Gay's, Marijuana and the old farts making decisions about both/

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Stump Parrish profile image59
    Stump Parrishposted 13 years ago

Let me start this off with a NOTICE...I am posting my personal thoughts on an article I read personally. My opinions may, or may not be based on incomplete research, data and knowledge. This "SCREED" may be a little too "SCREEDY" for some and in my opinion, screed happens, deal with it.

Please be forewarned that this rant might change directions midstream and all I can say is, if you don't like whitewater rafting, either get out of the damned boat, or try walking on water. Remember this folks, you volunteered to climb aboard this dingy and it ain't my fault if half way down the river, you suddenly object to the tour guide you signed on with.

To screed or not to screed, that is the question. Ah screed it, here we go.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11 … erve-harm/

Hmmmm...

This couldn't possibly be another case of those who are elected to serve us, being convinced they know what's best for us regardless of our personal knowledge and experiences, could it? That their decisions actually benefit those who pay them better than we do matters not to the faithful re-electors. The people this ban on gays affects the most have said it's not a problem. Those who know better, actually believe they know better because they think they know better, disagree.

(This is a good point to stop and google the phrase "circular logic" unless your one of it's practitioners. If that's the case you already know what an assinine way to prove a point it is, and also know you will never admit that in public.)

It's not up to the people affected by a decision to have any say in the decisions that affect them because those who own stock in the companies that do profit from these decisions have decided for them, with their blessing and support, amen.

I feel a direction change comin on, hold on folks.

This reminds me of the rediculous war against medicinal medicinal marijuana dont'cha Know? . The majority of Americans are aware of what the benefit to risk ratio is with the consumption of marijuana. Our government still supports the Anslinger mentality that included gems like this..."Reefer makes darkies think they're as good as white men" and "Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality, and death."

The general population plays along and accepts that private prisons are kept so over crowded with pot smokers for profit, states are going bankrupt or prisoners are being released into the public. That they are dying at the current rate of one a week in California alone is seen as a bonus. (personal opinion based on numerous comments soon to be released by wicki-leeks.

Our country as a whole continues to play along and allow our government to arrest hundreds of thousands of citizens for smoking marijuana. Now they have no problem allowing VA patients to smoke marijuana if a doctor orders it and it is legal, The rest of the country has to take the chance that they will die from lack of medical treatment as a punishment for seeking medical help. To take this one step farther remember that our government classifies marijuana as a class 1 drug which is described as such...a category of drugs not considered legitimate for medical use. Among the substances so classified by the Drug Enforcement Agency are mescaline, lysergic acid diethylamide, heroin, and marijuana. Now how does a drug that has no medical benifits suddenly aquire benefits if the paitient served in the miltary and lives in the correct state? To accept that marijuana is only medicinally effective in certian states while remaining as dangerous as herion in the rest is nothing more than ______________. (fill in the blank with the correct profanity)

Notice...for those keeping track, that was another personal opinion. Anyone else go one?

Add to that that the war on drugs is now funded from the 700 billion dollar secret defense fund that routinely use drug offenders to supply it's cost plus secret government contracts. We may have a reason for the war on drugs, Houston. Of course the fact that the war on drugs, homeland security, the increased spending for expensive equipment that doesn't work on one of our four open boarders, is all being approved by the same people who run the government sactioned sweatshops, is just a coinky-dink.

Bottom line is that the majority of American citizens have no say in how they live their lives.

Ending the ban of gays serving openly in the government doesn't bother the people it affects. The old school bigots who never set foot on the battlefield anymore, can't stand the thought of not setting foot on a battlefield that has openly gay people fighting for their country on it.

A question to those who not only think out side the box, but are capable of thinking in side it...what organization has been on the front lines fighting against gay's in general and, fighting for the continued supply of cheap labor pot smokers are seen as, in America?

Two possible answers, both of which could be successfully argued. The christian church and the Republican party.

How do they accomplish these goals you ask? Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand.- Cardinal de Retz

The church and the repubs have been allies in the war against knowledge. They are still winning and the losers are too stupid to realise they are cutting their own throats. For example, it's the christian conservative republican majority in Texas that is re-writing history to support their prefered version of it. If the following generations never learn the truth, they will have no reason to question the lie, amen.

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes I have an opinion.
      And it's very valuable.
      My opinion is that those "old far_s" that you're downing (if it's you and not the quoted opinion of someone else; hard to tell, your raft isn't clearly labeled I see) have protected not only your life so far, but the moral life of every American.  And your (or whoever's opinion it is) label of bigotry toward them is placed upon the wrong group of people.  You should look closer to home for that label to stick.

Stump Parrishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The old fart comment was my own. I also served this country and had several friends that were gay. They spent their lives hiding who they were in order to serve this country and protect the very people who have devoted their lives to keeping them labelled and treated as second class citizens. Please explain how someone can protect my moral life, I am unfamiliar with this concept.

I for one gave up on christianity and threw away my bigot's union card by doing so. I also don't consider labelling someone a bigot based upon their actions, as bigotry. I am working towards equal rights for all American citizens. Not just those who belong to the biggest social club in the country. The fact that these people were born as a homosexual doesn't make a bit of difference to me. They were born in this country and deserve the same rights as the self proclaimed moral majority.

1. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They already have the same human rights as anyone else does.
          To condone their agenda is to offer them special rights based on what their sexual fetishes are.  But go ahead and toot their horns if you wanna.
          And by protecting your moral life, no, apparently you don't understand.  But I'll tell you.   By removing the moral compass contained in our heritage and in particular in our Bible, America's liberal activists are taking away your accountability, and therefore doing you a great disservice, and a great disservice to those who claim to be homosexual.  Where there is no discipline, no call for self-control, there is no justice, and there is no real freedom.
          But those who think like you will probably never see that until you're already closed up in the box of liberalism, that concept that says it will free you but which actually enslaves you with its lies.

1. profile image0
            sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As in the right to marry?  The right to be affectionate and open about who they love?  The right to adopt children?  The right to be who they are without being targeted for reason that never concerned anyone outside of them?

What "special" right would that be?  The "special" right to be married?

So because homosexuals want to protect your freedoms as well as their own but because they are gay, they aren't protecting your morals.  So you you think they just have a fetish and a gay agenda to screw the military because it makes them 'hard'? 
            Because... freedom doesn't allow people to be gay?
            No, most just escaped the "strong hold" of the Bible and found real freedom. 

Viva la freedom!

All I can add is a hearty awomen. Tired of hearing all those amens.

2. Stump Parrish profile image59

My moral compass works just fine on it's own. I am responsible for my actions and live my life accordingly.

//To condone their agenda is to offer them special rights based on what their sexual fetishes are.//

You prefer to condone the actions of christian bigots based on their religious fetishes.  You demand the right to decide who has the right to each and every right our country stands for, right? 

//Where there is no discipline, no call for self-control, there is no justice, and there is no real freedom.//

You state we need self control and I agree with you. Do you believe that only by giving up control of your life to a god, you gain self control? I am in control of my life and my actions. I don't get a free pass for criminal and hateful behavior simply by accepting that god is in control of the world and all that happens in it. I don't get to kill a doctor who preforms legal proceedures and know that my crime will be celebrated by thousands of like minded people. How is that moral compass you mentioned working out of late. If you look at the populations of our prisons and realize that approx. 75% of all inmates consider themselves to be followers of your moral code, I would venture to say, not very well.

2. BobbiRant profile image60
    BobbiRantposted 13 years ago

I wouldn't assume it's 'old farts' making decisions about some of this.  I know quite a few 'young farts' who think pot smoking is awful as well as gays.  But I believe nothing wrong with either.  Live and let live.  Pot is no worse than alcohol, except alcohol has a strong lobby to keep pot off the market and as for gays, well people are people, prejudices are taught from generation to generation and bigots will be loudly heard.  I leave the judgment job to God.  If only our judicial system could judge murderers and rapists so quickly and severely maybe it'd be a better world.  Good rant!

I suppose my attitude about pot comes from the fact that I grew up in the 70's. A large number of people in my generation discovered just how much our government will lie to protect the financial interests of those they feel deserve their efforts.

Anyone who has ever smoked weed knows our government is lying about the dangers involved with marijuana use. They also are aware of the numerous health benefits that weed provides.   Anyone who knows homosexuals know that those born in America are Americans and therefore entitled to the same rights as the homophobics in the christian faith enjoys. Here's and interesting example of how these minds work. An adult male has sex with an underage female and it is statatory rape. The individual is subject to arrest and prison time. The flip side of this is that when a baptist minister or catholic priest has sex with an underage male, the victim was asking for it due to being a homosexual. Why does the presence of a penis on the victim change this from a crime to by-product of being a homosexual. I guess they just want to bring back the tried and true defense that states the victim was asking for it, right?

We have now entered the area of personal opinion on this subject. The real reason the old farts in congress want to keep homosexuality in the closet is that they are catering to the christian majority of this country as a way of staying in office. The rason the military wants to keep it there is that the old farts are actually bigoted old farts who think they and only they have all the answers. If I was still basing my entire existance on rumors that were popular during my younger days, I would still be in church and proudly condemning those I had no knowledge of other than what some bigot who was paid to spead the hate they so dearly love to share, every sunday.

3. Anesidora profile image59
    Anesidoraposted 13 years ago

The bans are stupid, but changing. Slowly, I know, but also quite quickly, considering.

I'm not one to say that pot is harmless, but I wouldn't deny its uses either.

Is it wrong to smoke pot and chill?

Or is it wrong to take something the people want and cast it into the hands of the scum of society to be distributed through means dubious and in weights questionable, giving power to the unscrupulous and compelling the public to deal with such? Is it wrong to throw people in jail, disrupt their family's well-being and ruin peoples' lives for possessing an herb?

They have rounded us all up into their claimed lands and made up all the rules. It's not right, it's not just, and it's not free.

An herb is our enemy. A friggin' herb, that makes people feel good and causes no more harm than anything else. A natural shrub, incapable of causing much of anything at all under normal circumstances, has instead been blown up into a societal monster necessitating billions of tax dollars spent annually to 'fight' against a natural substance half of the public is criminalized by their simple, harmless use of, and taken advantage of by the fact that only criminals can sell it!

The government is not protecting us in this, they are only making our lives harder, thwarting the public will and wasting our hard-earned dollars in counter-productive criminalizations and increased production and delivery costs. 

A friggin' herb. 

I feel even more upset, offended and betrayed by the bans on gays. I mean, are you friggin' kidding me? For real? Who loves who is what my government god-damned wastes time worrying about? What kind of stupid-a morons are running this show?

Friggin' 12 year olds can figure this shit out, it ain't complicated.

Oh darn, you got my blood pressure up this morning. Probably not a good thing. I'm gonna go smoke something and perform some highly illegal sex acts with my husband. No doubt this will somehow harm the sanctity of the marriage of some random self-righteous prudes down the street.

Somebody call the police.

4. Anesidora profile image59
    Anesidoraposted 13 years ago

By the way, Stump, I like the way you rant! Keep 'em coming.

Thanks for the vote of confidence and the response. Peace my new friend, I hope the hubby enjoyed bringing your blood pressure down to a tolerable level.

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Stump,

I just wrote a hub on rights versus morals. It's funny you bring this thread up. lol

@Brenda, I think you should read it. It might clue you in on your right and what is not your right.

As for this entire conversation, stems from a FoxNews link. I'm not surprised of the rant. However, do realize- the highest moral standard can never exist, due to the rights of the individual.

@Brenda, get off your high horse with the religious nonsense. It's your belief in a god that is clouding your understanding of your place in this world. You ask for perfection, but fail to notice you're asking flawed humans for it. Those who are consciously using their minds, to make decisions in their own life - can do so without your interference. That includes ridiculing them.

So much for loving another human being? hmm

1. livelonger profile image85
      livelongerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Those screaming most loudly about religious piety are those who are plainly aware that they're not living even close to those ideals.

They think screaming loudly will drown out that little voice reminding them of something they'd rather not hear. smile

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)