheless it proves my theory:
    "There is someone for everyone!"
    It does not matter what you look like, what you have done, whether you have a job or not, drug addict/alcoholic, homeless, or so on; there is someone out there who would gladly embrace having you for their mate.

bethperryposted 3 years agoin reply to this

dashingscorpio, very insightful - and a little scary, too. I have heard how Manson and Ted Bundy had a bunch of adoring fans; I don't understand it, but you may be very right about the fascination and misplaced sympathy.

3. JohnGreasyGamer profile image84
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 3 years ago

I agree with dashingscorpio for the most part. In fact, many people likely commit crimes to beat the previous one's "record" like [x] amount of kills, robberies or other atrocities (which isn't helped by a lot of journalism almost praising the original felon). Some may follow for the same reason people do bullies; so they won't get attacked, or feel a false sense of protection - after all, why would someone you worship hurt you?

Cults and fanclubs have been made in the past to celebrate felons in the past, perhaps - and this is a long shot - completely missing why they did the crime. Some people might have done it because they thought it was justice as opposed to revenge or the 'right thing to do', whereas the wannabes just do it for the glory.

Some people find entertainment out of following singers, movie stars and authors. Others out of killers, dictators and molesters. It's a weird world we live in.

John, I think there's much truth in your observation!

4. The Examiner-1 profile image75
    The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago

Perhaps it is genetics. It can be carried straight down or skip generations. It is something unpredictable as are the people like that. Meeting is obvious, they notice something alike about each other and are drawn to each other.

Could be bad genes proliferating? Scary thought.

working