Belief in the Day of Judgment (Part 3)
Mankind will be exposed before their Lord. "And they shall be exposed before their Lord in ranks. " [Sura Al-Kahf (18:48)]
The Prophet (S.A.W.) said, "Mankind will be exposed three exposures on the Day of Resurrection. The (first) two exposures shall be disputation and excuses, but at the third [exposure], the scrolls [of deeds] will be distributed, and then some will take them in their right hands, others in their left."
"O mankind! You are striving in your deeds towards your Lord and [towards] meeting Him. Then, as for he who is given his book in his right hands shall be reckoned an easy reckoning, and he shall return to his family members in joy. And, as for the one who is given his book in his left hand, he shall call for destruction, and shall taste of a blazing fire." [Surah Al-Inshiqaq (84:6-12)]
"Then, by your Lord, We shall surely question them all, about what they used to do" [Surah Al Hijr (15:92-93)]
People will be questioned , on the Day of Judgment:
- About faith: You will asked about "Laa Ilaaha Illallah" (To belive in One God) [Narrated by Tirmidhi]
- About salah (prayer): "The first thing which the servant will be questioned about on the Day of Resurrection. [Narrated by Tirmidhi]
- About those under their care: "O believers! Save yourselves and your families from a Fire, whose fuel is mankind and stones." [Surah Al-Tahreem (66:6)] "Every one of you is a guardian, and every one of you will be asked about those in his care. The man is a guardian over his family, and will be questioned about those in his care. The woman is a guardian over her husband's house, and will be questioned about that in her care. The servant is a guardian over his master's property, and will be questioned for that in his care." [Narrated by Bukhari and Muslim]
- About the bodily organs: " Do not follow that which you have no knowledge of; (your) hearing, sight and heart - you will be questioned about all of them." [Surah Al-Isra (17:36)]
- About delight: "Then, you shall be questioned on that day about delight." [Surah Al-Takathur (102:8)]
- About intentions: "Whoever desires the life of the world and its adornment, We shall repay their deeds to them in it, and they will not suffer any short payment therein. They are those for whom there is nothing but the Fire in the Hereafter. In vain shall be that which they wrought therein, and null shall be that which they used to do." [Surah Hud (11:15)] In a long hadith narrated by Muslim, we are told that the men whose cases shall be judged first on the Day of Resurrection shall be a man who was martyred, a man who acquired knowledge and taught it and who recited the Holy Qur'an and a man to whom Allah (S.W.T.) had been generous and given many varieties of wealth. These men will acknowledge Allah's (S.W.T.) favors upon them, and will claim that they did these deeds for His sake. They will exposes as liars, for they did not do these deeds for the sake of Allah (S.W.T.). The man who was martyred had been fighting in order to be called brave, the scholar or reciter of the Qu'ran had acted thus in order to gain a reputation. Since deeds are according to their intentions, these people received what they had sought through these deeds, and so they will not receive reward for them on the Day of Judgment. Hence, they will be dragged into Hell.
- There are four questions which everyone must face: "The feet of a servant will not move on the Day of Resurrection until he has been questioned about [four things]: [Narrated by Tirmidhi]
1. His Life - How he spent it.
2. His Knowledge - How much he acted upon it.
3. His Wealth - Where he earned it and how he spent it.
4. His Body - How he used it.
"To Us shall be their coming, then with Us shall be their reckoning." [Surah Al-Takweer (88:25-26)]
People will be brought to account for their deeds, as well as for their resolved intentions.
When two Muslims encounter one another with their swords, the murderer and the murdered shall be in the Fire." [Narrated by Bukhari and Muslim]
There will be some who will enter heaven without reckoning. In the hadith narrated by Muslim, the Prophet (S.A.W.) says, that the nations of all prophets were exposed to him. He saw some Prophets with only one or two people, or their family members with them (i.e. no-one else had believed on them). Then, He saw a huge crowd, and thought that was his ummah. Angel Jibreel (Gabriel) alayhis-salam told him that it was actually the ummah of Prophet Moses (alayhis-salam), but he indicated to him a larger crowd which stretched from one horizon to the other, and told him that this was his ummah. He said, "and with them are 70,000 who shall enter heaven without reckoning or punishment." They are those who do not use charms, nor seek them from others, nor draw omens, but rely upon their Lord."
Martyrs of the battlefield will also be exempted from the reckoning. "While the servant are standing at the place of reckoning, a [group of] people will come with their swords on their backs dripping blood, and they will assemble at the gate of Heaven. It will be asked, "Who are these?" whereupon it will be said, "They are the martyrs; they were alive, receiving sustenance." [Narrated by Tabarani]
The balances will be erected and the deeds will be weighed. These balances will be real and will have pans and needles. Allah (S.W.T.), the Exalted and Glorified, will give the deeds of the creatures a material existence that will have weight. The good deeds will be place in one pan and the evil deeds in the other, as Allah (S.W.T.) has informed in the Holy Qu'ran Surah Al-anbiya (21:47)
We shall set up scales of justice for the Day of Judgment, so that not a soul will be dealt with unjustly in the least. And if there be (no more than) the weight of a mustard seed, We will bring it (to account): and enough are We to take account.
FIRE OF THE HELL
Allah (S.W.T.) Says, O ye in sin! get ye apart this Day! "Did I not enjoin on you, O ye choldren of Adam, that ye should not worship Satan: for that he was to you an enemy avowed?-
"And that ye should worship Me, (for that) this was the Straight Way? "But he did lead astray a great multitude of you, did ye not, then, understand?
"This is the Hell of which ye were (Repeatedly) warned! "Embrace ye the (Fire) this Day, for that ye (Persistently) rejected (Truth)."
That Day shall We set a seal on their mouths. But their hands will speak to Us, and their feet bear witness, to all that they did. [Surah Yasiin (36:59-65)]
On the Day that the enemies of Allah (S.W.T.) will gathered together to the Fire, they will be marched in ranks.
At length, when they reach the (Fire), their hearing, their sight, and their skins will bear witness against them, as to (all) their deeds. They will say to their skins: "Why bear ye witness against us?" They will say: "Allah (S.W.T.) hath given us speech,- (He) Who giveth speech to everything: He created you for the first time, and unto Him were ye to return. [Surah Hamiim (41:19-21)]
Verily the companinons of the Garden shall that Day have joy in all that they do; They and their associates will be in groves of (cool) shade, reclining on Thrones (of dignity); (Every) fruit (enjoyment) will be there for them; they shall have whatever they call for; "Peace!" a Word (of salutation) from a Lord Most Merciful!