- Religion and Philosophy
How To Conduct A Séance
The How To Guide For The Séance
Conducting a Séance
A guide to the art of contacting the dead
By: Sam Little
Before I get started I would like to add that these rules are taken from many sources and sites. Mediums and the such have come together to present these rules. I have simply collected them.
Seances, the ritual of communing with the departed. Hollywood has presented us with many images of the séance, all of which are over exaggerated and stretched to far out extremes. The real séance is much more scarier than anything Hollywood could give us. In this article I will list the rules that many mediums follow when conducting seances. I will also discuss the séance itself and give you an example of the last séance I was able to take part in. I hope to let this article serve as a guide and a warning to those who seek to contact the dead. First let's observe the rules used by many mediums.
- First you must gather the people who will be involved. Some sources say the number should be divisible by three but this does not seem to really matter, however it is a common thought that no less than three people should ever attempt a séance.
- Use a round table. This makes it easy to symbolize the unity and creates the circle of strength.
- Light candles in the center of the table. The spirits will seek the warmth and the light. It is best to use no less then three candles in this ritual.
- Dim all of the lights in the room and be sure to eliminate all of the distractions. Do not have music or a TV going at the same time as the ritual. This will create disturbance and possibly anger the spirits.
- All participants must join hands. This completes the ritual circle and unites all involved.
- Summon the spirit. The participants must speak these words together: "Our beloved [name of spirit], we bring you gifts from life into death. Commune with us, (name of spirit), and move among us."
- Don't hesitate to ask questions and the such once the spirit comes through. That is what you are here for.
- At first ask only yes or no questions. Do not over bare the spirit or it may choose to leave.
- If the séance gets out of control break the circle and command the spirit to return to it's place.
- Always end the session by thanking the spirit.
- Have a purpose and state the purpose for all involved.
- Have the séance at night, spirits seem more comfortable with that
- Choose a date relative to the spirit. A birthday or holiday is best
- Location can be vital. Choose a location that will host the number of sitters and will be positive for the cause
There are also tips that some mediums have used to conduct a séance. I have included those here for reference.
- Leave a food such as soup or bread in the center of the table. Spirits will relate to earthly food.
- Place a personal object of the spirit you wish to contact in the center of the table. The spirit will feel this object and the earthly connection to it.
- Choose a medium that can be trusted and that knows nothing about the spirit you wish to contact that way what you hear can be verified or not.
- Never allow skeptics or non believers at the séance as their negative energy could anger the spirit or worse attract a negative entity.
- Always maintain polite manors when dealing with a spirit
- Never allow anyone who is searching to gain a profit by what you are doing in.
I wanted to present my experience in hopes that it will allow you to see just how dangerous a séance can be. Many years ago I was asked to come to a party at a haunted house. The reason was to see if we could make contact with the spirit of a little girl who accidentally froze to death. I had just started serious work into the field and felt it would be at the very least an interesting night so I contacted several friends who shared the interest I had in the paranormal and we went to this location. Upon arrival I insisted before we do anything to contact a spirit I wanted to know the story of the little girl. This is the story I was told. It seems a family of three lived in the home at one point. The father was quite an odd man and was very quite while the mother and daughter were outgoing. The father had left one very cold and snowy winter day to go to work in a mine. The mother had gone to a friends house and the daughter was left alone. (not an uncommon thing in those days.) The daughter in a hurry to tell her dad goodbye ran out the door toward his car but was to late he had already gone. When she got back to the door she had found she inadvertilyy locked herself out in the snow. Wearing only her nightgown she was very cold. Later that night the father arrived home to find the daughter curled up on the porch of the house, she had frozen to death. This sent him into a depression that ultimetly led to his death. I was very shaken by this story and felt that the little girl was possibly stuck here and we could help.
I than met a girl who I will call Zelda to protect her real name. She was a very noted medium and spiritual person. To demonstrate her ability she gave tarot readings to several people in what she called year terms. In one year what she had read to them would happen. At the time I thought nothing of it but sure enough every reading came true within a year, but back to the séance. Zelda set us down to tell us what we needed to do and just what we hoped to accomplish with this sitting. I myself have always been a bit skeptic of seances and felt that perhaps we could have conducted EVP work and gotten a better result but the group insisted we let Zelda do her thing and I was very confident in her ability so I agreed. She began by trying to make contact with the little girl. This would prove a disturbing moment. tears began to streak down her face and the look of sheer terror filled her and I am sure myself as well. Lies!!!! All lies she said over and over again. Than the true story was told to us, one that would haunt me even to this day.
The little girl had no mother, or the mother was away. She had been playing in the snow and the dad was hard at work, but not in the mines, he was nursing yet another beer. He was a drunk. He had called for the little girl to come in and she asked for a few more minutes to play in the snow, roughly about a foot deep. The father in a fit of rage and upset that the little girl did not come in, locked the door and told her to stay in the snow, he did not give a damn. He either fell asleep or just didn't care but the little girl was in the snow all day. He found her dead later that evening and covered it up with a fake story simular to the one we had heard. The man continued to drink and eventually he died of complications caused by his love of alcohol.
I was upset. That story was one that I felt would possibly create a more dangerous séance as we now could be dealing with the father as well. While discussing the séance and what would need to happen, Ronald Miller, Dravenstar's occult specialists was preparing healing and protection spells in another room. I was asked to help with this and went to lend a hand. Suddenly a candle in a glass holder shattered and I was hit in the forehead. The cut was small but enough to tell me we were in for a night that would not be a very pleasant one. Also while discussing the situation the words help me appeared on the ceiling written in smudges. Everyone felt bad for the little girl and than I came through with some senseable thought. The little girl was roughly 8 and could not have reached the ceiling which was at the very least 7 foot from the ground. As soon as I had finished my thought Ronald's knife flew into the wall. I was at first very skeptic and felt one of the group had to have done it. At least three of the people there were quite good with throwing knives and the such from martial arts experience so I wrote that off as nothing more then trickery. Windows opened and closed and we heard growls and moans and finally we decided the time was now.
As we set for the séance we were instantly taken back by the fact that we could see our breath. The night was warm and summer was in full force yet here we were seeing our breath. The temperature dropped dramatically and we found ourself listening to Zelda. Suddenly a member of the group spoke up and claimed to have seen the little girl. He reached out but found something much worse. He ended up suffering severe coldness and the such. Some of the group even claim hypothermia resulted. We could not control the séance so Zelda ended it. several members present did not believe in ghost yet after this they were convinced. We all came away safe but with a better grasp at the power of the other side. I hope if you try to contact the dead you are prepared for anything. happy hunting.
Please if you are going to try this be careful. Remember that opening yourself up to the other side could result in very bad things happening to you.