How to Start Having a Quiet Time with God
Find a Quiet Place
First, getting up early in the morning is a good idea when starting a quiet time with God. It's not essential to do your devotional time in the morning, but for many people, it is helpful to start your day off with the Word of God and prayer. If you are absolutely not a morning person, of course you can also have your quiet time at night.
Once you decide on a regular time, find a quiet place where you can comfortably sit and read, and pray. This place could be:
- Outside on your balcony or porch, in your favorite wicker chair
- In your living room in a comfy easy chair
- At the park, sitting on your favorite bench
- At your kitchen table in the quiet of the morning
Or anywhere you like! Wherever it is, make sure your quiet spot is free from distractions. Make sure it is a calm place, where you can read, pray, and maybe even journal your thoughts and prayers.
Bring your Bible (and perhaps a Prayer Journal, Devo Books)
Take with you:
- your Bible
- a Prayer Journal, if you have one
- a devotional book, if you choose
Remember to leave behind/silence:
- cell phones
- any technology or otherwise noisy items that could potentially distract you
- that is, unless you are using a Bible app on your phone, which can be very helpful... As long as you can resist the temptation to look at social media!
This is a time to focus on and hear from the Lord, not browse Facebook, Instagram, and text all your buddies! Focus, focus, focus! ;)
It's helpful to bring a prayer journal so that you can record what you are reading and learning about as you do your devotional times, as well as write down your prayer requests/praise reports.
- A prayer request is something you ask of God
- A praise report is simply praising God for His answers to your petitions
~Helpful Tip!~ It's awesome to look back over the years and realize how many prayers the Lord has answered, so writing them down is really special!
If you choose to bring a devotional book, it can be beneficial. However, remember to keep this time primarily about studying the Word of God and hearing God's voice through the Bible. Devotional books are supplementary only. Nothing can replace the power of the inspired Word of God!
Start out with Prayer
Start your time by quieting your heart before the Lord. Pray and ask that God will bless your time together and bring to mind anything He wants to impress upon your heart through the reading of Scripture.
This could include:
- Something God is trying to show you to encourage you
- Unconfessed sin your life, that you need to repent of
- Character traits of God that He wants to remind you of through His Word,
and so on.
Read: One chapter from OT, then one chapter from NT
You can read the Bible in any order; however, I recommend reading one chapter from the Old Testament, and one chapter from the New Testament.
~Helpful Tip!~ If you don't have time to read that much, at least read a Psalm or a Proverb. They are generally short, and it's still better to start your day with that than nothing at all. It's surprising what even 5 minutes with God can do to change your heart and mind, and turn your thoughts toward the Lord!
Record your Observations / What you Learned
Record what you learned and observed from today's readings.
- You can write this down in your prayer journal, or
- You can also write in the margins of your Bible
Why not? It's your Bible, right? ;) Plus then, you can go back and read it again later, and it's always a good reminder.
Close Your Time with Prayer
When you're finished with your readings for the day, read whatever devotional books you have with you.
Next, close your time with prayer.
- Ask the Lord to call to mind what you learned from His Word throughout your day
- Pray God continues to impress His truths upon your life
- Pray for the outpouring of God's Spirit in your life today and always!
Of course you should also:
- Repent of any sins in your life
- Pray for anyone you know who is sick or struggling
- Pray God helps you to bless those around you today
and pray for / praise God for anything else He brings to your attention.
Remember, Jesus Loves You!
If you skip a day, or a week, or a month... Don't beat yourself up too much! Just get up the next morning and go to your quiet place, and read God's Word and pray again.
Remember, "A righteous man falls seven times, and rises again."
Keep seeking the Lord! Jesus Christ loves you!